The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

What did you do to your DSM today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not my car but a friends. Im pulling it all apart

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Dammit Bobby, quit sneaking around my house. Looks like my place (but better kept) and my cars (but better kept). :thumb: ROFL

Looks like NOTHING, but all mounts are in place and tight, just not marked. With help tomorrow, I will have the Tcase in the, DS in and the CV's in, then the car moved out of the lift bay.. 🤞

Dammit Bobby, quit sneaking around my house. Looks like my place (but better kept) and my cars (but better kept). :thumb: ROFL
I sure wish i had more DSM friends local to spend evenings and events with! We are a very small group here and this friend happens to be 10 mins down the road LOL so very close and random event in me finding him! But he is glad i came about as this work on his chassis and other work would NEVER of happened without me being around. Everyones afraid of these cars here.

The garage is small so cannot do this work inside but at least parts storage inside is possible thankfully

TIL you can own a dsm and not an air compressor.

Gave my upper steering column shell gauge mount some filler and love, then a lot of coats of sandable primer. Will sand it down tomorrow and throw on some paint tomorrow as I've had enough sanding for today.

Picked up my short block stuff today from the shop. Build begins.

Will drop off my head parts next week after I pick them up from North Dakota later this week. Gonna spend some time in Fargo, it's been a long time since last.

Did you 3D print that, and if so, do you have an STL you're willing to share?

Draining the decade+ old gas out of the talon later, going to check all the fluids, splicing a new knock sensor plug (stolen from the eclipse) into to replace the mess that's there, and if the universe smiles on me, I may test fire the engine.

Freshening up the valve cover bolts. I found hardware from Belmetric that closely resembles the OEM JIS hardware. I’m going to place a second order to do the rest of the engine bay.

Made my first order (well, attempt, so far) with Amayama today. How exciting.

Side skirt fasteners. Local dealership wanted over $5 each for them. Yeah, no. Even if it costs me nearly the same after shipping, it's the principle of the thing. I don't need them for a while anyway.
Make sure you go back and re-authorize payment when they confirm it’s available. I think they’re great, and the packaging has always been impeccable!

Took my bumper off to make a support for it and found this weight saving way to mount a FMIC. It screws into the support in front of the radiator. I flipped it over and well... it holds air I guess.

So far today,
Swapped out hood latch for a functioning one
Front bumper support

Still to come: swap radiator, move over-fill tank, replace turbo oil line copper bushings.

Did you 3D print that, and if so, do you have an STL you're willing to share?

Draining the decade+ old gas out of the talon later, going to check all the fluids, splicing a new knock sensor plug (stolen from the eclipse) into to replace the mess that's there, and if the universe smiles on me, I may test fire the engine.
Ive been thinking of getting a 3d printer but no, this is a combination of the OEM upper shell and this: https://a.co/d/03ta08qV

Cut a hole in the top the shape, trimmed the flat part off the gauge mount, and then stuck the two together. I tried to use fiberglass but it didn't bond so JB weld and sanding. Now I have a fiberglass mould of the two LOL
Used some body filler to fill in some larger voids and then a lot of sandable auto primer.

Think I'm going to go flat black for paint

Was gonna convert it to SD today, but working nightshift in EMS means that if you have two days off, you really only have one. Because that first day off you're gonna catch up on all the sleep you missed out on, whether you like it or not. Sigh.

This is relevant because I opened the hood to convert it to SD, but it's so late in the day it's mosquito cloud hour so today is a wash. Closed the hood and went back inside.

Maybe tomorrow is the day.

Well my honda intake hack didn't quite fit so i made a "cold air" intake out of leftover intercooler pipes 🤷‍♂️ it's ratchet but it'll work I guess. K&N filter will go on instead of trash filter they sent with the ebay kit. Also no nipple for the hose from vc to intake so... breather filter? Catch can?

Is this timing belt kit any good ?
Well that's a new one.. a Mitsu timing belt in a box labelled as such.

The GMB water pump should be fine, as are Gates. I've run either of those for over a decade. But I'd steer clear of GMB pulleys.

That timing belt is suspect. The box looks too .. fancy. And if they aren't honest about the picture, you can only imagine the components that kit is made of.

I was going to clean/power wash the block today but it started to rain. I don't want to be outside in the rain. So I recoated the cylinders, deck, and front with some more WD40 and bagged it back up.

The GMB water pump should be fine, as are Gates. I've run either of those for over a decade. But I'd steer clear of GMB pulleys.

That timing belt is suspect. The box looks too .. fancy. And if they aren't honest about the picture, you can only imagine the components that kit is made of.

I was going to clean/power wash the block today but it started to rain. I don't want to be outside in the rain. So I recoated the cylinders, deck, and front with some more WD40 and bagged it back up.
Is that mitsubishi or mitsuboshi?

Well my honda intake hack didn't quite fit so i made a "cold air" intake out of leftover intercooler pipes 🤷‍♂️ it's ratchet but it'll work I guess. K&N filter will go on instead of trash filter they sent with the ebay kit. Also no nipple for the hose from vc to intake so... breather filter? Catch can?

So the Honda cai didn’t work for your 2G? Why not? Were the bends wrong?

After all these years my original coolant reservoir finally gave up, one of the few OG parts left on the car. Noticed a little puddle under the car Tuesday night and traced it down to a tiny crack where it mount onto the oem bracket.

Not 100% what route I wanted to take for a replacement so for a quick fix I ordered the cheapest Amazon universal res I could get before the weekend and mounted that up tonight, it'll do for this weekends race. If you get one, they are sealed and don't have any way for air to escape, so I drilled a tiny pin hole in the cap to allow coolant to actually enter it.

GMB, koyo, NTN are all oem branded pullys. Nothing with with any three of these.

GMB, koyo, NTN are all oem branded pullys. Nothing with with any three of these.
I've not yet seen a GMB branded pulley off an OEM purchase or stock block in the last 15 years; NTN has been the most common and Koyo less so. So I will stand corrected as that seems to be the notion and I trust your statement
I'm actually picking up a set of each today, will report back the brand lottery winner

I've not yet seen a GMB branded pulley off an OEM purchase or stock block in the last 15 years; NTN has been the most common and Koyo less so. So I will stand corrected as that seems to be the notion and I trust your statement
I'm actually picking up a set of each today, will report back the brand lottery winner
They try to stay koyo mitsu do. White box can be any of them 3. NTN is the second go to for them. GMB have been part of their support network like aisin have fo so long now. I have used GMB for years if it comes in i run it. As long as its those 3 brands it gets run. Aisin tensioners also perfectly safe along side NTN

That's interesting -- maybe it's a Canada thing that domestic cars here got NTN by luck of the draw first. Not that my experiences are indicative of this market as a whole, just the middle part LOL

That's interesting -- maybe it's a Canada thing that domestic cars here got NTN by luck of the draw first. Not that my experiences are indicative of this market as a whole, just the middle part LOL
When I get home i will bring out my new white box ones out and then grab some old oem mitsu supplied ones.

On my last timing for my 1G talon i had NTN for tensioner pully and idler and BS were GMB.

Koyo are brown seals.
NTN are blue seals.
GMB are green seals.

Others can be the same or similar of course but i make sure the names on it.

Here you can see the 2 pullys. I cannot say if GMB is made in different locations or not. I have had genuine kits come in and koyo and ntn in the past sometimes mixed. But thats what they try to lean towards. White box just happens to include GMB and no other versions after that i have found or seen.

Gates i wont trust at all. To many horror stories on pully seals blowing out. Only thing on gates i trust is blue belts and aux belts LOL, they cheapend the pullys(china) and waterpumps now suck. So i never use them now for anything. I even get customers to avoid them to excluding the mentioned parts that are good

Replacing u joints. Thought these would be solid, guess not.

Replacing u joints. Thought these would be solid, guess not.

Stupid question, would filling these with something not strengthen them? I don’t even know what you’d fill it with tbh, in my head I’m seeing like a crucible and some scrap iron or aluminum or something and just pour it in. LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back