The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

2G Need new gas tank or fuel cell

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GacVs

Probationary Member
Apr 23, 2024
Fort Bragg, North Carolina
I bought a 99 gsx had it shipped to me, long story short there was a hole in my gas tank. So now I’m looking for a new one or any recommendations for fuel cells.

ok so i need to put in a fuel cell i have a bad gas tank and its a hassle to find a 99gsx fuel tank. For this project the car already has 6AN lines in the car but i dont mind replacing them anyways. I want a 15-20 gallon cell i was looking at this one -> https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/15397/10002/-1

and then i have heard a surge tank is a good idea this is the one ive been looking at -> https://www.radiumauto.com/FST-Fuel-Surge-Tank-Single-Pump-P515.aspx

now im going to need 2 fuel pumps one for the surge tank and one for the fuel cell. This is my first time trying to install a fuel cell and surge tank. I need help with getting all the right parts together what fuel pumps to use what fittings and hoses etc. I want to do this right i have a $2500 budget for this and that should be plenty.

if you know of a thread that has all this info post it plz ive been looking for a little while now.

also i should mention for ease of install this will go where the spare tire goes

alright i nixxed the surge tank for now till i can get an upgraded alternator but i have the Archer Fabrications spare tire delete panel oredered, a 15 gallon fuel cell, 1 420lph inline fuel pump, 1 10 micron fuel filter and 1 100 micron fuel filter, and about 30ft of braided hose, within the next two weeks it will be here and i will begin the work.

Alright here’s another update got almost everything in waiting on the spare tire delete panel the 100 micron fuel filter and a couple AN fittings. That being said does anyone have any advice on how to wire the fuel pump, I did get a 420lph fuel pump and from research I saw the stock was 255lph. I do have an aftermarket regulator so if it’s not that big of a deal I’ll just adjust the regulator.

Here’s the fuel cell in the trunk

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Alright here’s another update got almost everything in waiting on the spare tire delete panel the 100 micron fuel filter and a couple AN fittings. That being said does anyone have any advice on how to wire the fuel pump, I did get a 420lph fuel pump and from research I saw the stock was 255lph. I do have an aftermarket regulator so if it’s not that big of a deal I’ll just adjust the regulator.

Here’s the fuel cell in the trunk

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
That tank vents thru the cap. Your car will stink like gas all the time.

As far as the wiring you should just be able to just use the wiring from the old pump and extend the wires to where you mount the pump at.
With an external pump mount it outside to cut down on noise. Most high flow external pumps are extremely loud.

For a street car I would stick to an OEM tank. 95-99 the tanks are the same, it's just the ports on the sending units that vary.

With the cell filling will be a pain and as mentioned, you will smell the fuel. I'm sure Rix Racing or Performance partout must have an oem tank in stock.

Since youre in North Carolina, you might want to check out Stevie @ Kannapolis Auto Parts. Might be a hike from you but still close enough to be worth it for a gas tank. He has a lot of DSMs to part out and i doubt that gas tanks are a hot item, so probably has quite a few if you have a way to go pick it up. I usually hit him up on Facebook as Stevie Miller, usually responds within an hour or two but here is the website also https://autoimportskannapolis.com/ .
Just throwing that out there because trying to find a DSM in a junkyard is tough.

That tank vents thru the cap. Your car will stink like gas all the time.

As far as the wiring you should just be able to just use the wiring from the old pump and extend the wires to where you mount the pump at.
With an external pump mount it outside to cut down on noise. Most high flow external pumps are extremely loud.
The tank has a separate vent behind the cap I was planning on trying to fab some type of rubber hose to put through the delete panel so it vented outside but this fuel cell won’t be in here forever. I plan on trying to fabricate an under mount one eventually.

The fuel pump will be mounted outside and should be relatively quiet bc I’m going to be using silicon to seal the delete panel and the fuel cell to the outside to try to cut down from noise.

For the wiring thank you my fuel pump only has a positive and a negative, it will be good just to splice into the old ones wires and hook it up directly or will I need a relay or a switch so it doesn’t constantly run even when the car is off?

The tank has a separate vent behind the cap I was planning on trying to fab some type of rubber hose to put through the delete panel so it vented outside but this fuel cell won’t be in here forever. I plan on trying to fabricate an under mount one eventually.

The fuel pump will be mounted outside and should be relatively quiet bc I’m going to be using silicon to seal the delete panel and the fuel cell to the outside to try to cut down from noise.

For the wiring thank you my fuel pump only has a positive and a negative, it will be good just to splice into the old ones wires and hook it up directly or will I need a relay or a switch so it doesn’t constantly run even when the car is off?

If you use the OEM wires and run them to your new pump it will only run when the OEM pump would run.

finding an oem gas tank isnt that hard
I checked the forums (with my limited knowledge of using the forums mostly looking up gas tank, fuel tank, for sale etc) but I couldn’t find any, I called junk yards OEM mitsu dealers that I know and some I didn’t, checked Facebook marketplace for part outs etc couldn’t find one and as I want and need the car fixed asap I opted for the fuel cell sadly I’ll have to chop the car up a little to achieve it but as I won’t ever sell the car that’s ok with me

ryan bowersox or rix racing should have one for you, if not rob figs would. they are all on the eastern side of the continent. unless its full racecar just go with oem

If you use the OEM wires and run them to your new pump it will only run when the OEM pump would run.
Alright, that shouldn’t be to hard, now as far as getting the fuel level to read on the OEM dash I have heard that’s a bit harder due to the OEM tank having 2 sending units and then reading a range of 4-107Ohm, I have thought about getting an interface module to correct it, I do also have an ECU with DSMlink I just have to install it maybe I can get that to work from the ECU? And from the driver side there was a sensor I haven’t looked up what it is yet but will it be needed?

ryan bowersox or rix racing should have one for you, if not rob figs would. they are all on the eastern side of the continent. unless its full racecar just go with oem
Well wish I could have looked a little harder and found them. Hindsight is 20/20 but I have already bought everything for the install and got most of it mocked up already

id return all that and stick oem. just do it that way trust us
Are you sure? I do plan on building this car up quite a bit, what’s so wrong about running the fuel cell? IMO and from what I’ve read they drop a little weight and can be easier to work on. If it’s actually better and there’s no reason to do it even with wanting to build the engine for 800+ then I will return all of it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back