The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Clutch issues... wont go in gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galipso

Supporting Member
Aug 23, 2011
Tampa, Florida
So i've been dealing with this issue continuously over the last 2 years. Ive done lots of research on these forums and read a lot of discussions, none of which have helped me fix this issue permanently, only temporary. Here is what i've done:
  • Replaced clutch master cylinder
  • Bled the clutch system
  • measured clutch slave for travel
  • backed out the upper adjuster for maximum clutch travel
  • adjusted the rod to the pedal (over and over and over again)
i cant find that sweet spot that is suppose to allow me to push the slave by and hand and also allow me to go into gear. I continuously adjust the rod to find a spot where it will allow me to go into gear but now it doesnt even do that anymore. I dont want to pull the trans just yet to shim the pivot ball or replace the fork.

Fidanza flywheel, 6 puck clutch disc and pressure plate by XTD

Any suggestions?

@Jacolu3 i have not yet driven my car after i practically replaced every component in my clutch. Im still working on fixing a timing belt issue and a power steering pump leak. I'll post once i get a few miles in

need help 95 eclipse gsx 7 bolt. just put a new clutch and used fidanza flywheel. the car started making a clanking noise. it shifts fine then gets stuck out of gear I can't put it in gear. help

need help 95 eclipse gsx 7 bolt. just put a new clutch and used fidanza flywheel. the car started making a clanking noise. it shifts fine then gets stuck out of gear I can't put it in gear. help

Gonna need more details than that....

First, did you put a new surface disc on the Fidanza? (this was discussed in this thread) and measure the step height? (also discussed)
Second, did you check your crank for crankwalk when you had it apart for the clutch install?
Third, it shifts fine then you get locked out? under what circumstances? have you adjust your pedal? did you measure your fork movement (also discussed in this thread)
Fourth, Which clutch? did you apply the proper torque? Did you replace the throw out bearing? did you shim the pivot ball?

There are a lot of factors in play here and i haven't even asked about the noise yet.

first no I did not put a new Surface on the side of the flywheel because it was in decent condition. Second I did not check the crank for crankwalk have no idea how to do that fairly new to the 4g63 engine not DSM. Third I believe that my pedal probably just needs to be adjusted because I've been tampering with it on and off and it seems to be improving also maybe just get a new slave and master anyhow. For it's a cup clutch eBay cheap OEM replacement came with new throwout bearing I did not shim the pivot ball , and 5th the noise seems to go away while I'm messing with the vacuum lines but it does sound like it's coming from under the valve cover I noticed that my valve cover is cracked and oil is coming out but it comes and goes also I just tuned it today with my safc 2 and it seems to be running a lot better the shift issue I believe has something to do with the bleeding of the clutch and adjusting it

first no I did not put a new Surface on the side of the flywheel because it was in decent condition. Second I did not check the crank for crankwalk have no idea how to do that fairly new to the 4g63 engine not DSM. Third I believe that my pedal probably just needs to be adjusted because I've been tampering with it on and off and it seems to be improving also maybe just get a new slave and master anyhow. For it's a cup clutch eBay cheap OEM replacement came with new throwout bearing I did not shim the pivot ball , and 5th the noise seems to go away while I'm messing with the vacuum lines but it does sound like it's coming from under the valve cover I noticed that my valve cover is cracked and oil is coming out but it comes and goes also I just tuned it today with my safc 2 and it seems to be running a lot better the shift issue I believe has something to do with the bleeding of the clutch and adjusting it

Well.... welcome to owning a DSM... looks like you've got more than just clutch issues going on and should be taken care of before you continue driving it.

Check out YouTube and watch Jack's Transmission guide to adjusting and installing a clutch for an Eclipse.

Check all of your vacuum lines , fix the crack in your valve cover, dont replace items with cheap ebay pieces. Always ask around which items can and cannot be replaced with aftermarket. You'll be surprised how often OEM parts should be used over aftermarket here. It will save you headaches for days.

Use google to search your problems and then add +dsmtuners and you will get tons of threads of people that already had your issue.

Also, as an update for my issues started on this thread....

I have a new power steering pump im gonna put in this weekend. Hopefully the leak didnt fry my alternator. Last time i started it, it was smokin from burning off the oil that was trapped inside.

After this leak is fixed im gonna see how this new clutch works and break it in

Also, as an update for my issues started on this thread....

I have a new power steering pump im gonna put in this weekend. Hopefully the leak didnt fry my alternator. Last time i started it, it was smokin from burning off the oil that was trapped inside.

After this leak is fixed im gonna see how this new clutch works and break it in

Awesome!!
Keep us posted!!

Just an FYI you will want to start your own thread on this issue. Not threadjack galipso.

Man I just went thru this hell on my friends build.

Had XTD flywheel and sprung 6 puck ceramic with excedy hd PP. 2 year old master and slave FROM AUTOZONE.

This is the second clutch in the build, first came with the excedy.

3000mi and it toasted, I could never get the master cyl rod to adj to that "sweet spot" just like you. THIS WILL F UP YOUR CLUTCH

Installed a used act 2100 pp, decent shape, a new act street disk, used the xtd flywheel, had a small ridge but not too bad and a new spec clutch fork.

All back together and it was grinding going into gears and couldn't get into reverse at all... Along with making all kinds of horrible chattering and clanging noises....

Put in a NEW OEM master and slave cylinder (bench bleed first!!!) and wow now I can adjust the rod and got that "sweet spot" now the car goes shifts smoother than ever and has perfect pedal travel and engagement.

GET A NEW OEM MASTER CYL AND YOU WILL BE HAPPY!

I've really learned with most imports you really must get oem on most parts. BMWs, VW, Mits, Subi, Toy, All must be oem sensors and anything hydraulics. American cars usually dont care...

Yeah, almost all the aftermarket junk we got for the car has been that, junk.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back