The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Flywheel/starter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garry’sDSM

Probationary Member
Jun 21, 2024
Stockton, California
I got power to my 98 eclipse gst and It just cranks but no start and me and my dad think it’s the starter or the flywheel, does anyone have any recommendations about how I can test the starter or check the flywheel for bald spots without having to take out the entire transmission?

You're going to have to clarify this. To most of us "cranks" means the starter is turning the motor over. Meaning it CAN'T be the starter or flywheel. Also Starts/runs means after cranking...well it runs. Whatever terms you use please be clear.

Oh my fault, I was just asking because I was talking to my dad about the problem and he said he thinks there could be a bald spot on the starter or the starter we got for the car is too small, he said it sounds like the starter isn’t engaging with the flywheel. Not sure, first project car

No we’ve never put a new flywheel in it, however we have replaced the starter and it was parked outside under a cover for a decade or so at my grandpas house but before my dad stopped driving it, it worked completely fine. And just a few days ago we got power to the car by replacing ground wires and both battery terminals. And we obd scanned the car and it read 0 codes wrong, so honestly we’re lost.

replaced the started recently? If so it's likely the wrong starter. Also check there is a large ground wire usually on the top transmission bolt but some folks put it on the starter bolt. Omit this accidently and it causes problems.

I have to ask also. The car has a fresh battery in it?

I moved the ground wire connecter from the bolt on the bottom, to the one on the top and now it’s not making any noise, whereas when it was on the bottom it was giving some noise.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
This is the noise the car is making after I switched the location of the battery ground wire to the top bolt of the starter, it sounds like it wants to start up but it won’t.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back