The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

1G Parking brake seized, how to get cam out of seat? Pic included*

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewbuddy

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 19, 2011
edmonton, AB, Canada
I'm attempting to free up parking brake and could use some advice. Found this image when searching forums, explanation of how it works but not how to take it apart. I've gotten nut and washer off (bottom row of pic). Halted because of rain.

My question is how to get the cam out to clean it up. My assumption is to collapse the caliper piston and it will come out? Haven't really gotten that far cause of weather.

Advice, instruction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
I'm attempting to free up parking brake and could use some advice. Found this image when searching forums, explanation of how it works but not how to take it apart. I've gotten nut and washer off(bottom row of pic). Halted because of rain.
My question is how to get the cam out to clean it up. My assumption is to collapse the caliper piston and it will come out? Haven't really gotten that far cause of weather.
Advice, instruction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Or is it get a new/rebuilt caliper thing

This is the page from the factory service manual that shows the order in which to remove the parts. Piston will have to come out to remove the spindle lever (#19).

Attachments

First you have to wind the piston out, then you can reach inside and try to remove the c-clip #11 to pull the auto adjuster and spring assembly out. Then you can remove the spindle lever #19 out.

Hopefully you won't find it and the needle bearing assembly (not shown) rusted like I did.

Attachments

Sorry for the delayed response. Thanks for the info.

Have a question, can't find a definitive part # for the seal kit to rebuild original caliper. Got a couple D351212 (Dorman) kits for a few bucks but not positive if these are correct, going to attempt the rebuild of original calipers. Your not kidding Drewpy Dawn, driver side remans are in abundance, but passenger side next to nothing. Not even a NAPA buddy or my service advisor nephew. I found one, and only one, passenger side and brand wise mismatched from each other. But pure luck I found one. Thanks again

If there's a part # floating around for seal kit, that would be appreciated

Correction, opened box and part# on bag for seal kit is 15090k, seems there is a extra o-ring in there which makes me question if it's correct.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

• For sale 6 bolt short block .020 Wiseco/Crower rods
    6bolt .020 over, Wiseco pistons Crower rods
    • ky90gsx
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • Wanted 1g looking for 91+ eprom ecu dsm 4g63
    looking for 91+ eprom ecu dsm 4g63
    • Elpizer2
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 2g Rix Racing Tune
    Selling a remote tune for Rix Racing that I had purchased for ECMLink but ultimately wasn’t able...
    • Bedicine
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 1gb crystal clear corner lights NOS
    Have an unopened Nos set of 1gb crystal clear corner lights $180
    • Syclone#334
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 1g Dejon tool intake
    1g Dsm old school Dejon tool intake very nice condition with K&N filter
    • Syclone#334
    • Updated: