The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Bad Fuel pump???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g4ebguy90

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 9, 2011
Rockford, Illinois
Alright guys, I got a week ago, a 91 Eclipse GS with a GST engine. I don't know much about it, but it looks legit. The only thing Idk about it, is the fuel pump and ECU.

Anyways I've noticed that, during boost after about 3k and about 5-7 psi, its like the car really isn't accelerating anymore. But boost continues to climb. I mean it moves but.... not like it should I guess.
Sometimes it misses and loses power.

Then yesterday, I was on the highway going 55 mph, and then all of a sudden acceleration stopped and I couldn't go above 45 mph, I could maintain it, but I had no acceleration.

Then finally today, It's been idling really low, bouncing from 500-700 and dieing at every stop almost.
I parked it for a little bit, I go out and all it did was crank, I tried for like 5 mins and it would just random puff a little. I went under the car to check the pump, and I couldn't feel it vibrate or anything. I tried it one last time, and it fired up and I got it home....

I'm thinking FUEL PUMP but what do you guys think???

You've got a lot of reading to do man. It could be a slew of things. Is your check engine light on?

First thing to check after getting a dsm is always the ecu - 89-94 Capacitor Replacement

Next is do a boost leak test - IC Pipe Tester

If it's been missing a lot lately you need to pull the plugs, they might be fouled out, who knows when they were changed last?

I'm not thinking it's your fuel pump but it could be. If your fuel filter looks old you might as well change that too for peace of mind.

Not my first dsm, I know alot about them but.
I think tomorrow, I'm going to Check the ECU internals, Replace fuel filter, do a compression test, and possibly drop the tank. I need this car to be a little reliable.

I did change the plugs, it eliminated alot of the high rpm misses. So that was part of it, I'll check the coils for resistance also, they might have taken a dump.

I'm just worried that they put in a turbo motor, but didn't put in a turbo fuel pump, cause when I looked under the car, it looked old and rusty. Then again they might have swapped tanks idk.

BTW I just tested the IAC and it had a little high resistance but was alright I suppose, and I put in a O-ring cause it was missing, but it didn't change anything.

Yea that gives you something to think about. If you have a turbo engine but a N/T fuel pump. Check that out asap.

This engine supposley has like 272 cams, Eagle rods, forged pistons, etc etc etc. The engine does appear rebuilt. I can't believe they would neglect to install a turbo fuel pump or a walbro or something.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back