The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Oil smells like gas and bad sputter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drag0nsfire69

Probationary Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sd, Mississippi
The oil in my car smell like gas and at 2000 rpm it starts to sputter it does puff out some dark smoke and the cat is gutted the car is running rich getting bad gas mileage it runs pretty good when it first starts and will drive fine but if u put gas or turn it off it wont go over about 40/50 mph and wont go over about 2/2500 rpm after a while if u push the clutch in and rev it will but even after it just imediatly drops down to 2k rpm tommorrow I will try and post a video on youtube to show what I mean the car is 1997 gst

If your oil smells like gas, you should definately quit driving it untill you figure out the problem. bad rings (or pistons) could allow fuel into the oil pan. Fuel in the oil pan greatly reduces viscosity. Reduced viscosity = SEVERE engine damage.

Sounds like your car is misfiring. You have a CEL? Does the CEL flash when it acts up? A simple test (you could get zapped ) but while it's running pull a spark plug wire off one at a time and seems if how it's running does not change. Then if it don't you have a problem with that cylinder. The cylinder is loading with fuel and going to the base mixing with the oil. That explains the smell. Also raw fuel is not being ignited into the cylinder and going out the exhaust that's explains the running rich. Hope this helps

I do have a cel but it doesnt flash when it was checked showed maf so I replaced it but its still on

What code did you have? Do you have a way to look at live data? By the description given you are definitely running rich. It would be helpful to know your fuel trims and the grams per second the maf is showing at idle. If you can look at live data check to see if your front o2 is cycling and make sure your coolant temp is reading correctly.

If you have a cell phone with Bluetooth order an obd2 adapter from ebay and download torque... cheapest way to check and clear codes and it will monitor your fuel trims and o2 voltage as well while its running... for $20 you can't really beat it to use for diagnostics.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back