The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

How to Spot a Fake HKS SSQV BOV

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2gmitsueclipse

DSM Wiseman
Jul 13, 2005
Auburn Hills, Michigan
I almost purchased a fake HKS SSQV BOV. It seems as one of those "If it's too good to be true, it probably is." I came across some really good information that differentiates a genuine HKS SSQV from one counterfeit. They are becoming very common on ebay and even on forums as well. This is to benefit those that care to do some research before buying and want a genuine product.

Here we go:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The things that are not as obvious

I actually have to give kudos points for the counterfeit guys to attempt to go all out. I have not seen an attempt to replicate a product this good since the replica rolex's and that big ordeal from china and their 1 billion dollars worth of "gold" which ended up being gold plated tungsten bars.

This is as good as the countereit Monster HDMI cables floating around. The moral of the story, buy from an HKS authorized dealer. I wanted to make a valuable contribution to this forum for all of the good information on here. I thought people should be made aware.

I actually have to give kudos points for the counterfeit guys to attempt to go all out. I have not seen an attempt to replicate a product this good since the replica rolex's and that big ordeal from china and their 1 billion dollars worth of "gold" which ended up being gold plated tungsten bars.

I have one of those fake rolexs. Really nice watch actually. On seeing diff is tge way the second hand moves

This is as good as the countereit Monster HDMI cables floating around. The moral of the story, buy from an HKS authorized dealer. I wanted to make a valuable contribution to this forum for all of the good information on here. I thought people should be made aware.

The only difference here is there's no difference in quality between Monster cables and cheap cables, or a coat hanger. ROFL

Nice writeup :thumb:

Well now I know mines a fake haha. Of coarse brand new 60 bucks shipped should have been a dead give away. Have had it for a year still works good though.

I bought one knowing it was fake for less than 50$, funny thing was the Fake hks box came folded and packed LOL, I have ran it for over a year no w/o issue tho, sounds real to.

The funny thing is that I have one on here for sale. Paid about $325.00 a few years ago for it. A guy inquire about it a few days ago. He ask me to send pictures so he can see it. I took a few with my phone and sent them to him. He specifically wanted to see the logo. Then he text me back and told me it's fake and sent me a link to a website. Being curious myself, I decided to check the real from the fake. All I can say is that this write-up on here was very helpful and informative. Glad to say though that my HKS SSQV is the REAL THING. Wonderful information :):thumb:

i cant belive there are that many diffrences. good write up! shouldnt it be against the law for that company to use the hks logo? i mean thats copywrite isnt it?

The funny thing is that I have one on here for sale. Paid about $325.00 a few years ago for it. A guy inquire about it a few days ago. He ask me to send pictures so he can see it. I took a few with my phone and sent them to him. He specifically wanted to see the logo. Then he text me back and told me it's fake and sent me a link to a website. Being curious myself, I decided to check the real from the fake. All I can say is that this write-up on here was very helpful and informative. Glad to say though that my HKS SSQV is the REAL THING. Wonderful information :):thumb:

Glad it has helped a few people out.

i cant belive there are that many diffrences. good write up! shouldnt it be against the law for that company to use the hks logo? i mean thats copywrite isnt it?

Those copyright protections are only good in a country that enforces them. There really is nothing that can be done except inform buyers. It is a good reason to buy from authorized dealers. This is just one of many popular items being faked.

Speaking of copyright... http://bbs.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/928072-spotting-a-fake-hks-ssqv-a-pictorial-guide.html wonder who really wrote this write up?

Regardless still good info.

If you read that post, you would have also noted that the "author" of your link also posted the information to share with others and does not claim to be the originator of the write-up. If you have a problem with it, talk to a moderator or PM me and not waste forum space.

"I came across some really good information that differentiates a genuine HKS SSQV from one counterfeit."
Apparentley not him.. :idontknow:

Did I actually claim to be the author and photographer of this? I do not believe that I said to have done so....

It is just shared information for those that could benefit from it. Thanks for your valuable input though.

Last edited:
Did I actually claim to be the author and photographer of this? I do not believe that I said to have done so....

It is just shared information for those that could benefit from it. Thanks for your valuable input though.
Not sure if you realize bro, but I was showing dude that you stated you CAME ACROSS IT not wrote it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back