The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Does anyone know what these symptoms are??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re4peR26

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2008
Ravenna, Ohio
Well to start i have a 92 tsi awd. with a 16g turbo, 3 inch downpipe, 3 inch exhasut. stock fuel pushing 13-15lbs of boost. Well here is one question i have out of many LOL. When driving down the road the car will begin to like miss or somthing real fast. and then goes away.. does it periodclly only somtimes though.

I'm thinking it has to do with the BOV being vented to the atmosphere, Which im going to change soon once i locate some tubing that is big but flexible.

Last question for now LOL, When i start laying in to it up in the rpms it will kinda detonate or somthing Im guessing its fuel cut for when it spikes. But i could be wrong.

Could somone please fill me in.. BTW i did clutch m/c today shifting is way better!

It sounds like you are misfiring, check your plugs, plug gaps, wires, mine is doing the same thing im gonna try wires tomorrow ill tell you if it works. As for when you floor it youre probably hitting fuel cut, try turning your boost down and see if it fixes it.

Make sure you recirculate the BOV ASAP that might be why..

have you checked for boost leaks recently. If your bov is venting and your accerating and it doesnt close all the way that would cause it to buck and seem like fuel cut. I would do a boost leak test and recirculate your bov

Yeah, I'm going to replace the plugs Tomorrow, Wires are brand new. Ill make sure connection is good on them aswell. Im going to turn the boost down aswell. Hopfully that helps. Im trying to find a hose flexable enough but yet big enough so i can recirculate the bov.

Also. Another question LOL sorry they keep coming up. When the car is idling it will idle at like 1200 drop down to around 800 then will fluctuate.. Any comments on that?

Yeah, I'm going to replace the plugs Tomorrow, Wires are brand new. Ill make sure connection is good on them aswell. Im going to turn the boost down aswell. Hopfully that helps. Im trying to find a hose flexable enough but yet big enough so i can recirculate the bov.

Also. Another question LOL sorry they keep coming up. When the car is idling it will idle at like 1200 drop down to around 800 then will fluctuate.. Any comments on that?

Most likely your ISC check it with a working one from a friend or someone, make sure you do a boost leak test too..

ISC please inform me, Not only that what could be the easiest way to do a boost leak test?

If you still have your 1g BOV, you should still be able to use it and recirculate it. If you have an aftermarket UICP with a different (Greddy) flange, they make adapters CHEAP. The 1g BOV would work just fine up to 17-18psi boost and can be modded (Dodge mod) to hold even more boost without leaking. It's a really good BOV for the money.

If you're the overachieving type, I'd highly recommend making your boost leak tester with a cheap pressure gauge built onto it. That way you don't need someone else to sit in the car watching the boost gauge during the test (my 5-year-old daughter loves to do this for me LOL. One of these days, I'll probably mod my tester to add a gauge.

Make sure you get NGK BPR6ES plugs (NAPA has them @ $2/ea) and gap them to 0.028", use anti-seize on the threads, torque them to spec, and retorque them a day or so later.

Well To update you guys. I Lowerd boost, Recurculated the BOV and its running alot better, Im replacing plugs tomorrow it was way to cold here to do it today. Doesnt really break up at full throttle anymore, a tiny tiny bit but i think its just plugs...

Another thing is that When im just driving around the car like seems as if it bogs or misses or somthing its strange.. Well hopfully getting new plugs will change all that. Im going to take it in for timing belt. I dont trust my self as of yet to perform that sugery.. Any input on that Light miss though would be awsome!!! running 13psi as of now.

Update- I got the plugs in, Put a new hose on the bov recurculation. Adjusted the boost a few more times to fine tune it, its running about 15psi, No high rpm break ups or no low bogging really either. still has a tiny tiny bit in the lower rpms, but other then that its great!!!! In about a week or so, Im going to replace the Timing belt. Then next headgasket with APR's and time to start bulding a beast!!!

Well its back to the drawling board.. I did a boost leak test... No luck finding anything.. and the car still bogs or what not under light throttle just cruzing.. im stumped!

Possibly the transistor pack. Mine was bad and would miss when cruising occasionally. I would restart the car and it would go away for a while.

It could be your plug wires misfiring. The best way to check your wires to see if they are arcing is to start the car at night when there is the least amount of light available and look for arcing along the wires. One of my wires was arcing on the mounting bolt for the timing belt cover. I couldn't see it during the day but at night it was obvious. The arrangement of the spark plug wires is also important because improper arrangement can induce voltage between the wires. If you are standing in front of the engine, the plug on the far left is #4. Going from left to right you have plug 4, 3 , 2 and 1 on the far right. The wires from the plugs to the coil should be routed with 4 and 1 together and 2 and 3 together so that the rubber block near the valve cover should have wires 4 and 1 on the left side and 2 and 3 on the right side. There are arrows on the valve cover that point the direction the wires should be routed.

I checked all of the above.. I found a boost leak, Fixed that. More investigating tomorrow!! hopfully it will get me somwhere...

And yet again another update!!!I replaced Plug wires... Its till doing the low rpm bog/miss type deal.. Im guessing its my coil pack any other opinions... So thats new Plugs gapped at .028 New Accel 8mm Wires, Couple boost leaks fixed, went through all intercooler/turbo piping and tightend it all.. Im runing out of options here!!!

Use the search icon next time, it helped me A LOT.

I use the search icon, Thats the first thing i did to research my problem, and Your right it does help alot on a common problem. Couldent find anyone who had the exact same symtoms as me, So i went ahead and made my own post, Everyone does have a differnt situation and or problem..

When you did the boost test, how high did you pressurize and how fast did it leak down? Should pressurize to 20psi and leak down 1psi every few seconds. If it leaks a lot faster than that, you're not done fixing leaks.

Also, if you're going to be doing all sorts of work on this car, you really need to pick up a logger. They're dirt cheap for 1g owners. Get a refurbished palm pilot with rechargeable battery, RS 232 port, and backlit screen off of eBay, buy an ADLD/OBD1 interface (cable from logger serial cable to the diagnostic port) and go download MMCd or OBDguage for free and install it on the Palm. The logger can "see" what's going on much more than you can, and it may very well show something thats wrong.

15 psi on a stock fuel system is alittle high i would at least get a fuel pump

I had a new set of accel plug wires that leaked voltage at one of the spark plug boots and the valve cover. It caused a misfire and hesitiation. I replaced the accels with ngk wires and the problem went away. Is there any moisture or oil on your spark plug wire boots? What type of plugs do you have? The pcv valve could be leaking boost. Our pcv valves are known to leak boost even when brand new. Some leak boost all the time and others leak at higher boost pressures. The best way to prevent a leaking pcv valve is to install a one way check valved between the pcv valve and the intake. They cost a $1.50 plus shipping from U.S. Plastics. Get the 3/8 diameter valve. The website is Liquid/Gas Check Valves - US Plastic Corporation.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back