The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Do you guys shift into 4th gear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlowUglyDSM

20+ Year Contributor
May 16, 2002
Grand_Rapids_MI
I was on the track for first time few weeks ago and here is my best run:

Reaction: .735
60ft: 2.468
1/4: 14.221
MPH: 103.17mph

I believe I finished the run up with 4th gear. How can I improve?

yep, I shift into 4th to, right near the end...

if you can improve on your react (get closer to .500) and 60 time, then you may see some improvement, also your launch. You could have a great reaction time and still have a horrible launch.

I ran the same time you did but my react was .674 and my 60 ft was 2.018

I have a T25 :(

By far the biggest thing you can do to improve your ET is knock about half a second off that 60'. Every tenth off the 60' is 2 tenths off the ET.
Throw on some sticky tires and launch the $hit out of it!!

The good news is that trap speed, with a sub 2.0 60' you could see low 13'/high 12's. Good luck.

Originally posted by Rx3

if you can improve on your react (get closer to .500) and 60 time, then you may see some improvement, also your launch. You could have a great reaction time and still have a horrible launch.

His reaction time isn't great, but at this time he needs to worry more about getting a good launch than hitting a good tree. RT doesn't factor into ET. He can stare at the green light for 10 seconds then run and still record the same ET. RT only really matters when you're actually racing the guy in the other lane. (i.e. heads up, brackes, etc..) Of course I know you already knew this.

Reaction time doesn't make you go faster. If you are improving on your own driving, screw the reaction and focus on the 60' and 330'. Work your launch and work your 1-2 shift. The beginning of the race, 60' and 330', is the most important part. Screw it up, get a slower time. Work it good and get a faster time.

And yes, I shift into 4th at the track.

60ft seems to be a very tricky thing. No matter how hard I launch it, it always come up with almost the same time. I can't really believe you guys can get 2.0-2.2 sec 60ft... If i launch it hard, wheel spin+wheel hop kill my time. If i launch it softer, I'll get the same time.

What kinda tires are you running? I'm running Azenis with 30psi front and 40psi rear. Anyone has experience with Azenis on the track?

I run Yokohama Avids at 40 psi (in an AWD)...I run about 14.6@90mph with 1.9xx 60'. Is it really that much harder to get a low 60' in a front wheeler?

I think the answer is "Yes" because I've tried not to think myself a crappy driver.:p

Originally posted by SlowUglyDSM

What kinda tires are you running? I'm running Azenis with 30psi front and 40psi rear. Anyone has experience with Azenis on the track?

Cheap Continentals, 25 psi all four corners. I come off the line WOT at ~6000, 6-7 psi boost. Best 60': 1.67

I need to let some air outta mine. I'm spinning too much off the line

For you fwd Id recommend lowering the pressure I iny bit to maybe like 24-26psi. If you had some nitto 555rs that will definetly help or even slicks. If you dont have much power though then the slicks will kill your top end. Consider letting a bit of air out and launching harder. The best launches I get in my FWD's, is when I spin and get hop just not enough to hit limiter but just enough so Im accelerating as fast as i can and usually end up catching right before redline and shifting very aggressivly. Im sure practice an get you some lower 2.0's. Try and record what all you do and check your tire pressure after every run. Practice will always yield better times (considering nothing breaks). Good luck... Oh nd 1.6 is very impressive 60ft 90GSX, great job!!!

I pulled a 2.167 on my Kuhmo Ecstas with the fronts at 15psi.. cant even remember how i launched the car but I havent been able to duplicate it since..

and no I dont shift into 4th.. I have a higher rev limiter and 3rd gear goes to 120some mile per hour..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back