The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2g mas 1g car

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pandagonier

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 28, 2004
Canton, Ohio
Ok, I finally got my car up and running. There are no boost leaks anywhere. When the 2g mas is unplugged the car will actually idle perfect, but wont drive and will not rev past 4k. Now with it plugged in I have to keep reving it to keep it from stalling, it also backfires, sputters and everyhting else it can do it does. I have tried 2 different mas's and they both do the same thing. I rewired it 3 times, and each time it turns out the same, so I dont think its wired wrong.

Anyone have any ideas at all? I do throw a cel light, but no logger. I did replace the tps, isc motor, tss, knock sensor, and o2 sensor. I'm running a 92 eprom ecu with a stage 3 dsm chip, 92 coil pack and transistor w/bpr8's.

Any help would be great here i'm completely lost. If anyone knows a good dsm shop around Canton,oh that can actually work and knows what they are doing on a dsm that would help out.

Do you got any pics of the installation?
Did you soldier the wire's or just use some type of connector?
You can tell if the mas working if your factory boost gauge is working.
But I see you have a stage 3 dsm chip.

swapped 6 and 14? do you mean swap pin 6 and 14 on the ecu? a little lost on what you mean.

The wires are held together with butt connectors. I didnt solder them together because I kept redoing it cause I thought I messed it up.

yea the factory boost gauge is supposed to be set up as a knock guide by the chip.

I have an old pic in one of my posts on how the wires are connected together. Ill just take some new ones tomorrow and post them.

Thanks for the input guys ill try and get the pics posted. I dont know how much longer I can take the problems from this car ($14000 in 2 years and still doesnt work) before I catch it on fire and sit with a beer and watch it burn. :beatentodeath:

doesn't the swapping of the pins only work on putting a 90 ecu into a 91-94 not 91-94 into a 90?

superflip506 said:
doesn't the swapping of the pins only work on putting a 90 ecu into a 91-94 not 91-94 into a 90?
No, anytime you cross the boundries you have to swap the pins. so a 91+ ECU in a 90 car or a 90 ECU in a 91+ car both need pins 6 and 14 swapped. In addition the first case needs additional work to address the tach problem that come with.

You don't need to cut the wires. You release the pins in the connector and swap them around.
I do this several times in a week and some days several times a day. I takes me about 30 seconds to change the pins around. There is a article in the tech library on how to pop the pins out.

Steve

Did you remember to switch the wires on the 2g maf? On a 1g the last wire on the 2g plug connection isnt used. If you look at the 2g plug you will see a wire going in but no pin to go into the maf. You have to pull it out and switch it with another wire!! RE READ the vfaq 2g maf install real good
I remember when I installed the 2g maf in my car and didnt switch the wires! It had a bad idle and throw a code!

dsmsucks said:
Did you remember to switch the wires on the 2g maf? On a 1g the last wire on the 2g plug connection isnt used.
What do you mean?
Both the 1G MAF and 2G MAF use 7 wires/signals. If you have a real 2G MAF plug then nothing on that plug moves. If you use a PTM plug then you have to move the pins in he connector before you can wire it up.

Steve

This is what I was saying, From vfaq

Depress the tabs on the one end of the tan wire retainer and push/pull it out of the plug
Grab the orange silicone plug in position 5 and pull it out
Shine a flashlight in the back of the plug, you will see a tab holding the number 8 terminal in the plug
Stick a pin/needle in there and depress the tab and the wire pulls out easily. Do not just yank on the wire!
Place that wire in position 5, place the orange silicone plug in position 8, and replace the tan wire retainer in the plug
The ignitor is also known as the Power Transistor, it is the small black box bolted to the intake manifold near/under the coils.
You have to switch 8 with 5 on the 2g plug.

dsmsucks said:
You have to switch 8 with 5 on the 2g plug.
This is only if your using a connector from a PTM or some other random part. If your using a real 2G MAF connector the wires are already in the right positions.

Perhaps I'm missing your point, but if somebody grafted a 2G MAF connector onto a 1G harness and had something running to pin 8 when they were done I'd say they screwed up.

:beatentodeath:

Steve

today i pulled the ecu to make sure i swapped pins 6 and 14. Well 14 was pulled apart cause i cut them. so this time i solder them together.

I then tried to see if the car would run with the mas plugged in, and it didnt. So i switched a few wires on it, and I actualy got it to idle right. I could actually rev it past 4k and listen to my new greddy rs vent =). But when I went to drive it, the car wouldnt go anywhere. What I mean is that when I gave it gas it would take for ever for the tach to raise. I went around the block and couldnt get my car past 25mph.

So then I went back and tried at least 20 other different combos with the wires,some did the same and others did worse. Could it be a bad mas? or another sensor that could be bad.

Also on a few of those combos the cel light actually went off, but would came back on after 10 or so seconds.

When I wire the mas from what vfaq says, the car just dies right away but other combos it would rev good, but couldn't drive it.

The pictures would be postes, but my puppy chewed the usb wire for the camera.

How did you wire the 2g mas in? Did you splice or swap out connectors? The reason I ask is because all I did was splice the 2g connector into my harness, replacing my 1g connector and everything works fine. If you did splice what color wires did you splice to what?

Steve

I just twisted the wires together to make sure I had it right. I didnt want to solder them together and then have to redo it. I dont remember all what I tried. But i know I tried a few variations that were similiar to the vfaq. How the vfaq says to wire it, my car just dies and will not rungood at all.

do you think soldering them together would make it better?

Having them twisted for now for testing purposes is fine. But when you get it right I would go back and solder them back together. What I need is the color wire from the maf did you connect to what color wire from the harness? This way we can troubleshoot what you did and find out where the mix up was. List them on your next post. Kinda like:

2gmas>>1g wire harness colors

I don't usually find the colors of the wires on the MAF connector that you just swapped in very helpfull. If you refer to the pictures in the VFAQ and tell us which color wires from the 1G harness connect to pins 1-7 that would clear the matter up.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Steve

I'm using the same plug in the pic. I wired them to what vfaq said and it doesnt work....dunno maybe i screwed them up wiring them.

I had it this way and it didnt work at all, im sure this is the way vfaq has it....

#1-green/red
#2-green/yellow
#3-green/blue
#4-red
#5-green/black
#6-green/orange
#7-green/white

Then I tried it in reverse also, still got crap. I was thinking of calling shep's shop and seeing if they could do it for me since hes only 20 mins away. I thought his shop was up in norwalk, oh ,but thats buschurs.

That doesn't seem right. Not for our 90 model anyways. My original question was how are you splicing into the 1g harness? Did you just cut the 1g plug off and splice the 2g plug into the harness? If so then I can provide you with the schematics that I used and it will work. Let me know.
You shouldn't have to take it to a shop to get it working. This is only a 15 minute ordeal and then your done.
Steve

That would make your wiring :

#1-green/red (+5 pin 4)
#2-green/yellow (Baro pin 7)
#3-green/blue (Air Flow pin 2)
#4-red (+12 pin 3)
#5-green/black (Ground pin 6)
#6-green/orange (IAT pin 8)
#7-green/white (Reset pin 1)

And that looks correct to me unless I'm too tired and missed something.

Steve

Yea i just cut the 1g plug off, stripped the wires and twisted them together.

as for the 2g mas being hacked, yea. no bottom or side honeycombs, just the center.

Auto RS T said:
Center honeycomb hacked? I did not hack my sensor but i am fairly confident you are not supposed to take out the center honeycomb. Does anyone know for sure?
I think he was saying that only the center remained. I subscribe to the school that doesn't think hacking the MAF is such a good idea at all. If your overrunning the sensor get a bigger one like the EVO/3G or GM MAF.

Steve

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back