The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b-morr

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 24, 2007
Aurora, Florida
I can't seem to get my intake manifold off. I need to replace the gasket but I cant get to the bolts underneath the mani. Theres not much room, its a 6-bolt sawp, and I don't feel like pulling the head.

Just gotta really dig in there. Shit job, but it can be done! If need be, remove as much crap as you can to get at them. You should be able to remove the battery and junk on the passenger side and attack from there.

Yeah thats what I've been trying. Maybe I just need to keep at it.

Like supa dexta said you jus gotta keep diggin in there. It's a pain but it can be done. Lucky for me I removed my a/c so i can jus reach up and get at em from under the car pretty easy. Then again i have a 1G. I don't really know what a 2G is like but it shouldn't be much different.

^ Definitely agree. Changed my old 2G manifold for a better one recently.

Due to time constraints and (expected) weather conditions, I was only able to uninstall the 2G manifold. However, I have some suggestions for removing the manifold without pulling your hair out.

I HIGHLY recommend jacking the car up, dropping the downpipe, and taking the starter out to reach the four hard-to-reach bolts at the bottom of the manifold/head. I replaced my starter back last fall, and knew ahead of time it was a cinch. But I had somewhat forgotten how much room there was behind the block with the DP and starter out of the way. There is TONS of room for your greasy little hands when removing these two things. This especially goes for those of us who are under 5'6" or have thin arms or small hands. It was an absolute breeze to take off those four pesky bolts at the bottom when going from underneath. :)

Other than that I don't have much to add. ;)

Pull the starter out and you will be able to get to the bolts with a wrench. If you have a racheting box wrench that will help alot. But you still won't be able to get them all with the racheting box wrench.

Pull the starter out and you will be able to get to the bolts with a wrench. If you have a racheting box wrench that will help alot. But you still won't be able to get them all with the racheting box wrench.

I didnt have to pull the starter to easily get to the bolts....I just went under the car and used my gearwrench's on them suckers.

Darn, I was hoping there was an easier way then underneath. My jack broke and my buddy is out of town with his. But thanks guys for the replies.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back