The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Uninstalling & Installing Side Markers

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyGSX

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 20, 2009
Bergen County, New_Jersey
Hey, just trying to check with people first. I bought new clear side markers and installing them is pretty much just snapping them in, what about uninstalling the ones on right now? Do i unscrew the bumper in the wheelwell or what? thanks

get a small flathead screwdriver (like you would use to work on a computer) and slide it in and pop it out. all you have to do is disconnect the light from the assembly and take the metal bracket off the currently used light and put it on the new light assembly.

of course you can forget to put the bracket on... as it doesn't bolt to the car at all, its just used for weight on the assembly. but after driving so and so many miles it may pop out and get lost on the road somewhere and you'll have cut wires from where the light was just holding the assembly to the car before it snapped.

or use the bracket and not worry about the above scenario at all.

Just unscrew the one screw in there. Spin the metal clip around, then it should pop out. Extremely easy. I just swapped the bulbs this week, takes two seconds.

the one screw that holds the bracket onto the light assembly. it's really not hard at all. when you pop your oem lens out you will see what we are talking about. to pop the lenses out takes about 5 minutes for both of them (including the time to walk around the car). Time to take the brackets off and swap them may take longer but shouldn't take more than 20 minutes of your time.

Sorry, you can call me retarded, but i'm not seeing how these just pop out.. And I know our cars are already fragile so i'm not trying to break it.

I really hope youre not talking about the screw on the clamp of the back of the light.. I was trying to unscrew that for a good 10 minutes(just the passenger side) and it is not budging a millimeter. It doesn't make things easy when its 100 degrees out and my front bumper is 2 inches off the ground.

anyone?

Last edited:
Stick your head under the bumper, unscrew the single philips screw on the back of the light, push back the little metal piece that the little screw was held in by, and remove the lens.
I can see why you want to ask in advance, but seriously, look at it for a second and you will get it. If not, you probably should trade in your DSM. LOL

the lens is not held in by anything, not secured to anything. it pops out just as the dome light does for when you replace a bulb. assuming your not running a fiberglass bodykit it will snap right out with a very small flathead screwdriver. just pry on the underside of the lens closer to the door and it will "pop" right out but it will still be attached to the car by the wiring that is still connected to the bulb still in the light assembly. you can do one of two things. just twist the bulb and take it out, or unclamp the pigtail disconnect.

right now it sounds like you are still stuck at the popping it out of the car part. you will not bend or break or damage anything by prying it out with a very small screwdriver like i have said. no reason to get under your car, jack your car up, get on top of your car, pop the hood up on your car or even get any tools out at all except one standard Phillips screwdriver (to take off the rear bracket) and one flathead screwdriver (pic a size but the smaller the better to leave less scratches or anything) to pop it out.

the only thing to fear at all is if you have a fiberglass front bumper as doing this will probably cave it in to look like wet confetti. but then again, if you have fiberglass... i wouldn't breath too hard on or around it either.

i did this on my own car in 5 minutes, all it took was me getting on one knee like a guy proposing. the bracket swap is a dif story.

What bracket are you talking about? I swapped my bulbs like 4 days ago. All I had to do to remove the lens was unscrew the single philips, and the lens pops out. Then you just twist the light out like the headlight bulb. No bracket other than the little 2 or so inch metal corner held in by the philips screw that I just mentioned. Here it is, ignore the arrows, but notice the single philips just to the right of the bulb wires...2G Bumper Removal 98 Eclipse RS

Your doing it the hard way and then some.

Heres some pics...
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

And finally the bracket i am referring to...

As i said.
you are wasting your time doing it that way as the bracket does not actually mount or bolt to anything in or on the car.

As i said.
you are wasting your time doing it that way as the bracket does not actually mount or bolt to anything in or on the car.

I'd suggest just unscrewing that screw first and poppingthe lens out. This way you are not prying on your bumper. As you can see nothingfiction scratched his bumper up a little bit pryingit off. Its the same steps, just the wrong order.

And the bracket acts as a clip on the other side of the bumper. The one side has a plastic clip built into the assembly and this side has a metal one with a screw, so that you can unscrew the screw take off the metal clip and easily remove the lens. do it my way and you will be able to use the metal bracket again and not worry about losing your new clear lenses.

From the spacing of the scratches you should be able to tell that the scratches are not from the removal of the light assembly. it is crap like that why i refuse to drive on gravel roads though.

hey guys sorry i was on vacation, and i was trying to unscrew the screw in the back, yeah i'm stupid, but now i have got it. And no I cannot stick my head under my bumper as my arm can barely fit.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back