The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Lets talk Difs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I purchased my stock EVo 8 diff off evom forums for $450 shipped.

I received it today from UPS and immediately got to tearing it down and re-organizing the clutch plates inside. Installed the ring gear and slapped it in with the original Eclipse bearings and shims. Gonna take it to a local gear works company to have it shimmed and the backlash set the way it should be, as I don't feel capable.
I can never find deals like that. I have a local wrecking yard that quoted me $500 a while back, so I might just take that deal when I'm able to.

Not sure if they make it anymore but there is a build flaw in it that leads to premature failure fairly quickly. Until that's solved you probably don't want it.

So without that the only option I think we have right now is the four spider with the stock viscous.

I heard of Quiafe center diff faliures but never Cuscos. The Quiafe center diff for a while there were issues with the casting but they have since fixed that.

Cuscos in other hand was better and i just love the fact that its transfer the power to the rear better becasue of the bias. Our car tend to act like front wheel drive till the rear kicks in.

When Charles ESP car self destructed last year, it trashed the Cusco center diff, and we haven't been able to find a replacement. I believe that Charles was even calling Japan to track one down, no joy.

Samuel Krauss
08 Expedition
04 S4
98 Talon
95 Talon

Have you guys check the Cusco's delars?

That was initially the case, but ACM has confirmed that the 2G NLSD splines dont fully engage the splines in the dif (too short), even though they look like they do, and he ended up shearing one....or two. The solution is to get the EVO axles, per a thread on another forum I examined a while back where a guy was doing this install on his GVR4. He purchased the EVO axles with the dif. He then removed the inner cups from both axles, along with the part (I dont know what its called :tease:) that goes on the splines of the axles and rides in the inner cups, and just swapped the EVO parts onto his GVR4 axles and everything fit fine, though he did have to remove the dust shields (the part that covers the axle seal in the dif) from the EVO cups for them to fit.

I don't know about 1Gs, but the 2G non-LSD rear axles are the correct size for the Kaaz/Cusco/Evo I/II/III rear diffs, the short VC LSD axle is too short, with only half the spline length engaging into the side gear; the splines will get ripped off after 3.5 ProSolo events, and the car will be coming home on a trailer from the 4th event.

According to this super old post 2g non lsd axles are plug and play?

Well guys, just found our Evo I, II, III, Cusco tarmac center diff on ebay. Looks like they have several of them in stock.

Cusco Tarmac Gear Mitsubishi EVO 1 3 CD9A CE9A 4g63 510 020 A | eBay

No he doesn't have a single one ! Lying git :notgood:

That was one of my last stops trying to replace my Tarmac as Cusco shipped a lot of them to the Antipodes. That guy (like most) simply loaded up the Cusco ecatalogue and went from there. I rather disgusted ebay hasn't canned him, as they drop sellers for lesser infractions. Fortunately I was refunded just over 100% thanks to a currency shift.

The Evo I-III Tarmac diff is not available from Cusco - special order or otherwise - they have no spare parts for it and they have no intention of producing any. I can get the Tarmac recreated, but at a cost of around $8k for the first one :(

2G non-LSD axles are plug and play with the Evo rear LSD. The problem is the 'short side' VC LSD axle - it looks like it will work, but it's actually an inch or so too short. Look at them a week apart and they look the same, but sitting next to each other the difference is clear.

According to this super old post 2g non lsd axles are plug and play?

My apologies, clearly, I misinterpeted what I read in those posts:notgood:. Thanks for getting this corrected. Now, I wonder if I can get my hands on a set of 2G NLSD rear axles to see if I can rob the inner cups and the other hardware to put onto some 1G 4 bolt rears:hmm:

No he doesn't have a single one ! Lying git :notgood:

That was one of my last stops trying to replace my Tarmac as Cusco shipped a lot of them to the Antipodes. That guy (like most) simply loaded up the Cusco ecatalogue and went from there. I rather disgusted ebay hasn't canned him, as they drop sellers for lesser infractions. Fortunately I was refunded just over 100% thanks to a currency shift.

The Evo I-III Tarmac diff is not available from Cusco - special order or otherwise - they have no spare parts for it and they have no intention of producing any. I can get the Tarmac recreated, but at a cost of around $8k for the first one :(

2G non-LSD axles are plug and play with the Evo rear LSD. The problem is the 'short side' VC LSD axle - it looks like it will work, but it's actually an inch or so too short. Look at them a week apart and they look the same, but sitting next to each other the difference is clear.

what would be the price if you maden 10 or more of them?

Are you calling me a lying git? or the seller? LOL

I simply found the add on ebay. I have never dealth with that guy on ebay so idk, i was too thinking about getting one, but from your experience looks like its a dud.

The seller is the lying git - note the post says more than 10 available ? Right - he has none, zippo. The one listed as sold is me trying to buy one.

I don't know what the cost for 10 would be - obviously less that $8k, less than $5k - probably not. I seriously doubt there are another 9 DSM owners as stupid as me LOL

what would be the price if you maden 10 or more of them?

Probably not low enough for the typical DSM owner LOL

The seller is the lying git - note the post says more than 10 available ? Right - he has none, zippo. The one listed as sold is me trying to buy one.

I don't know what the cost for 10 would be - obviously less that $8k, less than $5k - probably not. I seriously doubt there are another 9 DSM owners as stupid as me LOL

You mean at least 8 more DSM owners ROFL

It would be more expensive sending over seas. Need to send to Mexico.

FYI I redid my entire rear suspension setup. Poly bushings throughout the rear and re-installed the rear subframe with evo 8 diff/stock pumpkin last night. 2g non lsd axles popped right in just like stock and are secure just like Mitsu intended it to be in there. 95 TSI AWD

Post pics or it didn't happen.

:D

Seriously though, your post needs pics! Drivetrain tech is not covered here well at all -as far as modding articles go.

It's amazing the misinformation going on about swapping the stock rear open diff for the DSM lsd diff. Some say one axle is too long/not long enough then someone says it's actually the other side. Then others say it's the diff cups that are the problem and not the axle, etc etc etc the list goes on.

That's just an example of what I meant earlier, I realize you swapped in an EVO 8 diff. By the way, EVO diffs are the clutch type, correct?

Daves post is hilarious, I feel the same way around here some days :shhh:

What axle setup is your car? You have the 3, 4 bolt, or the splined setup? Reason I ask is -I've been waiting to install this stock DSM LSD diff in my non-LSD 97' GSX and might run into a few complications. So I've just been letting it sit on the shelf until I'm done with the wire tuck and other stuff.

So if I can pick up an EVO8 diff and pop it right in like nothing I'd rather do that than go in blind.

Here's what I'm talking about, pictures are of my diff:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dri...-lsd-insert-no-bolt-design.html#post152920331

Thanks, thats good to know!

How much they go for? And where should I be looking? Any identifiers on the diff to make sure it's the one I need? (like mine says BFH on the back)

When I was looking for one I was on evolutionm.net I sourced my evo 8 diff for $450 shipped. I wouldn't pay more then $500 but, thats up to you. Ebay has a bunch of overpriced ones, depending on how much your looking to spend. Your looking for any Evo 8/9 rear diff thats not AYC

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back