The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Awful semester so far...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tehstevo

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 28, 2006
Irwin, Pennsylvania
So far this semester has been awful for my DSM experience. About 2 weeks into the start of the semester my transmission breaks and locks up. I get it to towed to a transmission shop off campus to sit until I decide if I want to have them repair it, sell it, or repair it myself. :cry:

After almost selling it, I decide to repair it myself (have a very busy semester and no garage to do the work in so I figure having someone else do it would be easier). The transmission comes in last Wednesday but I'm too busy w/ a project for class that I didn't have time to open it. I open it Thursday night to find a chunk of the bellhousing and been busted off and there were cracks and broken spots everywhere, it was obviously dropped numerous times. So now I have to ship it back so they can inspect it and decide who was at fault and possibly reimburse me.:mad:

Saturday I go to my car (after having not been to the garage see it in 3 weeks) and see that it isn't there. I assume that the garage moved it since it's been sitting there for a month. I called the garage today to see where it went. Their reply, "we thought you sold it, we haven't seen it in a month." Yes, that's right. My car was stolen, apparently about a week after I was last there. No one is sure, they hadn't really paid attention. :sosad:

So now I sit, midterms, down a DSM, and down $400 on a tranny. On the plus side, spring break is in 2 weeks and I have a lot of good friends on my side. :rocks::talon:

OMG. If a shop lost my car, there would be hell to pay.

Any advice on getting some justice? How do I go about getting the shop to take responsibility? They said that they take no responsibility of cars parked there, but I was not informed that when I had the car towed there and talked to the mechanics. They have no signs for it either.

They also have a sign saying they have video surveillance so I asked about the cameras, which they actually don't have either. The mechanics only have a ballpark time frame of when the car was stolen too, about a week after I was last there (1/28).

They have my spare key and the service order still. So they do have a paper record that my car was brought there to be serviced. And they have the broken glass from my window that was busted out. The transmission was completely locked and the wheels did not roll, so it had to be taken by flatbed. The part of town is also relatively quiet and secluded, so its not a highly populated/trafficked area, so I'm hoping it's still local. Though at this point, I'm assuming the car was parted out so I'm just seeking some form of reimbursement.

Anyone have any thoughts?

hat just screams inside job. Your tranny was locked and it didn't roll? Not everyone has a flatbed with a winch that can pull a 3,000 lb + vehicle. And I'd assume no other shop is stupid enough to drive their flatbed over to that place and steal your car. I'd head straight to small claims court, and call the police.

Whoa. Crazy shit right there. If its on their property and they are servicing it, it is most def. their fault. Rossb is right, i think its inside. The only thing holding that back, is the fact that they broke the window. If it was inside, they would have just used your key. Def. get your parents to get a GOOD lawyer. They will have hell to pay i hope. I feel for you man. I hope something good comes out of this mess.

James :laser::talon:

Hopefully at this point you've made a police report. Next you should also-

Get the BBB involved along with your state's attorney general offices and consumer affairs.

Make the situation known to your town government. They may have regulations in place in regards to repair shop operations. If anything, code enforcement might have a field day. I know every locale is different, but it's worth a shot.

Get a lawyer

Also get all of the paperwork from the shop proving the car was there, if they destroy it then they can say the car was never there.

How did they assume you sold it if they have the broken glass from your car? BULLSHIT

We've had snow on-and-off for the past few weeks. They probably didn't notice it because it was covered in snow until recently.

I'm going to call the officer I spoke to yesterday today after class to see if he was able to get them to talk more because all they told me was "it's not our responsibility." Some business, go to get a tranny replaced, lose your car LOL.

In the mean time I'm going to see what else I can find out about the local laws.

If anyone near the Erie, PA area sees/knows of/attempts to buy/etc a nearly mint 100% rust free stock (except the exhaust) tan 1g let me know. :)

Holy shit did I just noticed you live about 10 minutes from me in Irwin. Where you going to school at?

We've had snow on-and-off for the past few weeks. They probably didn't notice it because it was covered in snow until recently.

I'm going to call the officer I spoke to yesterday today after class to see if he was able to get them to talk more because all they told me was "it's not our responsibility." Some business, go to get a tranny replaced, lose your car LOL.

In the mean time I'm going to see what else I can find out about the local laws.

If anyone near the Erie, PA area sees/knows of/attempts to buy/etc a nearly mint 100% rust free stock (except the exhaust) tan 1g let me know. :)

I'd hate to say it and hopefully I'm not jinxing you either, but make some calls to local scrap yards/metal recyclers. Call the local tow companies too to see if any were called to pickup the car. It's becoming common for thieves to offload cars at these places for the quick cash. It became such a problem at a yard near me that they started requiring titles brought in with the vehicles and copies of your ID.

My car is behind locked gates in my college auto shop...with its own camera keeping an eye on it. My teacher was anal about me bringing it in to work on for a semester project afraid of something like what happened to you...would take place. That sucks to hear about that. I don't feel as bad anymore for pruchasing a bad head and having to buy another one.

I'm going to school at Penn State Behrend.

Ya I'm hoping to find time this week (2 exams and 2 projects due though) to call around to see if anyone knows anything. Hopefully I can find some time soon.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back