The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

1995 gsx aiming for a 575 whp street killer.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axloverstreet

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 2, 2008
greencastle, Indiana
Ok, this is my first build journal. Basically my first legit build build.. not gonna lie.

Lets start off with the base car here. Its a 1995 Eclipse GSX 5 speed. I threw this thing together last fall to get me threw the winter, and it almost made it threw the whole winter until it took a series of unfortunate events a little to serious, and stuff broke. LOL :ohdamn: . After it sat there for a couple months in the garage alone, i decided to do something with it. Set my goal at 450 whp. After I started getting parts, the goal was quickly raised to 500, then to 550, then to 550-600ish. Last fall, I got a t3 tubular manifold, with a 38mm ext. wg. and a 63mm. with custom made down pipe, to apexi N1 full. Fuel wise everything else was stock, had cold air, FMIC, and a short throw shifter.. just little things. nothing crazy. I will now list all the parts ive gathered up in the past three slow months.

FUEL
-cheap FPR (looking into getting a nice fire wall mounted)
-fuel pressure gauge
-have precision 1000cc injectors (looking into some FIC 1650s)
-e85
-dual wally 255

Exhaust.
-turbonetics .50 trim t/3 to 4bolt to vband .
-3in open dump out the bumper
-open dump off 38mm extwg as well. w/ bc

INTAKE
-running stock TB for the moment, probably going to swap to a ported 1g NT
-same side in/out FMIC for a super short route with HKS bov
-3in. GM maf (w/o translator) (jumper harness to stock maf plug)
-stock intake manifold ported, along with slight porting of head on both sides.
-2.5 in hard pipes threw out.
-single cable throttle cable. (no cruise)

TUNING
-being tuned on dsm link v3 full (boostin performance)

HEAD/BLOCK
-BC single V springs
-GSCS2 274/274
-6bolt cam gears
-7bolt block
-stock polished crank
-clevite bearings
-eagle H beam rods
-wiseco 8.3:1 pistons (std bore)
-cometic mls 85.5mm head gasket
-oem new water pump
-oem new oil pump
-gates timing gernade.
-gates timing idler pulley, and tensioner pulley
-gates racing blue timing belt
-balance shaft removal kit
-heads gonna be hot tanked, and pressure tested.
-block will have a fresh hone, and is going to be blue printed for the bearings and such.
:hellyeah:

This thing is breaking me LOL. so much $$$$ which im preaching to the choir I know LOL. Im excited to get this thing done soon and have some fun until it breaks again. I still have a million ??s and still need some guidance on alot of little things. Just a couple small things. wiring dual fuel pumps? ABS delete? just little things. I know how to research, but this forum is getting harder and harder to search it seems like.

Anyways just wanted to get more involved with this community and introduce myself. Its Axl Overstreet, from brazil IN. so if anyones close and wants to help.. come on over haha. ill post pics later and keep everyone up to date for anyone who is interested.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great build. Make sure to keep us posted and update often!

Just some thoughts so far, and I am by no means an expert LOL, so you may want to double check me.

1. Don't forget to upgrade the transmission to handle that power. You will probably at least need to weld the front diff and make sure to choose a clutch that can handle the torque.

2. A .50 trim will get you to 500 crank hp, but probably not whp.

3. 2.5 in intercooler pipes are okay, but may want to look into 3in.

4. Definitely want to trade out your 1000cc injectors for some 1600cc or bigger if you are planning on running E85.

5. Nice choice on DsmLink V3. Are you planning on running Speed Density?

Sounds like a great build. Make sure to keep us posted and update often!

Just some thoughts so far, and I am by no means an expert LOL, so you may want to double check me.

1. Don't forget to upgrade the transmission to handle that power. You will probably at least need to weld the front diff and make sure to choose a clutch that can handle the torque.

2. A .50 trim will get you to 500 crank hp, but probably not whp.

3. 2.5 in intercooler pipes are okay, but may want to look into 3in.

4. Definitely want to trade out your 1000cc injectors for some 1600cc or bigger if you are planning on running E85.

5. Nice choice on DsmLink V3. Are you planning on running Speed Density?

on the drive train Ive read around and people can run around 600-700 on stock...... for a while. LOL. thats the next step after I get a solid build. For the .50 trim turbo.. lets just say Im slowly regretting my decision on it. I think its to small LOL. For the IC piping I was torn between 2.5, and 3. Decided on 2.5 for now just for spool time. If it becomes an issue later on, of course ill be forced to upgrade LOL. 1650cc injectors are going to be ordered very soon. This build wasnt supposed to be this big of #s when I originally started purchasing parts. I was going to use speed density, but have decided to run 3in GM, and translate it with link. Speed density, is absolutely still an option. For the clutch Im gonig to be running a sprung ACT 6puck. Some of the people around here have been having good luck with some cheaper clutches, but weren't running over 300-400 hp, so leaning towards the ACT for sure.

Ill keep everyone updated. Ill take some pics here soon of the car, and whats in it now, as well as all the parts I have collected. And yes I am by far a dsm wiseman LOL this is my first big build and I cant explain how excited.. and stressed I am for it.
Still months out from being finished, and I apologize in advance for asking stupid ???s .

I don't think my picture posted..

Attachments

• photo (6).jpg
    photo (6).jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 147
got some more parts in! If I could just sell my bike already, I'd have it finished very shortly after.

Attachments

• photo (8).jpg
    photo (8).jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 133
The intercooler you got there and the pipes will not get u to 500hp ! The intercooler is junk and the pipes don't even have beads on the ends . The cuppler is gunna just shoot off

I live in fort wayne indiana but i dont know how much help i would be, i have never built my car for that hight of hp but im willing to try to answer any of your questions! good lick with the build man!!!

yeah LOL thats a drive from me, Im from Greencastle, cars in Brazil..

-Buddy of mine makes 446WHP on cheaper IC, and pipes. Not knocking your advice, I have a tool to make the lip on the pipes if need be, but theyre getting welded together. to make two pipes with only a couple couplers. If the don't hold up, ill get some nice ones when it comes time.

Oh. and I didnt buy an "intercooler kit" LOL. This whole car is being pieced togehter slowly

That intercooler is probably going to be a bottleneck in your system if you are shooting for almost 600whp. Judging by the design, it looks like it will get heatsoaked fairly quick and if you can't keep those intake temps down, you will never have consistent power.

I would look into a VRSF front mount kit. They get the best reviews and for $309.99 a kit you can't beat them.

That intercooler is probably going to be a bottleneck in your system if you are shooting for almost 600whp. Judging by the design, it looks like it will get heatsoaked fairly quick and if you can't keep those intake temps down, you will never have consistent power.

I would look into a VRSF front mount kit. They get the best reviews and for $309.99 a kit you can't beat them.

I can agree with this. The more and more i see other peoples builds, and research. Im gonna be looking into getting a new one, and yeah I've heard good things about the VRSF. Honestly probably going to be the route i take.

Its SLOWLY coming along. Dont have much time to work on it, and funds are running low from my other dumb hobbies LOL. Heres some new parts that came in. Looking to have the engine assembled in the next month or so. Block is going off to the machine shop shortly. Getting a fresh hone, deck, and possibly line bore (if needed). Not using this Tbelt. have a gates racing (timing kit is gates) oil pump is oe

oh, one more thing. I have also decided not to go with the BSE pictured above, I ordered OE parts to piece one together.

Attachments

• photo (36).jpg
    photo (36).jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 126
  • photo (37).jpg
    photo (37).jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 112
  • photo (38).jpg
    photo (38).jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 129
I think Im gonn go VRSF. And yeah ill post some pics of the actual car, and whats still on the car currently very soon :) I have two slicks on it now, LOL no hating just checking for fitment.

I may have posted some twice, so I apologize if so LOL.. HERE is what I'm sinking all my money into LOL. Dont mind the sticker, I was a dumb teen once LOL. The purple gst spyder is my female friends, hood is mine LOL.

Oh. and all of the pictures above are just whats done to it now. My list way at the top, is whats being sunk into the car. Should be fun for a while.

Attachments

• photo (42).jpg
    photo (42).jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 136
  • photo (41).jpg
    photo (41).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 132
  • photo (40).jpg
    photo (40).jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 145
  • photo (39).jpg
    photo (39).jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 159
  • photo (43).JPG
    photo (43).JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 142
  • photo (44).jpg
    photo (44).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 144
  • photo (45).jpg
    photo (45).jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 154
  • photo (46).jpg
    photo (46).jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 145
  • photo (47).jpg
    photo (47).jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 145
  • photo (48).jpg
    photo (48).jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 143
heres some more pics of the car as it sits, parts should be getting finished up in the machine shop within the next couple weeks :hellyeah:

photo (49).jpg

photo (50).jpg

photo (51).jpg

threw that junk BSE kit away, ordered some OEM parts from the dealer (got this list from a thread on here

photo (52).jpg

can anyone confirm i got the correct parts above :) ^^^^^^

Not sure if ive told anyone my plans yet. So here goes. Im going to get tuned on 93 with my 1000cc and 50 trim for now, should get to around 450 wheel hopefully (also ordered a vrsf I/C kit). Then next spring ill have my top mount manifold a precision 5858, and go e85 to get me around 600. Also (will get pics soon) getting a TRE stage 2 transmission, and transfercase. With the 4spider gears instead of 2. :)

Ah ha! Another 5858 user. We are RARE LOL. Im ditching mine with the new setup. I saw 52lbs min on a ported dsm housing though.

hey, how bout some pics of how you ran your exhaust? Im wanting to keep my ac and have a very short 3" vband. I dont want to be breathing exhaust fumes at a light though. Im thinking of dumping mine downward right past the firewall so its only about 5ft long total.

nvm, i know how you did it, you didnt have to worry about IC piping. Its wide open for you to dump down right there.

Well the IC pictured up there isn't bring use anymore, I went with the vrsf kit. It's just going to be a 90 right off the turbo, down a couple inches and another 90 heading towards the driver side as its going to exit the bumper LOL. It's not going to be a daily daily. Track and weekend toy.

You've probably figured it out by now, but yes those are the correct OEM BSE parts. Great build!

yeah LOL, i just have no confidence in myself, so Im slowly freaking the fu*k out cause its going together like next week. LOL. Still need to brush up on timing, BSE install, what i can and can not delete off my firewall, and just alot of stuff.

motor mounts :)
photo (62).jpg

$1140.65 later its all back and ready to get assembled. :hellyeah:

photo (63).jpg

photo (64).jpg

photo (65).jpg

photo (66).jpg

photo (67).jpg

photo (68).jpg

:pray: :pray: :pray: this all works like its supposed to ROFL

Ive been working on it for a couple days now, hadnt had much extra time. But heres what ive gotten together in the past couple days. Still alot of work to be put into the car and such, but its slowly becoming a car again. image (3).jpg

image (2).jpg

image (4).jpg

image (5).jpg

image (6).jpg

image (7).jpg

image (8).jpg

image (10).jpg

image (11).jpg

image (12).jpg

Great build man, im shooting for similar goals when I get back from my deployment. Looking forward to updates, keep them coming!

I respect the hell out of ya man, fighting for our country!! Its coming along slowly. Itll run one day LOL:hellyeah:

What suspension mods are you doing?

Which wideband are you using?

Which afpr & size lines are you using once you tune for e85?

Do you plan on upgrading the tranny mounts as well?

Prothane or solid bushings?

Very interested in results since I'm pushing the stock limits of tranny, head, & block on my 20g.

What suspension mods are you doing?

Which wideband are you using?

Which afpr & size lines are you using once you tune for e85?

Do you plan on upgrading the tranny mounts as well?

Prothane or solid bushings?

Very interested in results since I'm pushing the stock limits of tranny, head, & block on my 20g.

Using an innovate LC1, I'll be running aeromotive fpr, and stainless lines (not 100% on size) and either dual Wally 255s, or an aem E-pump, andI have full Polly mounts.
There will be plenty of updates keep an eye on my build. Jon @ TRE should have my trans and tcase done in the next two weeks. Going stage 2 with the 4spider front diff. I'm getting more and more excited!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back