The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G 92 Talon strange idle surge when cold and rolling out of gear, stops when car stops and when warm

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

essjayhawk

Probationary Member
Oct 31, 2023
Lawrence, Kansas
Pretty much what's in the title. My 92 1g 2L talon with 88k miles surges when it's cold, but only when it's rolling. The surge stops when the car warms up, but it also stops when the car stops via brakes, handbrake, or just rolling to a stop with no brake. What could this be? I don't want it to be a vacuum leak so I'm trying to rule out other options like MAS, TPS, BISS, etc.

Thoughts/questions?

ETA: throttle bounces between around 1100 and 1300 rpm and idles around 1000 when the car is warm

Last edited:
Have you checked the resource pages? Idle control is probably the most well documented thing about DSMs.

If it's at 1000 RPM something is letting air in. You have to determine if it's ISC. A leak etc. Have you tried the idle set procedure? Do you know the condition of ISC and ECU? Have you looked/tested? You need a multimeter and start there.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back