The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Finding the right piston rings

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tay97gst

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 20, 2011
Plaistow, New_Hampshire
Hey guys, I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out here. Im trying to get my rings replaced, but I've come up with a situation. I bought the engine used, and was told it has JE pistons, so I bought JE piston rings and dropped it off with my tuner so he could do the swap for me. Well it turns out that the pistons are JE, but the ring bore size is different than the ring set I supplied him. The rings I ordered were supposed to be for .020 over JE pistons so they were 1.2x 1.5x 3mm respectively for each ring, but he says that I need 1.5x 1.5x 4mm for these specific pistons. I'm not sure if they're just an older model piston or what but he said they look in good shape so I'd still like to use them. My problem now is finding the correct rings to go with it. So I'm looking for JE piston rings that have an are 85.5mm bore and 1.5x1.5x4mm for my pistons. So I found these (<- click link) but it says they wont ship until the 5th and I need them ASAP. Also when I search for that product number it comes back as 1.2x1.5x3mm everywhere except JEGS. Anyone else out there able to help me out or link to to the right set I need? Thanks!

I also found these ones http://www.jepistons.com/Products/J670F4-3366.aspx but it seems like the material they're made out of is different than the other rings so I'm not sure if I can use them.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back