The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Speaker polarity/ component question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmakado

15+ Year Contributor
May 7, 2004
Capistrano Beach, California
Well I'm installing a Boston Accoustics Pro Series 6.5X component setup right now and have a couple questions.
1. How do I determine the polarity of the speakers? They are not marked on either the tweeter or the mid. I read that you can "pop" the speaker by connecting it to a 9v battery and when the speaker pops out you have it correct. Is this the best way?
2. I was just going to run the crossover off of the door wiring and not use the wiring from the stock tweeter location at all. Is this okay?
3. Where is the best place to mount the crossover? I was thinking of doing it behind the mid IN the door. Any better ideas?
4. How do I determine the polarity of the factory wires running to the door speaker that I am going to run to the crossover. Is there a way to do this without the head being attached?
Sorry that these are total newb. questions but when it comes to audio I am a total newb.

where are you placing the tweeters?
OEM location (put the x overs under the passenger seat to use existing tweeter wire) or
in the door itself (put them in the door)

IF you want the easiest way to determine the speaker polarity in the door,
dont worry about it! hook up the speakers and then back up the wire at the x over check it with a battery, (drill battery 9v d cell whatever) and connect as needed.

IF you would like the wire colors I posted those in the tech article section (interior exterior) whenI did the vfaq on bypassing the amp for 97+ infinity systems and keeping the factory tweeter/tweeter location.

feel free to pm me or email me with any questions

I am mounting the tweeters in the little panel just inside of my rearview mirrors. Thanks for the idea on checking the wire polarity with the crossover. Also, I have all non-factory wiring in the car so I couldn't go off of the wire colors that you had listed. Thanks again.

no problem... just check `em b4 you put the door panel back on... and having a helper really helps... (man that's redundant isn't it?)

Well I finally got er' done. Thanks for the help and good advice!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back