The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

wrinkle walls helping you guys out saving drivetrain?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCK90tsi

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 27, 2007
Spokangeles, Washington
Im currently running a set of nitto 555r drag radials, but I have heard bad things about drag radials destroying drivetrain. So im looking for advice on what tire I should run that will give me sidewall flex and your experience with them

It's a long standing fact/opinion (you decide) that yes wronke walls absorb driveline shock in situations where you're dumping the clutch, think of them as dampers for your drivetrain

Auto or manual trans it helps without question. We were going to try a 14" slick on Darrens car for this reason (more sidewall=more give...) but ended up going with a 15" because of the super sticky one that Hoosier makes.

Yup, It's a known fact in the RWD world that stock axles + DR's will bust sooner or later. Think about it like this, It's kinda like dumping the clutch on gravel, only to hit asphalt 2 feet later. the spin-hook is what snaps axles.

Ok thats kinda what i figured, I am running a 5spd QM twin disc, i have been looking into hoosier QTP's what size would you reccomend? 26x9.5x16? appreciate your guys input, new to posting in here and am very excited to be a part of the community! :thumb:

Its still going to lead down to how aggressive you are with your clutch peddle. I run the QTPs and still broke alot of drivetrain parts. I learned the hard way, you dont slip the clutch, shit will fling out from under it...LOL

haha ok, thanks for the heads up dave! by the way your car is amazing! love following your progress and my god 151mph trap!! :hellyeah: that is just unreal! so when you launch the car im assuming you stage, pull the staging brake preload the car and side foot it? what clutch are you running? i have always heard that you should be slipping a twin disc to avoid drivetrain destruction

haha ok, thanks for the heads up dave! by the way your car is amazing! love following your progress and my god 151mph trap!! :hellyeah: that is just unreal! so when you launch the car im assuming you stage, pull the staging brake preload the car and side foot it? what clutch are you running? i have always heard that you should be slipping a twin disc to avoid drivetrain destruction

Thanks man.. Im running the ptt twindisc, i had the qm up untill i got the dogbox.. i never side step the clutch, that will lead to broken parts in a hurry! I pull the brake to preload and then i keep the gas to the floor as i let out on the clutch slowly as the car gets moving then i release the clutch more aggressively!

+1 I slip the clutch till it starts to move then let it go. Never side step these cars. I've broken a few trans before learning that.

right on! thanks for the heads up, im hoping to have the car ready for next season and am looking to avoid as many problems as i can, by the way do you drive the car on the streets much? and may i ask what fuel your running? im really looking into E98 but theres not alot of info in my area about the matter

right on! thanks for the heads up, im hoping to have the car ready for next season and am looking to avoid as many problems as i can, by the way do you drive the car on the streets much? and may i ask what fuel your running? im really looking into E98 but theres not alot of info in my area about the matter

I dont drive mine on the streets very much, every once in a while i will feel froggy and take ot out... i plan on driving it more next year once i get this welded front diff removed from my trans, the car doesnt want to steer very well.... i run on VP q16 race fuel.

I dont drive mine on the streets very much, every once in a while i will feel froggy and take ot out... i plan on driving it more next year once i get this welded front diff removed from my trans, the car doesnt want to steer very well.... i run on VP q16 race fuel.

Lol welded diff FTW, haha I have'nt got the car running yet and its getting on my nerves.

Lol welded diff FTW, haha I have'nt got the car running yet and its getting on my nerves.

The welded center diff isnt whats bothering me, its the welded front diff that sucks, its a pain in the ass to turn the steering wheel while moving!!!

right on sir! thanks for all your input! thats another thing im contemplating is welding the diff but i want the car to be geared towards street use and see some track time, and Q16 i wish they made cologne that smelled like Q16 haha love that stuff, but not a fan of the price per gallon OMG

I have a welded center diff in my car, and my car is not lowered really. In my opinion, the RADIAL's are easyer on the car. They will spin once you apply to much or sudden power. With the welded diff, I've had no broken driveline parts accept transmissions. I have hoosier qtp's aswell. I have only launched on them once, and they have remained in the basement since. It was a feeling that made me think, "The next time I tried it, I will need a basket to pick up the pieces". I think with a twin disk, staging brake, boost controller, and some common sence will make the biggest difference in keeping drivetrain parts alive. That or own a automatic car instead. Yes, the weld diff is hard on everything else for a street car. As a race car, i'd have no complaints.

hmmm interesting see i was thinkin about just keeping the tire pressure up and rase the anti lag so it spins off the line, but im just not sure about the spin/hook on axles trans etc, i know i wouldnt be cutting great 60's but yeah im still contemplating the welded diff since, the car will be mostly street duty, but it is a fully gutted/caged car with one sparco and no heater/radio so im not worried about too much just as long as the thing can function on the street and not have too many problems

hmmm interesting see i was thinkin about just keeping the tire pressure up and rase the anti lag so it spins off the line, but im just not sure about the spin/hook on axles trans etc, i know i wouldnt be cutting great 60's but yeah im still contemplating the welded diff since, the car will be mostly street duty, but it is a fully gutted/caged car with one sparco and no heater/radio so im not worried about too much just as long as the thing can function on the street and not have too many problems

I drive my car anywhere. I commuted last year for three months from Baltimore to Gathersburg which is about 55 miles each way with the welded diff, and no power steering. My car is more of a street car, so the interior and heat has to stay. I'm a big guy, but under full power my only complaint is the car sways from left to right with the welded diff. It kind of scary, but I just respect the car as much as possiable. My car will be getting a full cage this winter.

That spin hook idea you have will break a lot of parts too.

That spin hook idea you have will break a lot of parts too.

=/ yeah thats kinda what im afraid of!

and really?! hmm that really makes me want to weld my diff haha, anyone have negative things to say about welding the diff? is it something that should make the trans stronger or weaker? id assume stronger, but you know what happens when you assume! make an ass out of you and me! :tease:

The welded center diff isnt whats bothering me, its the welded front diff that sucks, its a pain in the ass to turn the steering wheel while moving!!!

Makes it a PAIN to push it LOL. I will be running QTPs and an auto trans. Last summer used some cheepo Sumitomos and ran 1.68 60 fts.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back