The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1g Front Driveshaft in 2g Hub Assy Compatibility

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The 4ce

Probationary Member
May 8, 2018
San Diego, California
A bit of backstory... I am doing a frankenstein awd build on an old '74 Colt. All suspension/chassis datums and hard mount locations have been tossed by the wayside. Due to parts scarcity, I'm trying to figure out interoperability of parts. In this particular case, I am trying to figure out if the 1G Front AWD Driveshaft (non-ABS) will properly mate/mount to a 2G AWD Front Hub Assy? Keep in mind that I will be relocating new mount points for the hub assembly, so the classic driveshaft length issue between 1g and 2g is not really the limiting factor. I just need to know if a 1g front outer shaft with integrate with a 2g front hub assembly.

Are you trying to identify if the outer splines of 1g front halfshafts/axles will properly mesh with the splines on a 2g AWD front? The driveshaft is what goes from the transfer case to the rear differential.

I can't answer your question because I've never worked with 1g parts but I can say that 2g front AWD and FWD hubs are the same. The entire hub/bearings/carrier assembly is interchangeable. Are you planning to use the 2g front knuckle as well? If not there might be some clearance concerns behind the hub as well.

Are you trying to identify if the outer splines of 1g front halfshafts/axles will properly mesh with the splines on a 2g AWD front? The driveshaft is what goes from the transfer case to the rear differential.
Yes. Will 1g front axles (MB526437) mesh with 2g front hub assemblies (MR455004) without any fitment/clearance issues with accompanying 2g hub hardware (i.e. knuckel, rotor, caliper)?

I can't answer your question because I've never worked with 1g parts but I can say that 2g front AWD and FWD hubs are the same. The entire hub/bearings/carrier assembly is interchangeable. Are you planning to use the 2g front knuckle as well? If not there might be some clearance concerns behind the hub as well.
Yes, I planned on using the 2g front knuckles. The idea is to maintain the 1g track width (narrower) for this build. But there are more 2g cars on my local scrap yard to pick parts from, hence using 2g hub assemblies.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back