The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G It smells like gas

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANGELRAY

Proven Member
Jan 29, 2024
Lubbock, Texas
I opened the the oil cap today and it smelled like gas inside, is that good or bad? And there was a little bit for white liquid on the cap not sure if I have a leak.
Anyone able to help diagnose LOL?

I’m getting a ECMLink to tune it but not sure if I need to repair anything on the engine.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Based on other posts it's not surprising that it smells like gas. Condensation can cause milky oil deposits.

Make sure you have a good PCV valve and change the oil. Since you're going to install ECMLink you'll need to verify exactly what injectors are installed so you can set it up.

I'm not a fan of the Magnacore spark plug wires but if they work for you, great. Keep an eye on them they are known for shorting out.

Please update your profile or build thread as you discover what you have.

Based on other posts it's not surprising that it smells like gas. Condensation can cause milky oil deposits.

Make sure you have a good PCV valve and change the oil. Since you're going to install ECMLink you'll need to verify exactly what injectors are installed so you can set it up.

I'm not a fan of the Magnacore spark plug wires but if they work for you, great. Keep an eye on them they are known for shorting out.

Please update your profile or build thread as you discover what you have.
I was reading some forums about the turbo I have and they were saying that the stock fuel injectors short out or something like that and that they were gonna upgrade to 650 or 550 fuel injectors would this be a good idea for me ?

I'm really surprised that with the SBR Turbo you don't already have some sort of larger injectors and fuel pump, which is why I keep requesting you do an inventory of exactly what's in your car.

Depending on what fuel you are thinking of running you might want much larger injectors but on gas I think you going to want bigger than 650's to avoid maxing out the duty cycle.

Marty might have a better idea what would be the right size.

I'm really surprised that with the SBR Turbo you don't already have some sort of larger injectors and fuel pump, which is why I keep requesting you do an inventory of exactly what's in your car.

Depending on what fuel you are thinking of running you might want much larger injectors but on gas I think you going to want bigger than 650's to avoid maxing out the duty cycle.

i have the stock fuel injectors in with a 190 walbro fuel pump ill be taking a inventory this weekend and updating the car info

I personally would look at 1100-1200cc injectors and scale them back. If you change fuels (E85) you will need 30% more fuel delivery to the injectors right off the bat and then more if you turn up your boost and are running Ethanol. I bring it up because, if you have the ability to run E85, you will notice a pretty good increase in power and with power it requires sufficient fuel supply, which 550's or 650's just can't do. These are my personal opinions, but I run 1100's in my mostly stock 90 GSX and just scaled them down for gasoline.

Have to ask. How did you verify this?
i bought the fuel pump the week after i got the car i didn't trust he put a new one in so i put one in ,and the injectors im just assuming they look like the stock ones not sure just assuming

I personally would look at 1100-1200cc injectors and scale them back. If you change fuels (E85) you will need 30% more fuel delivery to the injectors right off the bat and then more if you turn up your boost and are running Ethanol. I bring it up because, if you have the ability to run E85, you will notice a pretty good increase in power and with power it requires sufficient fuel supply, which 550's or 650's just can't do. These are my personal opinions, but I run 1100's in my mostly stock 90 GSX and just scaled them down for gasoline.
if i do get the 1100cc what kinda fuel pump would i need to ??

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back