The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

good 300whp turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4G63luvr

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 7, 2003
WashingtonUS
I am just finishing a new engine for my 90 non turbo. I wondered which turbo would let me hit over 300 whp. the car is already converted to turbo and was much better that nt. I have forged internals, bored 20 over, head completely redone, the whole deal. I look at all these turbo's and they talk about cfm, but not horsepower, So for drag racing, which ones have been most successful and where is the best place to pick one up. thanks abunch
chris

yeah, i have han racecrafts super 16g, great turbo, i beleave it can handle around 400 hp max (correct me if im wrong). will the t28 reach 300 (think it does but can't remember)?

DO you plan on going to 300whp and stop there cause you might whant to think about either the Fp big 28 turbo or either the 16g...if you plan on going bigger then maybe the 50 trim

blaster1812 said:

If your only looking for 300 whp then a 50 trim would be overkill, as you could make 400 whp with that. If 300 is what your looking for get an EVOIII16g, this will meet your goal & make some more with proper tunning and also spools extremely quick. If your goal is to eventually make ~400 whp then look at a 20g, or 50 trim. But remember when running a larger turbo you will need more supporting mods & you will loose several hundred rpms in spool up, which will be even worse if you don't have all the proper mods.

i also wanna know about the big t28 how hard would u have to work to get it 300 or a little higher? since it is small and almost the same as stock, im assuming the spool time is quite close to stock

I have full supporting mods: injectors, forged pistons, eagle rods, mls head gasket, 272 hks cams, I was originally running a tdo5H on my naturally asparated motor, until the rebuild and I know that that turbo isn't going to produce the boost I need. How do you define a "big" or little 16g? I understood they were the same turbo different internals? I'm new to the turbo thing, I understand them and everything it's just what the damn numbers mean. I am thinking fifty trim, where would I find competitive prices on those? thanks a ton. You can pm me if anyone would prefer. Thanks again
chris

I would rather have 300+WHP on a 50 trim then a 16g. Why over-work the turbo and take away from it's reliability when you can spool a 50 trim much slow, push more air and have cooler intake charge temperature? A 50 trim fairly tuned at stock boost (10psi) will get you to 300WHP no problems and you won't have too worry about overworking a 16G like I do.

Not to mention you'll have room for more boost when you are sick of a measly 300WHP. Hehe. ROFL

that's true, I know I will want more, where would I look for a fifty trim, I hear and read alot of stories about these having oil leaks before 10k miles. Is there another turbo that would produce the same results and maybe be a little more reliable. Also what kind of head gasket should I look into, I canceled my order of the mls just now because I didn't know enough about it yet, I was thinking copper but had bad luck on that with my last motor, Thanks.
chris

16g or larger. Reorder the MLS head gasket. It is a very good investment. Even a stock paper gasket can take some serious abuse. T04B v-trim and larger will not have to work as hard and make tuning easier. 16g's will spool instantly.

It is just a matter of how much head room you want.

Good luck and enjoy your new found wheel spin.

Steve

Stapl3 said:
Only one person has had 300whp with a 14b.

50 trim? What the hell.

As said above, any flavour 16g.

I easily had over 300 whp with my 14b...

so make it 2 then

I say use the 14b till you max it out... high 11's low 12's, then if you want more get a evo3 turbo

TimG said:
I would rather have 300+WHP on a 50 trim then a 16g. Why over-work the turbo and take away from it's reliability when you can spool a 50 trim much slow, push more air and have cooler intake charge temperature? A 50 trim fairly tuned at stock boost (10psi) will get you to 300WHP no problems and you won't have too worry about overworking a 16G like I do.

Not to mention you'll have room for more boost when you are sick of a measly 300WHP. Hehe. ROFL

First off a 50trim at 10psi WILL not make 300whp, sorry i have seen several 50trims dyno and 10psi wont do it man. And i have well over 300awhp on a small 16g and it was reather easy.

And the people in this thread how many of you have made over 300whp?

If you are looking for JUST 300-350whp pick up an evo 16g, If you think later on you might want more power pick up somthing larger. Find a turbo you think might want and come to dsm sites and search for it and see what people think of it. But a 50trim or a 20g are a pretty good choice if you are looking for above 350whp.

one of our customers cars did 325awhp on 18psi pump on a full garret 50 trim t3 and did 402awhp on 25psi on turbo blue on a bone stock 130k 7 bolt with only a set of cams and supporting mods fuel, intercooler, ect ect why work the hell out of the 16g to get over 300whp, plus with all the engine upgrades why not use them 300whp gets boring after a while and so on.

I made 306 hp/330 tq on my 14b, but the easiest way would to just pick up a 16g, you can get them fairly cheap now.

Looks like there is a lot of bouncing back and forth between 16g and 50trim.
It always goes back to "what ever floats your boat."

16g will get you to 300whp and you won't be over working the turbo.
50trim will for surely get you to your 300whp goal and then some, but not necessary.

:thumb: :) :thumb: :)

ported 14b on 110 octane @ 20 psi will get you 300 to the wheels with exhaust and intake. why spend money when you can do it for free?

Assuming we're talking about the EVO 16G, think about what an EVO III makes stock. They're "rated" at 276hp, realistically they put out around 320hp stock, which is around 250whp. This is on stock cams, relatively small exhaust, low boost no porting,.... Now take that EVO, throw on an MBC, full 3", cams, and you've got an easy 300+whp on pump gas.

Having owned a B16G and a 50 trim, I can tell you that I'd much rather drive the 16g on the street. It spools much faster (which means much better recovery between shifts) and can easily meet your goals. I'm not one to bi*** about spool time - as long as it's necessary to reach your goals. Why use something that's such overkill?

Steve is right on. You guys should not be throwing personal preference in your advice to the thread starter--he wants a 300whp turbo, which everyone knows is most accurately a 16g of some sort. Sure, you can run 6 psi on a 3065 or whatever and still make 300 hp :rolleyes:...but that's not the point.

I would go with an Evo16g if I wanted 300whp--you don't need cams for 300whp on an Evo16g, and you still have 50+hp of room to build above what your current goal is if you so choose.

What is the spool up time difference (i.e., what rpm to full boost) between the evoIII 16g and the 50 trim turbos? I've read that the 50trim gets full boost at 19psi around 3,600rpm.

3600 seems about right ... my 56 trim hits 23 psi at 4300. Why put a 16g on that car??? People saying that turbo is overkill for his goals need to realize his whole setup is overkill for his goals. He says he has forged internals, so someone please explain to me why the hell anyone would put a 16g on a forged motor? Get at least a 50 trim or run a stock block.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back