The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Tein Basics Coilovers vs. Megan Racing Coilovers

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRK420a

Probationary Member
Aug 8, 2008
Lithonia, Georgia
Ok I am about to purchase some coilovers but I need some honest opinions as far as performance and overall adjustability.

1.Tein Basics

2. Megan Racing

I have a set of Tein coilovers and I would strongly recommend them. The ride is pretty smooth and very aggressive. The height adjustment is pretty easy to do the only downside is you have to take the wheels off to do it, and the stance of my car is amazing with them.

how aggressive are the tein basic coil overs i need some new s[ring to bad mine are sagging and stuff wandering how they ride and how bad the squat is during wot. where did you by them from?

That depends, what is the intended use/performance your looking for? If you just want a lower car that handles better then stock on the street, then they should both do the trick. If on the other hand your looking to track the car & want a good coilover, their both junk ;)

I just wanted a drop car that rides smooth and I found that with the tein basics slammed. It rides like stock. I can take railroads and other obstacles without worrying about being bouncing around in my car. The funny thing is when I bought this coilover and anyone who's been in my car has yet to complain because it doesn't feel drop. Then I would see other dropped cars bouncing every I go is hilarious. I would think man, just to spend a few more hundred could of save yourself from bouncing everywhere causing parts to ware down.
And yes it's stiffer then stock and ate my tires pretty good after a course of a year since i had them. But that's the risk of any drop car without camber kits.

i just want something that will help from chewing the insides of my rear tires all to shit. it is in line every thing was good on it i just need something stiffer than stock i believe.

Suspension doesn't kill the inside of tires (unless for some strange reason your current suspension is physically rubbing the tire). If your just talking uneven tire wear, thats alignment related, not suspension related. If your cars been professionally aligned & you still have the issue, I'd be looking elsewhere for another alignment.

We call them Wisemen for a reason.

Both coilovers are purported to be made in the same factory, neither is rebuildable, both will slam the car...potAYto, poTAHto.

Toe eats tires.

The Tein coilovers can be rebuilt.
I don't understand why people say Teins are junk, I love my Type Flex coilovers.

The Tein coilovers can be rebuilt.
I don't understand why people say Teins are junk, I love my Type Flex coilovers.

It really depends on what your doing with them. If your just looking for something thats "sportier" then stock, I'm sure they'll do the trick fine. If your going to track the car & looking for a "decent" suspension setup to be competitive, you should probably be looking elsewhere.

If you talk to the suspension "guru's" that really know our cars, they will tell you the majority of Japanese are complete junk. Shocks that overheat way to quickly, compression/rebound adjusters that don't work as they should, coil rates that aren't correct for the way the shocks are valved (or even ideal spring rates to start with), coil rates that don't match what they are spec'd to be & the list goes on.

If your looking for a "budget" coilover setup, Koni yellows & Ground Control are what I'd recommend. They may not look as fancy as alot of other stuff on the market but they have an advantage where it counts & thats in performance. This setup would run you around the $1K mark but it still has flaws if your wanting to get serious with your suspension. The only way to have a proper setup in a 2g is to isolate the spring. This would probably run you around $1600-1800 though.

If your just looking for a cheap coilover setup I would probably choose the Megan setup over the tein basics just because with the megans, the ride height is adjustable via the body of the shock and not just by the spring perches. This will allow you to preload the springs with the perches if need be and properly corner balance the car while your initial ride height setup can be set with the actual length of the shock body. This also means that you won't lose shock travel due to the perches being bottomed out.

Ah, that's probably why I've never had any issues or complaints about mine.
They don't see any serious track time or anything, just driven on the street.

Ah, that's probably why I've never had any issues or complaints about mine.
They don't see any serious track time or anything, just driven on the street.

For the majority of users on this forum, even though most of the suspension setups out there for our cars are "junk", they'll still do the trick for what people use them for. Thats why its important to state how "serious" you are when looking for advise on a suspension setup.

I previously ran a Tokico Illumina shock/spring combo. While I had no complaints with the setup I know its defently not a be all, end all suspension setup. But mine is a daily summer street car, so I didn't typically find the limits. I know the spring rates were much too low (but worked okay for a street car) & I believe the shocks dyno not too bad but they are one of the ones that overheat much too quickly, giving you inconsistant results.

Now that I have a proper setup that isolates the spring, yes the car most defently handles better but I don't have a real back to back comparison as I swapped the car from fwd to awd at the same time.

So then would the bc racing coilovers fall under the category of "junk"?

Same factory as K-Sport, Megan, etc. Their warranty is pretty enticing out of the off-the-shelf group.

So then would the bc racing coilovers fall under the category of "junk"?

I believe according to one of the guys who knows the most on our setups (DG, Dennis Grant), that BC were listed as part of the junk list. I believe they may be better then some of the other options out there but cannot confim. He has tested just about every setup out there (& yes has a shock dyno) but for legal reasons, obviously he can't come right out & list all the details.

Again, depending on your setup/needs they may be fine for you. Believe they can also be rebuild in the US, which would defently be a plus, if ever needed.

He has tested just about every setup out there (& yes has a shock dyno) but for legal reasons, obviously he can't come right out & list all the details.

Hmm, one can't buy a product, test it, and make the public aware of the results, anymore?

Suspension doesn't kill the inside of tires (unless for some strange reason your current suspension is physically rubbing the tire). If your just talking uneven tire wear, thats alignment related, not suspension related. If your cars been professionally aligned & you still have the issue, I'd be looking elsewhere for another alignment. quote

it was aligned buy three different places any the only thing that they could say would cause it was when i pull out because the read springs in my car are factory LOL. i dont know the truth to the but it does squat quite a bit just driving around

Sounds like you may have toe issues with all that squatting. What's the toe on the alignment sheet?

i cant remember exactly but it was in specks but they couldn't adjust it any more it was adjusted all the way out i dont have the paper work with me to say exactly what it was

i know i need new spring the back of my car sets about 3/4 of a inch lower than the front.

Later on I'm thinking about buying Megan Coil overs, My friend got some for his s2000 and are very sweet..when it come in choosing brands its really up to you on what to buy..they all work really well...
Unless its from eBay..LOL

You should not post something like that without doing your homework. This very thread will tell you that not all coilovers are on the same level, and even more to the point, people have had good luck with coilovers bought off of Ebay (Ebay doesn't make products, but does sell everything from paperweights to high-end stuff) with proper springs added into the mix.

so then what are decent coilover or spring shock combo for a daily driver and sometimes track driven car? I am looking for the ride to be nice on the street but a little firm on the track to help with better times. I have a gst so traction counts. ha. I plan to have about 340 hp in the future, but want a good suspension setup that id buy now. Also, do i have to change out the camber kits i have on my car with the new setup r can i keep this. Sorry, i dont have a clue with suspension.

I own the megan street series coilovers and haven't had any issue with them. I daily drive my car, do auto cross and drag. They have helped out quite a bit with all of these aspects and ride quite smooth for the usual drive. For the price I highly recommend them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back