The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Radiator hose pushing out second gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtbike29

Proven Member
Mar 10, 2024
Surrey, BC_Canada
I went to drive the car for the first time today and everything was good until I tried to shift to second any one have a solution for rerouting the lower hose away from the shifter linkage
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Seems like a 6-bolt 2g problem. Recently swapped to HPS silicone hoses and had the same issue... I could still shift most gears but reverse and I think it was 2nd gear was a problem too. I went back to my old Samco hoses I previously had.. Now I shift with no problem but i think its still getting hit just a little bit and causing a slight leak. Surprised i didnt have this issue for the 12 years that I had the samco hoses on the first time, so trying to see if theres something i did different when reinstalling them. The Samco hoses take a slightly different route with a sharper bend downward. Seems some hoses are okay and others are not. But looking at some of the other threads on this, some people are saying that a 1G lower hose is a better fit which could be the reason why I have 1 set that fits pretty well and another one that causes isses.

Last edited:
Seems like a 6-bolt 2g problem. Recently swapped to HPS silicone hoses and had the same issue... I could still shift most gears but reverse and I think it was 2nd gear was a problem too. I went back to my old Samco hoses I previously had.. Now I shift with no problem but i think its still getting hit just a little bit and causing a slight leak. Surprised i didnt have this issue for the 12 years that I had the samco hoses on the first time, so trying to see if theres something i did different when reinstalling them. The Samco hoses take a slightly different route with a sharper bend downward. Seems some hoses are okay and others are not. But looking at some of the other threads on this, some people are saying that a 1G lower hose is a better fit which could be the reason why I have 1 set that fits pretty well and another one that causes isses.
Cut the weight off with a grinder that’s what the guys in my area just told me 1g and evo don’t have the weight on the shifter it won’t affect anything I will be doing it tomorrow will post an updated tomorrow night

Cut the weight off with a grinder that’s what the guys in my area just told me 1g and evo don’t have the weight on the shifter it won’t affect anything I will be doing it tomorrow will post an updated tomorrow night
Silly me, mustve had too many beers tonight.. My problem is something different. Just went out and looked at my car, my counterweight was cut when the engine was installed years ago. I understand what youre saying now. For me, there was still a difference between the hoses tho and some people may still run into it even with the weight cut..The HPS hose that i switched was taking a higher route and getting right in the way of the shift cable. In the picture, you can see where this hose doesnt even come close..

Last edited:
Silly me, mustve had too many beers tonight.. My problem is something different. Just went out and looked at my car, my counterweight was cut when the engine was installed years ago. I understand what youre saying now. For me, there was still a difference between the hoses tho and some people may still run into it even with the weight cut..The HPS hose that i switched was taking a higher route and getting right in the way of the shift cable. In the picture, you can see where this hose doesnt even come close..

Do you think it affects how well it stay in gear with it cut off or does it work like normal

No issues whatsoever. I didnt do the swap myself, so I had no idea it was cut or that it even mattered. Ive had this engine 12 years. No shifting problems until the hose swap.
I did it here’s the before and after used a bmw 90 degree pipe I had original pipe a 1 3/8 pipe to join them and bolted it up works perfectly

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back