The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

ACT Twin Disk engagement point?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarFawkes

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 27, 2012
Wahiawa, Hawaii
Hey guys, all the manual cars I've driven before had the clutch engage in the top half of the pedal travel until my friend showed me his Integra with a twin disk and his was almost to the floor. Where is the engagement point supposed to be with a twin disk clutch? I just got my new clutch today and I have all new OEM parts to go along with this to include: TOB, release fork, pivot ball, slave, master, flywheel bolts, trans mounting bolts and dowel guides. I will be installing on Friday and just wanted to make sure I do it right so I don't trash my new clutch or worse, my Shep trans.

On a side note, I will not be adding a shim.

My ACT twin engage about 1/4 of the floor in my 2g talon with sheptrans.

It's confusing though because the installation instructions say that the master cylinder needs to be adjusted so the clutch disengages with the least amount of pedal travel but then it goes on to say that some applications will be closer to the floor. I really would like to hear from a transmission guru before I attempt this on my own, having read that horror story of a thread a couple weeks ago where someone trashed 3 transmissions.

StarFawkes said:
It's confusing though because the installation instructions say that the master cylinder needs to be adjusted so the clutch disengages with the least amount of pedal travel but then it goes on to say that some applications will be closer to the floor. I really would like to hear from a transmission guru before I attempt this on my own, having read that horror story of a thread a couple weeks ago where someone trashed 3 transmissions.

He trashed those transmissions as a direct result of that fact.

It would be cool if a drivetrain wiseman could chime in here, or someone running the new ACT Twin Disk.

No one has an answer for this? I may end up calling ACT and Shep tomorrow.

So I called ACT today. Got one person on the phone who told me it was supposed to release near the top, and the next person told me near the floor, and the last person told me near the top. I understand that if it releases near the top then there is a chance you will over extend it if you press it to the floor, but if it doesn't release until its almost to the floor then what are the chances that the clutch drags from not releasing enough?

Can't you adjust the master cylinder rod and clutch pedal stops so that it releases close to the stock position? If it's releasing right off the floor, it's probably dragging. Near the top and you could be overextending it.

If there isn't enough adjustment built into the factory stuff due to it being a weird clutch setup, try a different slave that has a smaller or larger piston depending on which way you're needing more adjustment. Need more disengagement? Use the red piston slave. Need less? Use the green piston unit.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back