The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

From a 6 to a 10 1999 gs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dropped99gs

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 10, 2011
dallas, Texas
I've done a lot of random yet tedious work and improvements to my car sine I purchased her almost a year ago. I do not really have anyone who appreciates the effort someone puts into their car like my fellow dsm'ers :hellyeah:.

From here on out I will be documenting the progress of my car with simple write ups and photos.

The pic with the snow is when I saw her for the first time.

My first thoughts were, WTF is that wing sticking out???? :barf:
Then my line of sight changed and I had a better look. To my surprise I actually liked the look and knew there had to be more. Also the for sale sign stuck out as well.

At the time I was without a ride and on the lookout for a good deal. Having to share a ride with the g/f sucks.

A few days later the snow melted and I stopped by to take a better look. Wrote the phone number and vin down. Asking price was $2,000.

I call and leave a message. The next day I get a phone call from the owner. He works at the complex but is actually on vacation and will not be back for a few more days.

He gets into town and hits me up. The next day he brings the car down so I can look at it.

Quick history I gathered off hand. He was the second owner, car had 94k. He bought it with 92k.
I was able to verify this with receipt records from original owner w/ the owners manual, window sticker and pouch.
I had already researched the different trim levels and from the vin I knew it was a 1999 gs.
Once seeing the options like leather, sunroof, silver faced gauges and OZ wheels I knew it was the anniversary edition.

The owner said he had bought the car for his son, but his son did not like driving a 5 speed. :notgood:
This right away made me weary of the clutch and other components.
Also, the car had only been driving 2,000 miles over a 2 year period and had sat for the last year where I found it.

I had him start it as I listened intently for some out of place sound and heard nothing.

We get in and get out on the road. I let her have it a little and all runs well. We return.

We discuss the price and I talk him down to $1500.
FYI, a running car w/ a/c is worth $1,000 in Texas during the summer even if it is falling apart.
I tell the guy it's going to be a week or so before my income tax comes in and he says that is cool. He had been trying to sale the car for over a year.

Finally my income taxes hit the bank and we go pull the money out. We handle the paper work and BAM she's mine.

Immediately I'm off to have the oil changed and a closer look taken by a shop.
I know I should have done this before but yea, I let myself get too excited and yea.......

Everything checks out except there is a slight leak along the back side of the valve cover gasket.

With the car on a life I began to examine the undercarriage. First I noticed some crappy welding to the muffler. Another concern that caught my eye was the dent in the oil pan.

After that it was on to auto parts stores for a spectre air filter, new spark plugs, new fuel filter, fuel system cleaner, oil pan and gasket, valve cover gasket and sealant.

The next day I was at an exhaust shop to see about have the exhaust fixed. I decided to go ahead and have them fab a 2 1/2" cat back to go with the tsudo muffler that came with the car.

Oh yea, quick list of what came with the car already -

Accel spark plugs wires
Tsudo fireball muffler
Cold air intake
Tein springs
Aftermarket Spoiler
B&M edge short shift
KYB struts

And a quick list of immediate improvements

Fuel Filter
Oil Pan
Spark plugs
Ignition coil
Air filter
Valve cover gasket
2 1/2" cat back
Synthetic oil
fuel system treatment
8000k hid w/ ballasts.

New stereo deck, tweeter, door and rear speakers, 2 10" typer r 10's, ported box, 800watt rockford amp.

New Hankook tires

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/420a-bolt-tech/401592-timing-belt-went-out-what-shop-charging-me-fair.html?highlight=dropped99gs
Not long after I felt confident in my car, that happened.

Luckily my engine survived and I was able to move forward.

Since this time I have also dedicated numerous hours to clay kit, rubbing compound, polishing compound, and waxes to bring back the paint and shine. There are 4 body blemishes. 2 door dings I am pretty sure can be fixed at a PDR shop. 1 is on the drivers door, the other is passenger quarter panel. The front bumper was damaged by a shop pulling too far on a curb and ripping the lower drivers side a little bit. And the rear bumper was damaged before me.... I can get those cheap, and may even go with a subtle aftermarket solution for them.

While I am on the subject of the body and appearance I am undecided about the wing. I like it but it draws attention and makes cops look twice. It is great quality and is def. made for an eclipse. I ran into a R32 rhd and he had the exact same spoiler, it looked good on his ride as well.

I don't want to get too far away from a factory outside appearance. I love the factory look and just hope to find a kit that hits what I think are the accent points.

Also debating on an oem style carbon fiber hood. The car will nee to be repainted IMO before too long, and no, I WILL NOT have body pieces put on until they are painted.

I have a color in mind I would like to have. We will see.

Not so long ago I hit a pick and pull and found some carbon fiber tail lights among some other small goodies for here and there.

Will most likely get bigger wheels, prob 18"s.

My end goal with this car is a super clean reliable DD. Once I'm able to get a place with a garage then I'm hoping to save a sypder and build a GSX Sypder.
Don't hate, BUT, I'm also considering a late 90's celica to swap a 3sgte. I had a 1994 celica a while back and it handles very similar to an eclipse. It is also possible to have an AWD Convertible 1999 Celica.

Hoping to accomplish that between this summer and years end. Never know what can put a dent in savings right???

I'm hoping to have my gs where I want it before the summer. The biggest dent in the pocket book would be a paint job obviously.

I have $5k coming back from school difference check in a few weeks, but I'm only allotting myself like $500 to spend at first.

Number 1 is going to be header and rest of exhaust to complete 2 1/2". Switching to Amsoil. 2 way remote start alarm, and LED bulbs throughout the interior, LED tail light bulbs, alignment, and I'm pretty sure that will consume just about all of it.

I have other priorities that require attention and have to put some away and see where I stand later.

Attachments

• first look.jpg
    first look.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMAG0092.jpg
    IMAG0092.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
So the other day while detailing the engine bay I removed the head shield to better clean the block and discovered a hairline crack in the manifold. So I picked up an aftermarket 4-1 off craigslist yesterday and will be picking up a new manifold gasket and a couple of bolts in case a few break. Will be using some kind of blaster to penetrate the rust and seizure.

Also today I picked up Amsoil 5w30 signature series, and Amsoil Oil Filter. Going back tomorrow to pick up Amsoil Engine flush as well.

I have a shop back home with welders, drill press, shop compressor, just not lift. Plenty of jack stands though.
It's a nice 1 1/2 hour cruise each way and weather is supposed to be perfect.
Also I will be picking up non foulers to space my rear O2 sensor and get my CEL off as well.

I now it's not going to be some crazy power gain but I know it will be enough to notice with the ass dyno. :ninja:

Sometime in the next few weeks I will get a nice difference check from school. From that I'm hoping I can put $500 into popping a few of the dings and getting brakes. Also get the rear window re tinted, and get better tint up front as well.

In April I'm planning on removing the spoiler. Having the holes filled, and get her repainted. I have a few colors in mind, but I also will need to either have the front bumper fixed/replaced along with the rear.

In the summer I may get some wheels but really I'm hoping to be satisfied once I make it to paint. After that once I get a place with a garage I plan on finding a spyder and an awd conversion to sink my teeth into.

Until then I want my dd to be clean and reliable.

Will post some pics of work later today. About to go back to sleep

So today I made the trip to the family farm and installed everything I was planning. The only thing I opted out on was painting the header. Decided I will do it a later day due to amount of time it takes to cure and I had to make the drive back.

Installed new/used header I picked up on craigslist. Turns out the guy is on here also. Forgot his username but thanks Stephan.
Picked up a new felpro manifold gasket.
Also some brake fluid due to it being a tad low and brake light staying on.

So I make it to the shop and park the car with the hood up to let her cool down after the 1 1/2 hour drive.
Go inside and hit up MW3 and some matches later I decide it's time and head outside.

First I had to find an ideal spot to raise the car and have level ground for the stands.

Side Note: A while back I edged off the shoulder of a country highway and when I BARELY go off the edge with the right side. It bottoms out, punctures oil pan right next to drain bolt with a couple pin sized holes and slashes the inside of the front tire open.
I recover and pull off the road.
Notice the tire, look and and see the oil. I start assuming it's BAD and start thinking about towing it.
Get my step mom to bring another jack, so I can bet under the car better and deduce the damage.
Realize it is just pin sized holes in the oil pan and JB WELD would fix it in the end.
But to get the car home I noticed when it was running that the oil really didn't leak out but a few drips and when rpms increased it was non existent really. So I put some a couple of quarts of cheap synthetic and limped her home on a spare.
Emptied a bag of oil absorber under the car and went to be.
Next day I did an oil change, and used JB WELD to patch the little holes just under the drain bolt know I would have to deal with it later and possible repeat with every oil change.

Which brings me back to today. I put a 19mm socket on and it fit over where the JB WELD had gotten on the bolt as well. Cranked it and "Nice!" it broke free clean and left the rest of the JB WELD in place doing it's thing.

Well I get the stock manifold and down/flex pipe off. On the used piece I bought I noticed the flex pipe seemed off and after install I found out I was right and it was busted inside. :( sounds blah when getting on the throttle.
Aside from that I noticed a slightly dramatic increase in the way my engine operates. Much more responsive, and definitely more pep in her step.
Picking up a new flex pipe and having it put on here in Dallas. I know a shop that will do it reasonably cheap and does a really nice job.

Would have cut the one from the factory pipe and installed it instead but decided I did not want to remove everything there when a shop and put it on a lift and be done in a few minutes.

Was not able to take pics while working, I was in the zone and didn't want to grab my phone with shape of my hands.

Will post pics tomorrow of almost finished results.

I say almost finished because I plan to paint the header or polish and I'm pretty sure I say high temp clear coat at auto zone. I'm thinking sand and polish the hell out of it and apply a few coats of the high temp clear coat and let that be that.

From now on it is all about the handling and looks.

I'm honestly satisfied with where it is at performance and reliability wise for a DD.
Just need some fresh paint and a few body corrections outside.
Soon I plan to do a carpet dye, and finish transforming the interior from black/ Grey to black/white.
Also will be converting to LED interior and some exterior lights.
Debating on HID kit for the brights after driving back home tonight and using my brights on the back highways.
Another possible addition will be another amp for the subs, move current amp to Excelon components, appropriate wiring and capacitor to sustain voltage.

My end goal is to get in my car one morning and know that there is not one bolt left unturned or examined.

Pics tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMAG0158.jpg
    IMAG0158.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Well I had to appear for some old tickets today. :barf: All is well now though. Anyways before I went to appear at 1 I had to replace the flex pipe and have the exhaust double checked.
I go to auto zone and pick up the appropriate flex pipe 1 3/4" i.d. BTW. My aftermarket header tubing is same diameter as stock.

SIDE NOTE ( Pretty sure I will increase the header to cat section w/ 2 1/2" to match the single piece cat back I had made. Also will be taking the gutted cat out and replacing with 2 1/2" in and 2 1/2" out test pipe. End result, 2 1/2" from header back to muffler, basically straight pipe. However, I do have some concerns with how the exhaust will sound with straight pipe to muffler and no resonator to eliminate raspiness.

Which brings me to end result of having flex pipe replaced. Once completed and car back off of the lift I hit the road to gather my documents for court. I.E. old insurance and stuff.
Anyways, I get on the highway and open her up some and I hear it OMGh damn: :banghead: :notgood:.
That raspy sound you hear from a Honda with a fart can only.
Now it is not that extreme but it was slightly there around 3500 -4000 rpm in first and second.
My prediction is that my current muffler (Tsudo Fireball - came w/ car) is not up to snuff for my current exhaust set-up. It sounded great before I installed the header and still does. However, I believe it was not designed for the amount of flow it is now receiving. It also has a slight rasp/pffbbbbff at idle.
Remember earlier I mentioned having some extra money I was going to a lot myself to spend on my baby??? Well let's say that is being increased enough to get a NICE high flow muffler that will also work the way I would like when I enlarge the tubing from the muffler to cat.

Aside from that, she is running fantastic. And so far I've seen and estimated 5~7 mpg average increase not having my cel on, or the cracked exhaust manifold.
I keep forgetting to take some pics until I get back upstairs. I will post some soon, after I clean up the bay, got pretty dirty out on the farm and could use a little bath.

If anyone reads this that has any recommendations or input on exhaust remedies please divulge.

:dsm:

Well today I had an appointment at the VA hospital and when I turned from the red light and began my search for a parking spot I look down and see my temp gauge going up???
I finally park and quickly release the hood and get out. Immediately I see coolant across the hood and on the bumper. So I pop the hood to see what's up.
The fluid came from a small hole in the hose where it meets the thermostat housing. Luckily it was just inside the clamp. I pull the tool kit out and loosen clamp, push hose up and tighten back down. Leak solved till I can replace the hose.
I had to remove the hose and thermostat housing to remove/install header. Im thinking that hole could have been there for a while and just had never been exposed. I thought I smelled coolent occasionally the past few days, and assumed it was another car on the road considering I had just put mine back togething just the other day
Well I finish my appointments and head home. Assuming problem solved..... NOPE.
Get at the first red light and car starts warming up again. I get moving and get normal temp. So I push forward telling myself it is the thermostat. Traffic hits me around downtown and the temp gauge goes pretty far up. Im praying I can find a way through or around and get some air passing through.

Finally get around traffice through some back ways and get on the highway again. Make it to autozone and pick up another thermostat. Install that and start her up. Temp goes to normal for a bit but goes back up. I think about it for a bit and I know it's not my water pump, it's basically new. Not the thermostat. My first assumption then is I may be low on coolent. So I go in and pick up some 50/50 universal auto zone brand to top it off.
Do that and start her once again. Temp goes to normal and I sat at idle for a good 5 minutes with no fluctuation from the temp gauge.

This is not the first hose I've had a leak. A line from the back of the block split one day, I trimmed and reclamped it. So after today I will be replacing a lot of hoses and lines. Also I'm pretty sure my brakes are getting close to replacement territory as well. Looks that that $500 Is already spent LOL.

I only have one thing to say

P0455

Definition - evapy system large leak detected

*faulty fuel cap
or
*leaking vent or purge solenoid
or
*Evap hose faulty
or
*Leak on fuel tank

and I have inspection in a few months and I want to be able to roll in and out.

Did some research and checked my gas cap, it is not OEM. So I went to the dealership and ordered new replacement. I will be picking it up and installing tomorrow. Reset the computer and clear the codes and see what happens. If the problem persist then I will perform an EVAP system leak test and see what needs to be replaced. Hopefully I don't have to drop the tank. :cross fingers:

Aside from that I am pleased with the AmsOil as I'm sure everyone is who makes the switch.

Well today I had to replace the upper coolent hose due to failure on my way to school. Also the gas gap did not solve my evap leak. I have inspection in a few months and that must be addressed before then. I'm assuming its a cracked line or the valve on top of the tank. Regardless of which it is, finding the leak is going to be a little more than I think is fair at Satan. They want $107 to check for evap leak?
I'm thinking rather than have that done, I might as well just replace all of the lines and valves. Might go to a pick and pull and see if I can scrounge out something.
Here lately though I've been neglecting my baby due to weather and being consumed in school for midterms.

List of to-do's in the next week -

1. Wash and wax, detail interior and engine bay.
2. Price check possible evap components that could leak and the end cost of replacing everything.
3. Have a muffler shop quote me on increasing exhaust tubing from header to cat.
4. Try to locate a larger muffler to have installed with 3.
5. Price check gsx brake upgrade parts and where I can do the install.
6. Purchase new coolent hoses for lower and rear of block.
7. Repeat step 1.

Due to recent time constraints with my gradfather having multiple surgeries this past mont, an uncle put on life support yesterday and not expected to pull through I have not been able to get to a shop. Instead I have ordered a few online goodies.

Such as 74-wwhp3 led bulbs, 10 to be exact from superbrightleds.com

Also purchased front and rear upper sway bars, and rear lower off of ebay ~$80 with 2 day shipping for all 3 pieces. :).

I'm expecting both packages either tomorrow or the day after.

I'm also parting ways with my g/f, so I will be moving in a few weeks. There goes about $1000 I wanted to slowly put into my car.

Oh well, slow and steady can win a race right??

Aside from ordered parts, nothimg much but waxing and detailing coming up.

More to come with pics.

$1500 for an anniversary edition, now that's a steal! I would just make sure and get all the maintenance done, forget the body kit, go wingless, and drift it for awhile like that before getting crazy with it.

Make sure everything is done like coolant flush, upper and lower rad hoses, VC, headgasket (they tend to go out around 100,000), bulbs, fuses, tranny fluid, PS fluid, all filters, serpentine belt, etc.

How good condition is your leather? The 99 leather usually holds up well.

$1500 for an anniversary edition, now that's a steal! I would just make sure and get all the maintenance done, forget the body kit, go wingless, and drift it for awhile like that before getting crazy with it.

Make sure everything is done like coolant flush, upper and lower rad hoses, VC, headgasket (they tend to go out around 100,000), bulbs, fuses, tranny fluid, PS fluid, all filters, serpentine belt, etc.

How good condition is your leather? The 99 leather usually holds up well.

I thought it was a great deal as well. I have done basically a complete overhaul mechanically. A few things that need to be addressed would be lower coolent hose and the circulation ones on the back of the block. The transmission could use a flush and refill. But right now I'm batteling an EVAP problem. I'm picking up the valve on top of the tank from Satan tomorrow for $168.00 :dsm: :tease: ME
Hopefully that is the culprit. If not then I will be replacing the rest of the evap system that could have developed a leak. Satan wants $105 to run an evap system check. I figured for under $200 I could replace everything that could leak. Guess I was wrong LOL. But I will be replacing whatever it takes for the Evap system so I can pass inspection in April.
I'm also moving into a different place next week and I will be getting new furniture and what not. So the extra funds will be depleated for a while.

The past few days I have been working on my cluster lights doing the led conversion. I ended up pulling the faces off and wet sanding. It's actually not so bad to do. The only complication is getting the needles back on properly. I'm pretty sure my gas gause is off, when my light comes on I will be able to reset it to where it goes. I am please with the result. However I did notice with the clear plastic that supports the faces has a shroud molded to, what it appears to me, reflect and direct the light in the cluster. I'm debating on trimming/sanding that part away because during twilight and overcast days it is not evenly distributed. I also was no happy with the warm white results so I ordered cool white hoping they will be close to the same as my hid head lights. They should be here Tuesday. Also my ebay fron and rear upper strut bars and lower rear are waiting to be picked up monday morning.

So on Tuesday I plan on renting a lift and installing the ebay strut bar kit and installing the cool white led's in place of the warm white. I will also be flushing the transmission and replacing the fluid while I have her up in the air. Another itme being replaced will the the evap valve on top of the tank. Hoping that resolves the cel. If I was not moving I would be doing a front gsx brake upgrade.

Rally, you bring up a good point about the headgasket. That is something else I would like to address. But since that requires pulling the timing belt and what not I would like to have a full day dedicated to this. So hopefully everything stays together until the end April. That is when I will have the extra funds for the brakes and other subtle upgrades. Also as for removing the wing I want to have the holes filled and the hatch painted repainted so it would appear there was never a wing there to begin with. The leather seats are holding up well aside from 2 of the seams located on the bottom half of the drivers seat busted. Quote to replace the bottom with vinyl is $120, leather $180. I'm thinking I will just save up and replace both with an aftermaket set. Hoping to find a good used set off of craigslist. I also would take a kick in the nuts for a set of Axxis "staggered" offset wheels. Not to make it appear as a rwd, but I prefer that stance and to me it looks more like a track car.

After all of the above is completed then I plan to move onto the body and get the 2 dings popped, bumpers replaced, fresh quality paint job and then she will be complete. Overall I plan on having this car for a few more years and all I want is a reliable, "clean" daily. By this years end I hope to find a spyder to start working on. Would like to completely tear down, convert to awd and build her up.

First pic is the difference between sanded area and non sanded area. The last pic is leds installed but faces not sanded. You can see in that picture the difference between the gauges and hvac controls lighting. The second picture is where they are at now. Nice clear white light, but I went ahead and ordered the cool white instead of the current warm white. Once the new bulbs come in I will update with more pics. Also Tuesday is going to be a fun car day. I will be installing the strut bars, flushing the tranny, replacing evap valve on gas tank. Also I noticed the weld where the header meets the downpipe has a leak from some crappy welding from the person I bought it from. I thought I sall a small hole in the weld and it has increased in size. I plan to either have it rewelded or replace the down pipe with 2 1/2" and remedy it that way as well. Then after all that is complete I will most likely follow up with a full hand wash and wax. A nice deep cleaning of the interior and then it's time to pack for my move.

After that future improvements/mods are gsx brakes up front, new lower front control arms, repaint interior pieces back to black. Might, if opportunity presents itself, take the carpet out, power was and dye black. Order hvac control cover in silver.

Oh yea, just remembered. My sunroof cover, the fabric came off. Not sure which route to go as far as covering that back up. Either way I will probably go black and see about having the roof redone black as well.

Other than that it will be till the end of April before I will be able to do anything significant.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• IMAG0182.jpg
    IMAG0182.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 764
  • IMAG0184.jpg
    IMAG0184.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 784
  • IMAG0183.jpg
    IMAG0183.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
I'd hate to have to revive this, but have you tried anything else to resolve the EVAP code? I've been dealing with the same CEL code and have replaced the filler neck and gas cap, and its still on.

wow, it has been a long time since I have posted here. Well I totaled my car back in Feb., walked away somehow after flipped 7-8 times. I wasn't doing anything stupid, or driving fast.

If you haven't resolved your evap code problem, my end culprit was the evap vent on the top of the tank had a hairline crank, and the hose coming off of it was pretty dry rotted.

So sorry for the major delay as I do not have a DSM anymore, :ohdamn: :notgood: good luck.

Attachments

• 31440_706520361335_1602593447_n.jpg
    31440_706520361335_1602593447_n.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 200
Oh dang thats crazy after reading all that and get to the end its pretty sad about the car but as long as your alright and walked away from a crash like that your lucky!!! Anyways time to get a turbo'd Dsm and move on...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back