The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

turbo timer question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fwd-turd

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Zanesville, Ohio
i was just wondering the purpose of a turbo timer the honest use of it im sure when someone reply's ill feel stupid LOL and i would like your guys opinion of changing to a garret t3 its a 45 trim i have it its on the car but it hasnt been ran with it yet and should i get anything to go with turbo ? boost controller? bov? anything? let me know thanks
:laser: coverted to :dsm: because all my friends thought lasers arent cool but an eclipse is hmm they have no idea

turbo timers keep the car running for a set amount of time after you shut it off. It's good for things like doing a major boost pass and then hopping out of the car at a grocery store (<3 GVR4 ;))...

I would say that they aren't *really* necessary, but they can be convenient at times.

If you have a T3 and no supporting mods (i didn't really see any in your profile) I'd look into getting some. Fuel pump, injectors, and a 2g MAF/filter are a great place to start, IMO.

slugsgomoo said:
I would say that they aren't *really* necessary, but they can be convenient at times.

i wouldnt agree with that. Its for when you are running the car hard with high boost. It allows the car to run to cool the turbo so that the oil doesnt "cake" up in the turbo. All turbocars should have a TT.

dsm4life said:
i wouldnt agree with that. Its for when you are running the car hard with high boost. It allows the car to run to cool the turbo so that the oil doesnt "cake" up in the turbo. All turbocars should have a TT.

cars running liquid cooled turbos dont really need TT's.
the oil does not "cake" up anything but It can cook the bearings.
Im only saying this because when i think of somthing being caked - its more
of a referance to sludge.

If you don't have waterlines hooked up to your turbo you should invest in a TT. If you DO have waterlines hooked up, then it's more convience. Without it and a strictly oil fed turbo you'll have to sit in your car until it's had time to cool off a couple minutes. The reasoning...? As said before by dave99gst. It can cook the bearings.

if you are driving hard enough to have the car that hot EVERY DAY on public streets.... ROFL

Honestly, driving at low RPM near your destination (or through a parking lot) and maybe 15-30 seconds in car is more than sufficient.

If you are beating on the car mercilessly, then yes you should have one. However for daily driving? It's a matter of preference.

its isnt necessary but its definatly better then sitting in your car just waiting..

its one of those cheap luxurys...for lazy people

thanks i was just wondering and the t3 is only oil so a turbo timer would be a nice thing to simpify things then so i dont forget LOL i do that alot, and what does everyone think is a good price on a greddy boost controller? the local shop that just opend wants 450 and slugsgomoo i think thats what ill start with but i was thinking the translator and a gm maf and using it as a blow through (just so i could here it go pssst) and put a filter right on the turbo, thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back