The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G No fuel no spark no cel= not good

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bnaimi

Probationary Member
Dec 17, 2023
Fremont, California
The car is a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX stick shift

It’s my wife’s car (her daily driver). Got the car from a friend of mine for free just had to get it running and I did. Changed the fuel pump and filter and cleaned out gas tank to add new gas (car was sitting for 17 years in a garage). Just to get the car out of there I used a battery that was bigger then the one that came in the car.

After a week of driving it with this oversized battery my wife is driving home from work and goes over a speed bump and the battery arcs out on bottom of hood. Never have I seen a throttle cable get stuck because it melted the plastic tube it’s inside so I change the cable to a different one and she was supposed to get a new battery since she had the issue with the one in it (put a piece of cardboard temporary in between). She opened the hood and checked the oil and she did it again a week later and the new cable melted again. So this time I bought the battery and changed it.

Anyways. Change the cable for the second time all is well for a week and car running great she falls in love with the car, then out of nowhere the car just stopped running.

The fuel pump wasn’t turning on so I figure I know why it’s because I ran some of that old gas through the pump. No big deal I will get a new pump and this time I will change the fuel filter also since I had some extra money. After changing the pump and filter on side of road on a rainy day I go to put the battery in and I told her, let me put the battery in, but she want to be part of everything to do with the car because she loves it so much and she connects the battery backwards.

FML!

This forum has been very helpful and useful and I tried searching through the topics but I didn’t find any pictures of ECU like the one we have in our car so i was hoping someone can tell me if anything looks burnt on the board.

The scanner can not communicate with the ECU (using a new snap on scanner) even when I try and put direct power to fuel pump it won’t power up. But when I removed the pump from the car to bench test it it works.

The white and red wire to fuel pump relay does show 12v when ignition is turned on but the power doesn’t go to the black and blue wire. Also I have gotten an OEM fuel pump relay (MFI) and swapped it out to see if maybe the relay was bad and still same problem.

It seems as if the ground to not only the fuel pump but the whole ECU and ignition system (no spark) is no longer there. All the powers and fuses show good.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
The would be my last suspect but plausible.

EVERY fuse needs to be checked as step 1.

Bad fuse power on 1 prong.
Good fuse power on both prongs.
Unloaded fuse no power to either prong.

Check them with key ON.

My favorite method is with a testlight.

The bigger amp fuses that dont have “prongs” need to be thoroughly visually inspect for a break in the “bridge”

Your problem is LACK OF PROPER GROUNDS, that is why the throttle cable got toasted. It was the least resistance to ground and that tiny little wire handled all of it. Go back over the car and ground the starter bolt to the battery, the firewall to the battery and there is one more. I don't remember where it went, maybe the fender well??? Anyway, fix the grounds and put a new throttle cable on again and that will fix the burned up cable issue. I guarantee that is what happened and will again if the grounds are not on the car in the correct places.
Marty

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back