The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

1G Fuse Burnt out for Blower motor and fan controls. (Heat, fan position and speed settings)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TannerLowders

Probationary Member
Oct 22, 2022
Saakatoon, SK, Canada
I noticed one day while idling my car I smelled smoke, coming from under the dash realizing it was the fuse for the hvac controls, all fan controls. I don’t want to hot wire it so the fans are on max or high heat 24/7. Is there a way I can hot wire this into ignition or some other? With still having controls of heat or on and off for fan blowing. Any suggestions thank you.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
That shouldn't have happened. Fuse should blow. My guess is previous owner kept upping fuse size. You need to trace that circuit and find where it shorted. Check the fuse that blew and see if it was proper size.

Looks like you have a few "extra" fuses and different values in yours. Some might be due to it being a Canada car.

Attachments

Looks like you have a few "extra" fuses and different values in yours. Some might be due to it being a Canada car.

okay right… well I’m not sure what size the fuse was in it. I wasn’t the one to remove to see which size. I’m thinking maybe I can tap in the power to an inline fuse and ground wherever. Like you guys are saying, shouldn’t have blown in the first place. If anyone has a pin diagram or color code so I can trade the 8pin fan controls back?

I also could trace it completely back through the car. Only problem right is I don’t know which wires are which for power, ground, control that whole shabang, I’ll trace it, resplice. Just wanna make sure I’m gonna do it to the right colored wires

okay so I guess I see what I’m seeing. Unless I’m completely wrong. Highlighted red is the route of hvac controls to ignition. So there should be a short from fuse, to ignition ur thinking? Also if it’s just blue and black going from box to ign, that would be ground you’d think. I believe it says that’s pin 3? And pin 2 for ign? I’m not the best at reading these sorry.

Attachments

The relays under the hood all have power. Fuse is melted into the fuse box that controls h vac controls. I want to tap it into ign power wire though if it melted it had a reason to do so. This silver thing clicks when I go to switch fan controls. I’ve taken out the resistor (not sure how to test it) and checked the relay (it click) THOUGHH. there is no power going to the relay on the fuse box (right side one) wondering how I can tap these in or if it could be the resistor and or wiring going to the fuse box.. I’ve heard it’s a white / blue wire on the back of the fuse box. Tested it and it doesn’t have power period. Any thoughts?

Hey guys, my blower motor fuse, the 10a there. I believe last owner shoved a 15 in. Melted the fuse inside the box. I want only ignition switched on power to power the blower motor. I’ve found the 12v switched power line from the ign source. Can I cut there behind the key. And tap into the power wire of fan controls. Am wondering if it will stop the ign power if the inline fuse does blow.. or is there a safer way? Just need to wire power from a 12v switched power. And then just an inline to my blower controls

Attachments

Hey guys, my blower motor fuse, the 10a there. I believe last owner shoved a 15 in. Melted the fuse inside the box. I want only ignition switched on power to power the blower motor. I’ve found the 12v switched power line from the ign source. Can I cut there behind the key. And tap into the power wire of fan controls. Am wondering if it will stop the ign power if the inline fuse does blow.. or is there a safer way? Just need to wire power from a 12v switched power. And then just an inline to my blower controls

If something melted you've probably got a good short somewhere you need to find and fix first. I would remove those wires from the back and make repairs so you can run it like factory circuit or replace that fuse box.

Last edited:
If something melted you've probably got a good shirt somewhere you need to find and fix first. I would remove those wires from the back and make repairs so you can run it like factory circuit or replace that fuse box.
yeah I understand. The wiring that goes behind the dash gets swirled into maybe 35 wire looms and I’d have to take the entire 1 piece dash out to get there? Any other ideas or I guess I’m SOL and that’s my only way?

yeah I understand. The wiring that goes behind the dash gets swirled into maybe 35 wire looms and I’d have to take the entire 1 piece dash out to get there? Any other ideas or I guess I’m SOL and that’s my only way?
you don't have to locate the short. Just find which wire is shorted and fish a new one. Don't open the harness. Or rewire the circuit as you see fit. You don't know the root cause yet. Have you tested the blower motor itself?

you don't have to locate the short. Just find which wire is shorted and fish a new one. Don't open the harness. Or rewire the circuit as you see fit. You don't know the root cause yet. Have you tested the blower motor itself?
oh okay yeah. Would rather not the dash out if not needed. Blower motor spins when powered, all relays click, (the blower motor relay only clicks when turned to speed 4) fuse is melted. No power at fan controls. How do I “chase the short” or easiest way to find it? I don’t know much about wiring my apologizes

I couldn't possibly write a tutorial on how to use a multimeter and how to read a circuit diagram. what is your skill set on electrical stuff?

I couldn't possibly write a tutorial on how to use a multimeter and how to read a circuit diagram. what is your skill set on electrical stuff?
Well tbh. It was a stupid reply from me. I’ll check for O.L and resistance between the connections. See where my voltage gets cut. I’m a heavy duty mechanic just deal with transmissions, planetarys hydraulic systems. Never really deal with this type shit. I’ll check wiring and see what I see.

you can do a google search and include the "dsmtuners" in the search and get past posts from this site. what I posted above I found from this search.
Fan only works on high dsmtuners eagle talon

BTW to get around this you may have to rewire the two wires behind the fuse box and put in an inline fuse.

Sorry to my last few posts. Realized I was on an endless chance in the wrong places.

- I’ve bought a new resistor and made sure blower spins on bench test.
- the fuse is a 10a and it will blow the fuse over and over again. Only when max speed is set on. The other 3 speeds never does. could this be the blower motor relay itself? Or where should I be looking

By the way. The pictures I have with, both click when set only on speed 4 (max) no other speeds does it click.

Attachments

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back