The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Firing Order [Merged 5-7]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STARION

20+ Year Contributor
May 30, 2002
Nova, D.C.
forgot firing order. 1990 4G63T.
call the cylander farthest on the passenger side #1. and call the ignition tower farthest from the firewall #1.

thanks

Well 4123 is the stock order on the coil pack.you can switch 1,4 and 2,3 with no problem,since they fire at the same time.1234 will not work right though,since 2 and 1 dont share a coil.

hey guys iam sorry :coy: for the trouble i t was my cam sensor that was messed up i had checked it out before and it was giving me false readings so i end it up in buying a new one so that was the big mystery sorry yo for the inconvience:cry:

i put a 1g head in a 2g and i hav the 1g cas hooked up but i forgot wut the new firing order i was thinking u switch 1 with 2 and 3 with 4 but im not sure thanks

The cylinder firing order is 1, 3, 4, 2.

The order of cylinders on the motor is, from driver's side to passenger's side: 1, 2, 3, 4.

The order of the spark plug wires on the coil is, from top to bottom: 3, 2, 1, 4.

This is assuming a 1g, 2.0 engine.

Hey, so I changed my spark wires and when I was changing the wires I like a newbie didn't check were I was pulling the end from. So when I turned the car on it idled real bad and turned off. The car didnt do this till right know that I changed the wires. so if some one knows were they go can they please tell me... thanks.

Hey, starting at the timing belt and going from right to left its 1 - 2 - 3 - 4. then on the coil pack from front of car towards back its 4 - 1 - 2 - 3. So jus hook wires up accordingly. Jus do a quick search next time, its quicker then posting about it since its bin answered many times before.

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I'd like to clear something out

I have a 96 talon TSi AWD with a 99 ecu would mine still be 4123

Please make it stop.

The firing order is just that, the order in which the cylinders fire. On both generation it's 1 - 3 - 4 - 2.
Cylinder 1 is the one next to the timing belt.

The order of the plug wires on the coil packs is normally 4 - 1 - 2 - 3 left to right when you are looking into the coil towers list shown in the diagram above but if you have 2G DSMlink on anything other than a 95/96 car you need to move the wires to 3 - 2 - 4 - 1. swapplugwires [ECMTuning - wiki]

Keep in mind that because we run a wasted spark, the wires on a coil both fire at the same time so swapping 4 and 1 or 2 and 3 will have no functional difference.

How exactly does the 4G63 fire if 1/4 and 2/3 are in the same position at all times?

If the firing order is 3214... How can 3 and 2 fire, then 1 and 4 fire? 1 and 4 are at TDC together... Maybe I'm just not understanding this...

No, not exactly. I read that before posting. I'm just not understanding how 1 and 4 can fire at the same time, or if not at the same time, in order because they are both up at the same time.

4123 <-coil

Thats how its set up, cylinders 1 and 4 are firing at the same time, and cylinders 2 and 3 fire at the same time. The coil sends the spark to cylinders 1 and 4 at the same time and to cylinders 2 and 3 at the same time. If you look at the coil on these cars its actually 2 small ones beside each other i think, 1 and 4 are one and 2 and 3 are the other. Thats how they fire at the same time I believe. Does that make any sense to you and help out at all?

No because I already determined they fire 1 and 4, then 2 and 3 at the same time. How does the engine run if it fires 2 cylinders, then 2 cylinders at a time. It would be like running a big 2 cylinder engine but with 4 cylinders... That is what isnt making sense.

Its called wasted spark. It can work like that because of the design of a four stroke engine. Just because both pistons are at the top of the stroke, doesn't mean that they are both in the ignition phase of the cycle. For example: cylinder 1 could be in the end of its compression phase, with a compacted air/fuel mix getting ready to ignite. Cylinder 4 on the other hand is ending its exhaust phase and getting ready to draw in a new air/fuel mixture to be compressed. Does that make sense?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back