The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Ignition issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bskills

15+ Year Contributor
May 11, 2008
Jersey City, New_Jersey
Hi guys, Need some help here.
One morning I started my car and first thing is realized was that my RPM meter wasn't working. After driving for a few miles, my car started to run on 2 cylinders. Further checks revealed that #2 & #3 wasn't getting any spark. So far, I checked my ECU, injectors, Plugs and Wires, even changed my fuel filter and all are ok. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

on a 91+ the power transistor would be the only thing to drop your tach signal. even if it is firing a bad coil you'll get the correct tach signal.

The manuals show the tach gate on the output side of the transistor and I assumed it needed to see the pulsing 12v from the coils to trigger its signal. I guess it would be easy to test by just disconnecting the coil pack and see if you still get a tach reading on the gauge to prove one way or another if the transistor is the only thing that could drop you tach signal. I don't believe it is but I'm interested to learn otherwise.

yes that makes sense especially as the manual says when code 44 is present that it could either be the power transistor or coil.

It was the power translator. I played around with it and the car would catch a few times. Swapped mine with an Evo 3 and it worked like a charm. I also ordered an extra one for a back up.

I Just decided to post an update. In case anyone who sees this tread, they know that I was successful. I have been doing some upgrades to the car, but so far, everything is working good. About to get it tuned with ecmlink v3. Looking to for 400HP.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back