The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Gauge pod options for 1g?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwb

Proven Member
Sep 9, 2021
Broomfield, Colorado
I'm looking for some gauge pod recommendations for a 1g. I'm currently running a single A-pillar gauge pod for my boost gauge but I've recently purchased a wideband kit and I'm looking for options to mount the gauge. I may want to add more gauges in the future, i.e. oil pressure, fuel pressure, etc., but for now, only the two gauges to mount.

I've considered a 2 or 3-pod A-pillar. I'm shying away for a couple reasons. It's a daily driver so I'm not wanting to obstruct the view. The question is, how much view does it obstruct? I also don't want to advertise my stuff to keep it on the DL/sleeper.

I have a single DIN stereo receiver, so I have an open DIN I'm experimenting with. I bought a glowshift 1-DIN 3-gauge pod but my gauge fitment is poor at best just testing fitment on my work bench. I haven't even seen if it will fit in the DIN but I'm not too optimistic. I'm considering a custom single DIN pod, but still not sure how well the gauge will fit, or if the location will be too low to monitor a WB. Has anyone mounted any of their gauges in one of the two DIN locations? If so, how does it look and function? Pics?

I've seen 2g pods on the steering column which seem pretty slick, but I cannot locate one for a 1g. If I could find a 1g option, I think it would be the best of both worlds. Short of custom work, are there any options here for a 1g?

What else am I missing? I still have all my HVAC controls and not really interested in cutting up the dash or center console.

Way back in the day I bought a triple gauge pod from Mach V that replaces the center vents above the HVAC controls. Nice rounded design that angled the gauges toward the driver. Much cleaner and more subtle option that pillar mounted gauges in my opinion. Mach V doesn’t sell that one any more. I’ve seen a few flat metal ones that don’t look as nice. Maybe someone else is making something similar, or someone can 3D print them? I still have mine and will be putting it in my current project. If anyone who has the facilities wants to 3D print some I’d be happy to provide photos and measurements.

You can buy this Cluster gauge pod from Ortizcustompods, keep in mind that some warning lights/low revs will be covered by the gauges and same for the speedometer.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The best/coolest place IMO to put gauges in a 1G is in the AC knobs:

This is the glowshift 3 pod on my 1G. It doesn’t actually interfere with vision that much at all, and I like how it looks. I have the camera in a weird spot so it looks more obstructive than it is.

In the radio din is definitely much more sleeper/DL though.

Way back in the day I bought a triple gauge pod from Mach V that replaces the center vents above the HVAC controls. Nice rounded design that angled the gauges toward the driver. Much cleaner and more subtle option that pillar mounted gauges in my opinion. Mach V doesn’t sell that one any more. I’ve seen a few flat metal ones that don’t look as nice. Maybe someone else is making something similar, or someone can 3D print them? I still have mine and will be putting it in my current project. If anyone who has the facilities wants to 3D print some I’d be happy to provide photos and measurements.
I've seen the vent pods, but since it's a daily driver, I prefer to keep my vents.

You can buy this Cluster gauge pod from Ortizcustompods, keep in mind that some warning lights/low revs will be covered by the gauges and same for the speedometer.

The best/coolest place IMO to put gauges in a 1G is in the AC knobs:
I'll have to go check out those from Ortizcustompods, because that's similar to what I had in mind.
I must admit, I really like the looks of the gauges in place of the HVAC knobs, but I don't like to looks of the effort involved. I'd then have to reloate the knobs to the radio DIN.

This is the glowshift 3 pod on my 1G. It doesn’t actually interfere with vision that much at all, and I like how it looks. I have the camera in a weird spot so it looks more obstructive than it is.

In the radio din is definitely much more sleeper/DL though.

Thanks for the visual, I like how all the AEM gauges look together and I may just have to change out my old autometer boost gauge for an AEM, to match my new WB gauge.

Here's the DIN mount I was talking about. Only able to fit a single AEM gauge in this thing. Still not sure how well it will fit in the DIN. Still open for ideas here, if anyone has successfully installed their gauges in a single DIN.

I ended up with a Glow Shift dual A-pillar gauge pod. In an attempt to preserve my OEM A-pillar trim, I used double sided 3M tape. That worked great with a single gauge pod for more than a decade. So I did the same for my dual pod, but it never really "stuck" right. Now that temperatures are getting warmer, I'm finding it hanging by the wires.
Short of drilling into my A-pillar trim and using the included fasteners, does anyone have any idea to keep this thing attached? I'll give the 3M tape another try after cleaning everything thoroughly, but I'm skeptical it will hold.

I always had boost and the wideband in the vent pod and oil pressure and water temp in the din below the radio in a flat piece I laser cut and mounted in there (could cut a similar piece by hand it’s basic I just had a CNC laser at my disposal). The vent pod I have was some eBay deal but has slots cut in it so heat can still blow through, but this never bothered me either way as 98% of the time I use the heat I have it set on floor or defrost. If anyone would like a picture for reference I’ll take one when it’s light out.

Another option in your case is to pick up an extra piece of A pillar trim from one of the partout guys, then you can ram screws into one you care less about and have a piece with no holes in case you ever decide to change it up.

Last edited:
I ended up with a Glow Shift dual A-pillar gauge pod. In an attempt to preserve my OEM A-pillar trim, I used double sided 3M tape. That worked great with a single gauge pod for more than a decade. So I did the same for my dual pod, but it never really "stuck" right. Now that temperatures are getting warmer, I'm finding it hanging by the wires.
Short of drilling into my A-pillar trim and using the included fasteners, does anyone have any idea to keep this thing attached? I'll give the 3M tape another try after cleaning everything thoroughly, but I'm skeptical it will hold.

So another stab at cleaning and reapplying double sided tape did nothing. Here's what I made, using a piece of an old windshield wiper refill.

And a little black paint:

I've had a few different setups over the years. This is the current setup but I'm about to change it as I am going to add the heater system back into the car and reinstall the HVAC dials into the OEM locations. The new setup is going to use a dual carbon fiber center vent from eBay seller NiKoCarbonWorks. What I really like about this one is that it bolts in vs having to glue it in like some I have used in the past. With the new setup am planning on only running AEM wideband and boost gauges and a small voltmeter in the factory AC switch location.
resized_20240323_140833-jpeg.726099

I had the upper vent method myself for a while but I made my own plate out of 1/8" Lexan and painted the screws black. Cheap and saved me from faux carbon fiber.
Perhaps I should have cut vent holes in the middle, but I didn't have A/C and didn't drive in the winter, so an open window moved more air anyway. Just blocked the duct by stuffing a clean rag in it. I'd say it was a reversible mod but the duct had to be cut back quite a bit to fit the gauges. Probably should have removed the section instead but I was young, impetuous, and not like much else could be reversed to make it a regular passenger car anyway LOL

That clip is a great idea but I always found those A pillar gauge pods blocked my view so I went the vent route.
I had a carbon fiber test panel from the F-117 Nighthawk my brother-in-law had given me and I cut out a bezel from it. There is a possibility that is the most expensive part on the car, thankfully I didn't pay for it.

I was going to drill some holes to let the vent still function but never got around to it.

1646adash-jpg.168924

Mine are in both places. I still have the use of the upper vent, but it's not directional now. I wrapped the vent plate with CF wrap since it was silver/aluminum and stuck out like a sore thumb. No obstruction with the 3 pod pillar mount for me but I'm short, only 5'8".

ah prosport evo gauges. aka the gauge you can't read in sunlight.
I know, I have two.
I'm thinking of breaking them open and reducing the LED resistances just to get some more brightness from them. I have short and long hoods going on as well but just for good measure..

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back