The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

420A Mitsubishi 1999 Eclipse GS transmission replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99redeclipse

Probationary Member
Nov 15, 2022
Lillington, North_Carolina
I have a 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS that was an automatic from factory but the guy I bought it off of swapped it to a manual and it’s time for a new transmission. So I was wondering what transmission for other Eclipses are compatible with the 420a engine? being as I cannot find one for my model and year as they were automatic cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gs 99 cars were not exclusively automatic. My dad has one actually that’s manual in the oz edition. 97-99 gs/rs should be a direct bolt on. 95-96 should bolt on as well but may need to change the speed sensor and gear to the existing one.

I’m not aware of any difference between 2ga and 2gb manuals in the 420a’s minus maybe the speed sensor which is easy to take care of if need be.

-Daniel

Oh okay Thankyou Daniel, I wasn’t aware of that I asked the guy I bought it from and he said that he got the manual transmission from a 98 gst. It’s been impossible to find a new manual transmission for the actual car year and model so I was just wondering if I could put a manual transmission from another eclipse with a different year.

Oh okay Thankyou Daniel, I wasn’t aware of that I asked the guy I bought it from and he said that he got the manual transmission from a 98 gst. It’s been impossible to find a new manual transmission for the actual car year and model so I was just wondering if I could put a manual transmission from another eclipse with a different year.
Can't be a gst unless you have a turbo car. Motors are on oppositevsides if car and a different manufacturer. You stated its gs so it should have the 420a cheysler motor in it.

Can't be a gst unless you have a turbo car. Motors are on oppositevsides if car and a different manufacturer. You stated its gs so it should have the 420a cheysler motor in it.
Yeah that’s what the guy said I don’t think he knew what he was talking about to be honest because I was thinking the same thing all along.

so will anything from a 95 to 99 rs/gs manual transmission be compatible with my car?

I’d try to stick to 97-99 if you can unless someone with more knowledge can confirm that 95-96 is fine. I know it will bolt up just not sure about the speed sensor.

-Daniel

95-99 manual trans for the 420a cars are all the same NVT350 transmission. Good luck finding one from an Eclipse as they are getting few and far between.

You can also get the transmission from Dodge Neons and Chrysler PT Cruisers.

PT cruisers are bolt in and gear ratios are very close to the same. They have 3.94 final drive gears 3rd and 5th are exactly the same. 1st and 2nd gear are slightly longer and 4th is slightly shorter. The difference is so small you wouldn't even notice.

Dodge Neons use cable clutches from 95-99 and very early 2000 models so you have to swap the bell housing from your original transmission to the neon trans to make it work in those years, 00-05 are the same bell housing and bolt right in

Neons did come with 2 different final drive gear ratios. Base models got 3.55 and 3.94 are found in DOHC cars and Magnum SOHC cars. The 3.94 is the same gearing as the Eclipses came with, the 3.55 is higher gearing so you will have lower RPM but car is still completely drivable and if you like to cruise at 80 on the highway it actually cruises quieter since the RPMs are lower.

I’d try to stick to 97-99 if you can unless someone with more knowledge can confirm that 95-96 is fine. I know it will bolt up just not sure about the speed sensor.

-Daniel
I believe you’re right. The 95-96 use the round pin connector and the 97-99 use the more familiar flat pin style. If it becomes necessary, you can either swap the sensor or the connector on the engine harness. The only thing to watch out for when changing the speed sensor out is if you have to remove the gear on the end of it. There are two retaining teeth that are easily broken if care isn’t taken during separation.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back