The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1G AWD fuel sender solution!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewpy Dawg

15+ Year Contributor
May 18, 2008
Sachse, Texas
I recently cleaned out my fuel tank after it sat for 20 years with a few gallons of old gas in it. It looked like a serious mess at first and I thought I was going to need a new fuel sending unit at the very least. Fortunately for me I was able to save my sender and get it working properly. (I can make another post about what I did to save mine that may be helpful to others if anyone is interested.) Even really nasty looking ones may not need to be replaced. However, if you really do need a replacement there is the issue of finding a good used one and what it will cost.

I figured there must be another car that uses a sender that might work for us with some modifications. Denso made our OE senders, and senders for many other Japanese cars. After some searching I found that mid-80s Toyota Corollas have a sender that looks nearly identical to ours. The top plate is completely different, but the most important part for our purposes is the variable resistor. The Corolla sending units are available cheap on eBay (albeit aftermarket Chinese made copies, not original Densos) so I spent $20 on one to experiment with. Here's what I found.

The housing of the variable resistor is basically identical to ours. It is held to the top plate with two small spot welds, so it should be a simple matter of drilling those out and separating it. The rod holding the float is shaped slightly differently and the float sits on the opposite side of the rod from ours, but that could be massaged if necessary. It also uses the same kind of low fuel sensor that operates the dash warning light.

But will it work with our electrical system and gauge?

Fuel sender specs in the FSM
Full - 3 ohms +/- 2
Empty - 110 ohm +/- 7

My original fuel sender reads 3.4 when full and 116.3 when empty, so working properly within spec.

The Corolla replacement sender reads 5.0 when full and 110.6 when empty. Within our spec!

So we have a fuel sender that is cheap, readily available new, and works in the same electric range as our originals. No, it is not a direct replacement, nor is it a Denso unit. Some minor modifications will be necessary, but most of us have done far more complicated things on our cars many many times. Figured I would put this out there for anyone who runs into the need for a replacement sender and either can't find a good one or doesn't want to spend over $100 for a used one that's probably still rusty. Below are the pics comparing my original sender to the Corolla one and my tests with the multimeter.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Great detective work.

Is the low sensor the same length as the stock one, like it'll read fuel in the same spot in the tank?

My float arm is jacked so my fuel gauge isn't accurate so I go off of mileage and low light but I'd like to change all that if possible with a new arm etc. Thanks

The low fuel sensors look to be at slightly different lengths. I'm going to swap the sensor from the new sender onto my old one because my old sensor doesn't work. I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to achieve that but will be working on it today and I'll post if I come up with a good solution.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back