The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Has anyone tried this intake manifold?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I do not see any flow numbers on this manifold.So I would stay away from it, and go with a proven intake manifold.

The stock intake manifold will support enough hp to leave that stock.If your building a 600hp car, then you shouldnt be looking on ebay for the manifold in the first place.;)

Honestly I was looking into it more for the look factor over all but I don't want to sacrifice performance. I'm also wanting to convert my last few vac lines to an fittings and with this I wouldn't have to weld or tap the stock manifold. But I see where your coming from.

For the price, I would toss one on the car for the hell of it. A lot of the proven manifolds out there are never bench flow. The construction is well done from the pics. Give it a try if you want to save a few bux. For best fitment and construction, a Jmf is my choice for a sheet metal intake manifold. You can pick a used jmf up for 250-300.

I've been looking for a week for a jmf used in that range and have yet to find one. I might pull the trigger on this one. Does anybody know of any kind of place that might be able to bench flow test it? If it flows decent and is built as well as it looks I think it's a hell of a deal.

I said screw it and pulled the trigger on it. Will post a review after I get it in.

Just an update intake will be here tomorrow and I will post pics and let you all know how the install goes. Hope it turns out all right, fingers crossed.

For the few that are interested I got the manifold in t okay and it looked pretty well built and I must say I'm pretty happy with it. Install went very smoothly just have to pick up a few things to button it up. Here are a few pics. Ignore the mess it was getting dark so I had to finish putting up my tools LOL.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Nice, I want one.

Another plus is I ordered it on Friday, they shipped it Monday, and I got it today so 5 days to get here is pretty quick to be international.

Im not sure if the stock evo III intake is like this or not, but the throttle body flange is angledso the throttle body sits different. I didn't have to modify y pr FMIC pipes or anything though.

I see in your profile a 7 bolt head. I assume this mani is for a 2g then right?

Can't multi quote on my phone. I can't take any pics for a few days thanks to the awesome weather LOL.

The ports looks small because they are 7bolt ports and not 6bolt.

The intake is actually for an Evo III but it has the same head flange as a 7bolt.

Do you notice any gains or loses yet? It looks pretty clean and the inside isn't all hacked up which is what you get with poor quality but it looks like you made out good so far.

Do you notice any gains or loses yet? It looks pretty clean and the inside isn't all hacked up which is what you get with poor quality but it looks like you made out good so far.

Honestly I haven't got to drive it yet. I'm waiting on some 6an line to replace the line from my filter to rail after that ill let you know.

From the looks of it I would say it don't look much different then other manifolds that cost 3 times more. It should work just fine. Sometimes its not about how much something costs or who makes it, if it works well then who cares who makes it, China, Taiwan or Japan.

From the looks of it I would say it don't look much different then other manifolds that cost 3 times more. It should work just fine. Sometimes its not about how much something costs or who makes it, if it works well then who cares who makes it, China, Taiwan or Japan.

I was impressed with it. It actually made in Malaysia.

I'm going to assume that like most SMIM the weakest part of this piece is the welds. This was not uncommon on old SMIMs

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/blackGSX2g/02-04-07_1004.jpg

If the welds do crack you can have them repaired and then add tabs between the two pieces. I assumed my welds sucked and added them on the plenum replacement I did on my van

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h309/tkelly27/2012-05-22205649.jpg

Similar idea to bracing a turbo manifold. Another option is to install bolt in pieces inside the pleunum that distribute the load to the lower plate, but that has the potential to mess up the flow.

I really like the stacks inside the plenum, looks like it should flow well for the price.

If welds are cracking they werent welded properly, either surface welds or contaminated. A good weld is actually stronger then the base metal.

How often do you hear about an ETS fmic cracking let alone on the welds. You dont.

Last edited:
I was impressed with it. It actually made in Malaysia.

Just got to the computer and was able to see the pictures you posted. Very nice engine set up by the way. To be honest the velocity stacks in intake manifold look better than I expected :thumb: I think the manifold would function a little better if the back plate was flush with the top of the velocity stacks so they didn’t stick in to the manifold but nevertheless it’s a nice piece and considering your mods it should work perfect for you.

One thing I noticed that the screw on top of your BOV is almost screwed all the way in. I had a BOV like that before and I had to turn that screw almost all the way in to hold the boost but what I didn’t realize was that when I did that the BOV would only open about 1/8 of an inch because the spring would coil bind. It’s probably not the best thing for that turbo not being able to release all the pressure fast enough when you let off the throttle after a hard pull. I replaced the stock spring from that BOV with a thicker spring but it had less coils. I had to cut it to the right height, I think it was one of the smaller springs out of some wastegate I had. It was able to hold over 30 psi and opened almost all the way before coil bind.

One other thing and this is just my personal opinion and some may argue but I never liked the idea of a wrapped exhaust manifold. Yes it’s nice that it keeps a lot of the heat out of the engine bay but you have to keep in mind where that heat goes if it doesn’t radiate out of the manifold in to open air. All that heat gets pushed though your turbo causing higher EGTs which essentially puts more stress on the exhaust side bearing of the turbo especially if you’re using a bolt one housing like BEP .55 Don’t misunderstand me, I’m not picking on your setup in any way, just throwing some ideas out there for you to think about.

Alright, a viable contender for SMIM. Keep us 7bolters posted bro. Cant wait to here how it feels and performs.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back