The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Basic MAFT Questions [merged] GM MAF Translator

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotboost55

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 14, 2003
EdmontonCanada
Basic MAFT Questions
What is it?
What does it do?
Where does it go?
Where does the xxxx color wire go?
Can I vent with a MAFT?
What MAF can I use?
Can I use a 2g MAFT with a 1g?
Can I use a 1g MAFT with a 2g?

Sorry guys !but am not really sure about this one.What does the MAFT really do and is it a good buy?thanks

You really should go with the maf and maft set-up. You might as well upgrade your BOV just so that it is decent when upgrading. ( Plus it usually will sound better)

if you put it after the bov you will be fine and not stall and there wont be a rich condition
1. Please fill out your profile. (OP as well)

2. Please use proper punctuation and capitalization in tech sections.

Welcome to DSMtuners guys.

Hey, thanks for the welcome and for pointing me in the right direction!!

I've looked over some more info since I put up my last post, and I'm starting to get a better idea of what's involved.

The 2 reasons that I wanted to switch to a blowthrough setup were that 1.) I could use my existing bov and not have issues, and 2.) boost leaks wouldnt cause any driveability issues. I know thats more of a band-aid fix, since even if my a/f isnt affected by the leak, my turbo and intake system are still working more than they should.

I know that the type-s is discontinued, and without trying to sound like a ricer-toolshed, I just really like the sound of the type-s. Most of the vids I've seen of the type-s have been ones where its been vented, but how is the sound when it's recirculated?

I guess my options are to just get a type-s, if I can find one (just have to wait til I can post/search the classifieds), and recirculate it, or go with a maf and maft and eventually when I have more $$ get a type-s or -rs.

Thanks for the info guys, this site works!!:thumb:

So I have a MAFT set up that was used on a 1g and I was wondering if it would work on a 2g since you can use a 2g MAS on a 1g. Any ideas on this is appreciated.

wow i was about to make this same thread ### I have one and somebody jacked my safc so I'm probably going to use it for now. crazy timing

Great! maybe we can get some answers. On the instructions to the MAFT, it has on their 1g but I am wondering how much different can the signals be considering you can swap a 2g MAS into a 1g.

Here's the link for how to put a 2G MAS in a 1G.

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/2GMAF-1G.html

As you can see, it's not just simple plug and play type of thing. It takes a lot of switching wires around. I would suggest reading through that whole thread and seeing if your answers are in there (as your question about the 1G MAFT in a 2G has be asked many times).

Here's the link for how to put a 2G MAS in a 1G.

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/2GMAF-1G.html

As you can see, it's not just simple plug and play type of thing. It takes a lot of switching wires around. I would suggest reading through that whole thread and seeing if your answers are in there (as your question about the 1G MAFT in a 2G has be asked many times).

I have a 1g in my profile but I am trying to put a GM MAFT setup that was used on a 1g on my 2g car (I have a 1g and 2g car) I tried searching for it but whenever I type in 1g or 2g it says that I have to use more than 2 characters :/ So I am going to sift through 20 pages or so and hope that I find it. Thanks

I have a short question about a blow through setup.

I want to do this on my car for the one and only purpose to get my bov vented to air without idle/fuel problems. All the threads I read about this are about the bigger GM MAF for the obvious reason that it has a bigger ID but I couldn't find anybody who did this with a 2G MAF. ExtremePSI sells a nice kit for $325 with a new MAF and translator and all, but I wan't to know if this is a performance upgrade or really needed for a blow through setup. Because if it can work without, that would save me a lot of money.

My setup in short:
2G Eclipse FWD, JDM 6-bolt, 2G MAF, FMIC, hard piping, SSQV (recirced now), big 16g (plans to go 14-16psi), greddy boost controller, AFC Neo, street setup, somewhere around 300hp power goal, pure daily driver.

Now I was wondering.. If I take my MAF and replace it between the BOV and TB, will it work? Do I need something else? Won't it work at all? Anything else?

That acutally sounds like a good idea. The biggest problem would be finding couplers to fit it to your ic piping, and room to mount it LOL.

looking around I saw a lot of old threads from like 2005 saying that the stock MAS wasn't intended for use as a blow through setup, and should only be used as a draw through. My thinking on that though would be as long as you have it facing the right way in the piping with air being drawn through it and into the TB you should be good. But, these are all assumptions.

Im pretty sure youd need to be retuned for that. I dont know if the stock maf would even work, theres a reason they use a tune-able maf

Ok I've got some more info.
Basicly it should kinda work out. But the problems are with finding coupler hoses and stuff to get the MAF connected on the pipe (big size difference) and maybe too little space.

I think that's also a reason why anybody is picking the GM MAF.

I'll just safe a bit more money and get the set from ExtremePSI and do it the "right" way.

Actually it kind of won't work. Read up on Karman Vortex airflow sensors. They rely on three measurements to calculate air volume; velocity, temperature and, barometric pressure. What do you suppose will be going on in it's little barometer brain when boost pressure exceeds about 1 psi?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok another related question then..

When I run a GM MAF, placed between BOV and TB.
Will I have absolutely no problems at all with a vented bov? No rich mixture, bogging, stalling, just nothing?
Will it run as fine as it is now ? (2G MAF, recirced SSQV)

Ok another related question then..

When I run a GM MAF, placed between BOV and TB.
Will I have absolutely no problems at all with a vented bov? No rich mixture, bogging, stalling, just nothing?
Will it run as fine as it is now ? (2G MAF, recirced SSQV)
That's one major advantage of the blow-through MAFT set-up. The air measurement is just before the throttle body so the little things that can affect mixture (vented bov, boost leaks), don't. Even with a completly separated intercooler connector, the car is drivable.

Drivable yes. Tunable no.
It's ridiculously hard to tune in blow thru setup. Everytime the temp changes outside you have to retune. You'll need a daytime tune and a night time tune, maybe even a morning tune.

I've since gone back to drawthrough mode. It helps me find boost leaks better which reduces strain on the turbo.
That cool "venting to atmosphere" sound gets old and then you just want the car to stop driving like pure booty.
Get an HKS SSQV and it'll be plenty loud in recirc.

I have a SSQV recirced right now, I like the sound of it but still I want to vent to atmo.

But ok I understand about the tuning with weather changes.

But for me the car is a pure daily driver, no dragracing, no track racing, just dialy driving where I want to have loads of fun. The only races I do are stoplight races from time to time ;)
So having that in mind, I can not believe it will make so much of a difference that it will make the car undrivable. If you're going for the finest tuning and squeezing out the last bits of power, sure I understand why this would be worse than the original location. But for a daily driver I can not believe it will make the car undrivable when it's very hot or cold or wet or whatever.

You can believe whatever you want but I've been through this for some time now.
The gm sensor is not designed to work with a boosted intake. Once your car heat soaks (even before then) and the intake is heated up and under pressure the unit is gonna zero out on you and your tune will turn into Kool Aid.

Try it out and get back.
BTW my car is a daily driver too. You're gonna get tired of turning those little maft knobs all the time, trust me. In drawthrough I re-tune about 75% less than I had to in blowthrough.

EDIT: Almost forgot, I don't know how hot it gets where you drive but where I am the maf is useless after just a few stop light pulls. The intake air is just too hot for the sensor... even with a fmic. If memory serves me, the sensor actually heats a wire and measures how much it is cooled by intake air to determine correct a/f. Once the wire gets too hot it just defaults to "you are screwed mode".

The car will be fine to drive as long as you don't plan on boosting much.

You can believe whatever you want but I've been through this for some time now.
The gm sensor is not designed to work with a boosted intake. Once your car heat soaks (even before then) and the intake is heated up and under pressure the unit is gonna zero out on you and your tune will turn into Kool Aid.

Try it out and get back.
BTW my car is a daily driver too. You're gonna get tired of turning those little maft knobs all the time, trust me. In drawthrough I re-tune about 75% less than I had to in blowthrough.

EDIT: Almost forgot, I don't know how hot it gets where you drive but where I am the maf is useless after just a few stop light pulls. The intake air is just too hot for the sensor... even with a fmic. If memory serves me, the sensor actually heats a wire and measures how much it is cooled by intake air to determine correct a/f. Once the wire gets too hot it just defaults to "you are screwed mode".

The car will be fine to drive as long as you don't plan on boosting much.

How can this be true when you have dozens and dozens of dsmers running maft setups with 30 + psi.

I understand that the maft can be a little finicky, especially when they get wet,
but with them zero'd out and another tuning device I havent heard of any issues.
I know a lot of people who run them and if there was any changes in the tune from day to day ( afr ) they were miniscule, not to mention all setups will have little changes due to humidity, heat, etc even if you still run a 2g mas.

I have recently switch to maft setup coming from 2g, I have it zero'd out, and am tuning with my eprom chips with timing locked in the tune to were i set it, and afr modified thru chip.

Amongst a bunch of other benefits, the only complaint i have so far is that it made my whole tune run a little richer in all my fuel trims and Ihave to go back and dial out some fuelk and also it kicks the car out of closed loop operation a lot sooner for some reason.
( I have extended closed loop.) Other than that it seems fine to run daily.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back