The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Boost on startup

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I wouldn't be revving the shit out of it right after starting the engine. It doesn't need to be fully warm, but at least let it run for a few minutes.

Well first of all fill out, or update your profile.

A non turbo is not supposed to be boosting at all.So theres that.

Secondly, make sure engine is warm before adding boost pressure.If you just like the sound of the bov, just get an aftermarket one. If you like the spool sound, warm up engine and drive it.

97 talon tsi is my other car. And okay. Anyways back to my question. I crank the car. It idles high because it is cold. I do not touch the throttle. But my gauge says I'm boosting

The stock boost gauge is just the ECUs estimate based on what the MAF is reading. Get yourself an actual boost gauge, and no, there definitely shouldn't be boost while idling.

noooooooooooooooooo

There should never be boost unless there is load. Meaning, only when you are in gear. No matter how hard you rev a car when out of gear, it shouldn't boost

If you are idling even at 2k you should be in vacuum warmed up or not. If you are boosting then you either have a big leak releasing all the pressure and causing the gauge to read 0 but if this is so it would also be running insanely rich and run like sh^t. You shouldn't boost at idle at all. Get an aftermarket gauge.

So if I'm in neutral and reving it wont boost? And okay that's what I wanted to know

Yes if you rev it it will slightly boost depending on your turbo but only if you jam the gas and only while its climbing soon as you let back of the gas it will stop and if you slowly rev it will not boost.

Stock t25 and yeah after it was warmed up I revd and it boosted the trannys messed up and it won't go anywhere at all. Only reason I was asking this is because my stock boisterous gauge showed me I was boosting a little when I had just turned the car on and was not giving it gas

But than again Idk if that gauge is reading right considering its stock. I'll know for sure when I get a new one

I can tell you 100 percent that you aren't making any boost pressure at idle. The gauge might say so, but it isn't happening. You do not need an aftermarket gauge to tell you that. IT is impossible as there will be vacuum in the manifold. If there wasn't the engine wouldn't be idling, it would be accelerating because there is no restriction to keep it from doing so. Having an aftermarket boost gauge is a real good idea, but you don't need that to diagnose something like this, because obviously the engine isn't making boost at idle.

And one more time, the factory gauge reads nothing, it is a calculation done by the ecu. If you have no boost leaks and the car runs fine i would just ignore the factory gauge.

The stock boost gauge ona 1g is prett acurrate.It's whitin a psi or two.But you still need an aftermarket gauge for safety..

High idle could be the biss screw, or idle air control valve.

Stock t25 and yeah after it was warmed up I revd and it boosted the trannys messed up and it won't go anywhere at all. Only reason I was asking this is because my stock boisterous gauge showed me I was boosting a little when I had just turned the car on and was not giving it gas

The stock boost gauge should never be trusted, and that's why you want an after market boost gauge, you shouldn't have any boost at idle, but it is common for the stock gauge to go up and "make it look like you are boosting"

You do realize that the stock gauge also reads vacuum. So if it's moving a little bit from full left that's vacuum not boost.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back