The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Valve Cover Bolt Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inspire

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 20, 2012
757, Virginia
Ok this is a bit hard to explain and try to understand but I will make an attempt at explaining my problem. I bought a new valve cover (old one was cracked) took it into work and painted it. Turned out super nice. Bought a brand new gasket for the valve cover and proceeded to install. Got the cover on and lined up and began to put the bolts back in. I used a nut driver to do the tightening to be careful to not crack the cover like the one before (noob mistake, i knew better) I began tightening the bolts from the center diagonal. Well all of them are tight except one. Does not seem to want to line up to let me thread it in. Loosened all the bolts again started with that one and it tightened and then sequenced down the cover. Get to the last one totally opposite side and only one doesn't want to go in again.
Tried swapping bolts every which way and no matter were at on the cover there is always one bolt that will not allow me to thread it in. Looked at the bolts all of them appear to be ok. All of the bolt holes are undamaged. Is the valve cover possibly warped or am I doing something wrong when I am tightening? I started the car the one that doesn't want to go thread in is not leaking from anywhere near the bolt hole on or around the gasket. Maybe I am overlooking something just curious if anyone has had this happen before or if anyone knows ways to correct my improper mechanics. Thanks.

It's actually 2ft-lbs.

Don't tighten them all down all the way. You're pulling the valve cover away when you do that. Get them all threaded, then tighten them down.

You're using one of the shorter bolts meant for the inside area, I had that problem the first time I took mine off before I realized they were different lengths. Use one of the longer ones and it should tighten fine

Is it possible you have a valve cover from another vehicle? The Hyundai Elantra valve cover is a thicker cover that fits the DSM, but will require longer bolts than what you have.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back