The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

421104616_401850375642429_8146034065608640946_n.jpg

91 Talon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owned the car since March of 2024
As of 06/16/2024 I've replaced/installed
Link G4x
Walbro 450
PTE 1200cc
Radium fuel rail
Adjustable FPR
Solid Drive Shaft Carrier Bearing Support Bushings
Mac boost solenoid
Led headlights
Ebay stage 4 clutch

Plans for July 2024
Flex fuel
3 inch exhaust
Tial Bov
Tubular subframe

448134522_1118228842588856_7018820934279473772_n.jpg
442498894_1013724216943597_4354188456048872995_n.jpg

Attachments

This weekend plan is to install budget BBK.
accel decell.png
1000000768.jpg

Calipers - 3312255156367493, 3312255156367483
Caliper crossover line - BM42-CT (Only need if your calipers did not come with)
Caliper bolts - M12-1.75 x 35mm and M12 lock washers
Rotors - BENDIX PRT5271 (x2)
Pads with hardware - DYNAMIC FRICTION 1310100107
Brake line - Evo 8-9 front braided line (Paid $60 on ebay so no part #)
RTM spacer and shim - 1K-RTM-8120
Dot 3/4 brake fluid

Last edited:
Update on the Taiwan 60-1 turbo

Edit 07/22/24 will reinstall turbo and increase wastegate spring preload.
  • Got everything installed and it refuses to boost past 17psi.
    Even went as far as removing the boost source to the wastegate, still only made 17psi and was laggy as hell.
  • Pulled the turbo off the car and leak tested just the turbo.
  • Plugged the compressor outlet and used the compressor inlet for my boost tester.
  • Found a LARGE amount of air leaking in the oil drain and oil feed (Little air is normal)
  • With my compressor regulator at 40psi the turbo wouldn't hold 20psi.
  • Reached out to Kinuguawa hopefully I can get a replacement in
    • For now Big 16g is back on the car

Last edited:
Turbo is actually good.
I messed up the wastegate preload when I had to reclock the turbo to properly fit.
Good!
The wastegate actuator on those looks like it should be way cooler than what we usually get with internal wastegate turbos. Has interchangeable springs, 1 bar the default. Has 2 ports like an external wastegate does. Or does it have just one port?

Good!
The wastegate actuator on those looks like it should be way cooler than what we usually get with internal wastegate turbos. Has interchangeable springs, 1 bar the default. Has 2 ports like an external wastegate does. Or does it have just one port?
Has 2 ports, but comes with the lower port blocked off with a bolt.

Has 2 ports, but comes with the lower port blocked off with a bolt.
I wonder if that lower port is usable, if all it needs is the bolt taken out and a hose fitting put in? I was on their site looking at the wastegate "Spare Parts - Adjustable Actuators - Universal Type" page and they showed some with 2 ports and some with 1. And they showed Big Head and Normal Head versions. Your MAC solenoid, if you use it as a 3-port solenoid the same way that you would with an external wastegate, then I think you'd want a 2-port actuator. I get a little fuzzy on this subject when thinking about an internal wastegate because the actuator ports are kind of turned around from how they are on an external gate. Anyway, do you have it all figured out how you are going to hook up the solenoid to the actuator? Does Kinugawa have a web page or a pdf that shows their recommended setup?

I wonder if that lower port is usable, if all it needs is the bolt taken out and a hose fitting put in? I was on their site looking at the wastegate "Spare Parts - Adjustable Actuators - Universal Type" page and they showed some with 2 ports and some with 1. And they showed Big Head and Normal Head versions. Your MAC solenoid, if you use it as a 3-port solenoid the same way that you would with an external wastegate, then I think you'd want a 2-port actuator. I get a little fuzzy on this subject when thinking about an internal wastegate because the actuator ports are kind of turned around from how they are on an external gate. Anyway, do you have it all figured out how you are going to hook up the solenoid to the actuator? Does Kinugawa have a web page or a pdf that shows their recommended setup?
Vacuum fitting thread pitch is M6x1.0(On the wastegate)
The 1 port and 2 port is the same wastegate just they installed the vacuum nipple and charge like $50 more.
I have it hooked like this
1721848352334.png

This configuration allows you to run about 1.8-2x spring pressure at 100% duty cycle

Last edited:
I have it hooked like this
Good, thanks for posting that pic of the plumbing. That is about a 1000% better drawing than the crappy one that AEM has in their pdf for their boost controller and their solenoid. Wow. So I'm going to save a copy of this one.
AEM numbers their solenoid ports the same way and they show the same configuration. They just don't do a very good job of drawing it.
One thing OK in the AEM pdf is their wording for how the solenoid ports are connected internally. I'm sure yours would be the same. They say:
"When energized, ports 1 & 2 are connected. When de-energized, ports 2 & 3 are connected."
So basically, when it's energized, it lets air bleed out through port 1 to de-pressurize the actuator, and that's how you get max boost in this configuration.

I did a "search image with google" on the plumbing pic and found it as a post by Adam@Link_ECU. So kudos for the good drawing would go I guess to Link rather than Kinugawa?

Last edited:
Good, thanks for posting that pic of the plumbing. That is about a 1000% better drawing than the crappy one that AEM has in their pdf for their boost controller and their solenoid. Wow. So I'm going to save a copy of this one.
AEM numbers their solenoid ports the same way and they show the same configuration. They just don't do a very good job of drawing it.
One thing OK in the AEM pdf is their wording for how the solenoid ports are connected internally. I'm sure yours would be the same. They say:
"When energized, ports 1 & 2 are connected. When de-energized, ports 2 & 3 are connected."
So basically, when it's energized, it lets air bleed out through port 1 to de-pressurize the actuator, and that's how you get max boost in this configuration.

I did a "search image with google" on the plumbing pic and found it as a post by Adam@Link_ECU. So kudos for the good drawing would go I guess to Link rather than Kinugawa?
Yes that picture can be found in the link software.
Turbo smart actually has the best diagrams for all different setups if you wanted to see how a dual port internal wastegate is plumbed

Turbo smart actually has the best diagrams for all different setups if you wanted to see how a dual port internal wastegate is plumbed

I'm going to go ahead and post that since it took me a few minutes to find a good copy of it.
It's just the same configuration as it would be to an external wastegate except that it's reversed as far as what goes to the "upper" and "lower" ports.
Turbosmart - plumbing a dual port internal wastegate actuator to a 3-port solenoid valve - img_20:
(this is from their install instructions for the internal wastegate actuator IWG75)

Turbosmart - plumbing a dual port internal wastegate actuator to a 3-port solenoid valve - img...png

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

• For sale Fuel Parts - BRAND NEW (Fuelab, Walbro, Flex Fuel)
    E85 flex fuel conversion kit - designed for 16g or smaller turbo (BRAND NEW NEVER INSTALLED...
    • LongCucumber
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • Wanted 2g Hahn Racecraft 2g smic
    looking to upgrade to a bigger side mount intercooler for my 2gb
    • dschutt84
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale PTP turbo blanket
    PTP turbo blanket for any DSM hot side turbos only ran for 1,000 miles on my FP Red. $125 shipped
    • DSMinAK
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale Valve cover
    Ion good working condition
    • Igotadsm
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 4G63 Auto Boostin transfer case stage 2
    Auto Boostin transfer case stage 2 300m with magnus side cover 91-96 gear ratio autoI take...
    • Dsm_canadian_mike
    • Updated:
    • Expires
Back