The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Buying my first DSM

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talon_20

Probationary Member
Apr 11, 2010
Toronto, ON_Canada
Hi all,

I've recently decided to sell my fox body mustang in favour of a Talon Tsi AWD. I've been searching through forums and trying to do as much research as possible before posting here. I basically need help deciding what year of Talon to buy. I was originally set on a 92-94 because I had been scared off of 2G's by everyone talking about crankwalk. Now I'm reading that if you can find a well running 2G car with over 100,000 miles and who's clutch pedal doesn't stick when depressed in a left turn then you've pretty much got the same chance of walking your engine than if you had a 6-bolt. I'm also confused by which years of the 2G are the least likely to walk, some places say 95 and 99 are the best to get, and others say that the 95's are the worst and again 99's are the best. Thanks for your help even with all this confusion I'm still so excited to get a DSM!

Also, the budget for my new car is about $4000 if that affects anything.

Crankwalk is extremely over rated. There was even a poll or 2 done here asking how many people have actually had crankwalk on a car they had and it was confirmed to be crankwalk, not just "a friend of a friend said their friend had similar issues and it was c-walk..." and not that many had actually gotten it.

I think from what I remember, the 95-97 were "most likely" as in 98 and 99 the upgrade (forgot the name right off the top of my head) that was done basically "got rid" of it.

Any motor can walk, even the 6-bolts, although very very uncommon. Basically, don't make a decision based on c-walk.

In all honesty I'd buy the one that you think looks best. We could go on for days and days as to which year is best because they all have pros and cons. Me personally I'd take a '90 tsi (only tsi, don't ask me why but I don't like the eclipse or laser), or a 98-99 eclipse. Those are really the only years/models that I like 100%.

EDIT: For the cash, if you grab a 92-94 you'll have more money to upgrade/do maintenance on. Don't know what your plans are, but the older cars are definitely cheaper obviously

Believe it or not my buddies 1g decided to crank walk. Jacked it up and we could move the crank a half inch to a inch (insane). However 2g are most common to have this condition. Base it on what you'd like.

I would say based on your budget and concerns, a 1st gen would be the best bet for you. I wish i had gotten a 1st gent to be honest.

Great, thanks I think I'll start considering 2G's as well, two more questions:

I'm 5'7" I've heard that the seats in DSM's are really low, is there a difference in this between the 1G and 2G?

Is there a major performance difference between a FWD Tsi and an AWD Tsi? There seems to be a lot more FWD cars available, thanks.

Go with AWD. With even a little bit of boost, you will spin the tires of fwd like crazy. I'm 5'7 as well and have owned a '90 tsi awd and been in the passenger seat a lot of a 2g spyder. I can easily see out of both with the stock seats and even racing seats.

If you buy a fwd, I have a feeling in a month or 2 you will be searching for an awd, so might as well just get awd from the start.

Allright thanks everyone, I'm going to start looking for a 92-99 Tsi AWD then! I'll be back when I get my car :thumb:

Goodluck. There are lots of these cars around if you look and/or can drive a little to get them, so don't just jump on the first one you see. Give it a good inspection and make sure you test drive it, or at least ride with them while they drive it, and make sure you/them get on it so you can see how it responds hot/cold and at idle and while being pushed hard. Look forward to seeing what you buy :)

When you check out the car, if you can do a compression test. Get underneath her and look for any rust. My advice is look for a stock one. Less chance of a hack job on it. Good luck I hope to see a new thread with good news. And may a say good step up from the mustangs. :thumb:
Taran

As long as its a turbo DSM who cares or if you got the cash to turbo a NT. Personally I like the 2GB Eclipse body style. It's all up to you. I couldn't afford a AWD around me for what I wanted so I went with a GST. Goodluck with your search. Last two I've bought on Craiglist.

I'd sell you mine if you were closer and had a bit more cash haha.

Really though I'd still always want a 6bolt, more peace of mind and stronger internally a bit.
I also prefer 1g's, I'd avoid a 1990 just because of the differences.

I love my 92 because it has the 4bolt rear end as well.
1g's are also easier to work on than a 2g.

It's just all in personal taste.

I think from what I remember, the 95-97 were "most likely" as in 98 and 99 the upgrade (forgot the name right off the top of my head) that was done basically "got rid" of it.

In 99 they went with a split thrust bearing design which is the same as in an EVO.

To the OP, I take it you don't like the 1ga? If you get a 2g, just check the crank end play, shock towers, spare wheel well rust, rust under the hatch, rust under the lower radiator support, rust here, rust there... No matter what year you get, do a compression test, check for shaft play in the turbo, check the tie rods, wheel bearings, take it for a test drive if possible, bring an engine code scanner with you if there's a Check Engine Light on.

Why would you want to get rid of your Foxbody?

The reason I'm getting rid of my mustang is that I need a car that I can drive in the Canadian winter for next year, it sucks but I'm also excited for a change. Also my 'stang is automatic which is lame LOL.

97 is supposedly most common to walk, then 95-96, 98, then 99 was supposedly least common. Although I've heard of the later built 6 bolts walking as well. I think overall its pretty overrated though.

The slim chance of any 2g you buy walking is not worth making it a factor in your decision. And if you want a good car in the snow, then I highly recommend the awd. I can personally attest to how well these cars handle snowy winters after getting hit by two blizzards this past winter. Besides that, I would still highly recommend getting an awd DSM. It was worth the wait for me. You just have to drive an awd one and you'll never want to settle for the fwd again, at least that's how I was.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back