The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Speaker Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris97pittman

15+ Year Contributor
May 10, 2004
Bellingham, Washington
Okay, I was wondering what some really nice speakers are out there or what you guys have for set ups because I don't want a gigantic 200 lb box in the back of my car but I don't want my music to sound like crap either, any good speaker suggestions?

Keep this in mind when thinking about your audio equipment.

Component Speakers = 97% of what you hear.
Subwoofer = 3% of what you hear.

Where do you want your money spent?:cool:

CDT component speakers CL-62's or better. ~100watt RMS 4ohm each.
Soundstream Van Gogh 2 ch. amp rated at 100 watts RMS 4ohm for each channel.

= $300 - $400

and everyone under the sun has a theory on subs/amps etc.. so I won't go into it.
I'll say this though - When I get mine I'll be getting a single 10" woofer in a SEALED box. (accuracy > volume)
:rocks:

PieEyedPiper said:

Where do you want your money spent?:cool:

= $300 - $400

and everyone under the sun has a theory on subs/amps etc.. so I won't go into it.
I'll say this though - When I get mine I'll be getting a single 10" woofer in a SEALED box. (accuracy > volume)
:rocks:

nicely said.

you dont need anymore than one 10'' (maybe 12'') just make sure you do it right and match max watts with the amp you buy. also make sure you have good wires 4-6 gauge will supply enough power for what you are looking for

i wouldnt get any sub under 400 watts rms, just go to a local shop and ask someone who works there and im sure they will point you in the right direction

im not too sure in the u.s, but here JBL is good quality but you pay top $
i can name many names but it all depends on what you are going for

Where do you want your money spent?

= $300 - $400

Exactly. A good site to check out is www.audiobahn.com they have a lot of nice speakers, amps, components, wiring kits, and enclosures. That is where I am getting all my stuff. Just another place you can look and see which brand you like.

its definitely not true that you need a sub with at least 400 watts. I had 2 Kicker 10" C10's and they only put out 150watts rms each and they sounded really good.

This is what I have:
1) Pioneer DEH-P860MP - 22 x 4 RMS W
2) Alpine Type S 6 1/2" components - rated at 50 RMS W
3) Alpine Type S 6x9" speakers - rated at 100 RMS W
4) Alpine MRD-M605 Mono Class D amp - 600 RMS W x 1 @ 2 ohms
5) 2 x Polk Momo MM2124 SVC subs - 400 RMS watts each
6) 4 gauge wiring to amp - no cap.

The subs are WAY too loud, but they are clear and they pound. My volume goes up to 40 but a comfortable level is 20. I have my volume up to 30 the first week I installed my subs and my ears hurt for a week. Now I'm down to 20. My CD player has 6 volt preamp outputs, low/high pass crossovers, time alignment, 13 band equalizer, BBE processing and a lot of other stuff.

PyedEyepiper is a pimp.

Where do you want your money spent?

= $300 - $400

I rock some 6.5 CDT components in my SVX with an old school Hifonics 100x2 at 4ohms RMS amp. They are clean as hell and provide excellent response.

I also rock a single 12 inch old school Elemental Designs (www.edesignaudio.com for those of you not "in the know":p ) A series dual 2 ohm voice coil sub in a 1 cubic ft sealed box with a 1500x1 at 1 ohm Hifonics monoblock amp.

That's all well and good... but here is something you probably don't know: It is ALL about the EQ, time delay, sound enhancement, and Crossovers. When I reset my battery and my HU loses all of it's settings, my stereo sounds like crap. As soon as I re-load all of my settings, sounds better than any other car I've been in. This includes tweeter custom setup cars, show cars, etc. (Go Alpine and their I-personalize online settings format ish... All i have to do is go online, download my settings and burn them onto an MP3 cd, and then load them into the HU. Tis sweet.

I bought the highest end alpine headunit about 3-4 years ago, the 9815. Audio settings are KEY in headunits.

When all was said and done, I spent aboug 1200$ for the speakers, sub, two amps, headunit, wiring, CIRCUIT BREAKER (eff fuses), and installed it myself.

That is about half the cost of all of my components at retail/normal store prices LOL

I installed everything myself too. That is the only way to go if you want to save some money. The CD player that I have has a microphone and auto EQ and auto TA. I haven't set it up yet, but I'm curious to see how it sounds after I set it all up.

drivemusicnow said:
When all was said and done, I spent aboug 1200$ for the speakers, sub, two amps, headunit, wiring, CIRCUIT BREAKER (eff fuses), and installed it myself.
I had a local shop guy tell me that circuit breakers lose their rating everytime they trip. So if you have a 80 amp breaker and it trips 10 times, it is now a 70 amp breaker. WTF Is there any truth to this? :confused:

EDIT: I can't spell.

DGajre777 said:
I installed everything myself too. That is the only way to go if you want to save some money. The CD player that I have has a microphone and auto EQ and auto TA. I haven't set it up yet, but I'm curious to see how it sounds after I set it all up.

I had a local shop guy tell me that circuit breakers loose their rating everytime they trip. So if you have a 80 amp breaker and it trips 10 times, it is now a 70 amp breaker. WTF Is there any truth to this? :confused:

I've never heard of that... All of the serious audio guys use circuit breakers. I use a 140amp circuit breaker on my car. I can't imagine that being true though, as home circuits are all breakers, and some of those are rated at a fairly small amperage... looking at the design of a circuit breaker, I can't imagine how it would change in rating...:confused:

it's true to a point. circuit breakers lose their effectiveness each time they trip, but its not necessarily 1 amp per time. it could be as little at .05% each time so it's not like they die quickly.

to the original poster:
i have a pair of 6.5 blaupunkt components(cheap water resistent ones) getting 75wrms,
2 JBL 937 6x9's getting about 150wrms
both of those are being fed by an audiobahn 6004V
plus a 12" kicker L7 in a large ported box, powered by an audiobahn A8000T

EQ is amazingly good with the ported L7 and i definitely think it compares to many sealed enclosures on the quality. it is a bit much for the average person though as it can drown the other speakers if not set up properly. JBL 6x9's are also amazing and the same with the cheap Blaupunkt components.

any questions just let me know.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back