The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

To continue or get rid of it...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb talons

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 19, 2002
Latrobe, Pennsylvania
I'm at a crossroad. I really like my old talon and I want to get it back on the road as a car for my son. The main thing I need to fix now is the radiator support. I started the project and I'm a little overwhelmed by it. I don't have a ton of money into it yet, but I'm wondering if it's worth it. Almost every other bolt snapped off because of rust. I know I'll need a bunch of little things to put it all back together. Any words of wisdom or encouragement out there?

Attachments

• talon clean.jpg
    talon clean.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 128
  • talon front.jpg
    talon front.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 121
damn thats a nice car! If I was your son I.d be upset if you got rid of it. LOL It would deff be a nice car for him and he would be happy to have it I'm sure. finish it for him! Or sell it to me :D

NOT trying to be a downer BUT if you decide to sell it or part it out PLEASE CONTACT ME ASAP! LOL

That's something I'm considering right now. I just got it running again and remembered how much fun it is, but there are so many little things to do.:ohdamn:

That's something I'm considering right now. I just got it running again and remembered how much fun it is, but there are so many little things to do.:ohdamn:

I know man it's a sickness LOL But put it this way, least you got someone lined up for parts and would be helping another DSMer out :thumb:

If it running you could trade me for my dsm. :thumbup: LOL only problems with mine are cosmetic. Engine is solid. Professional rebuild. Everything done right but it'd be hard for me to get rid of it. LOL

If you ever come south looking for a car haul that one, and ill give you the cash to buy another if you leave that one in my yard ;)

P.s. My friend has an unmolested 1g awd auto talon thats wants a 2g awd. same color as yours. its a 90 with flip up lights.

Fix it. Go cut a price out of a junkyard car and weld it in. As for little things. Every DSM has little things that always need foxing. Clean car it'd be a shame to see it dissapeer

Fix it! That is at least an easily accessible area. Do you have any access to a welder, or someone who knows what their doing?

Should be nothing more than drilling some spot welds out and tacking it back in. Some spray paint to prevent more rust and she's good to go.

If you have a drill, a grinder, and some way to weld then the rest is a fun father/son project I'd say.

Well, I'm committed to give it go. The new rad support came in today. Hardware and rubber isolators need to be my next purchases. There is rust on each of the strut towers but that can be patched and painted without much problem.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This Is almost becoming a build thread. I did make some progress today and it's making me feel better about continuing. All the rusted support parts are off. Now I need to prep the new part to weld in.

I got the new part welded in and crudely painted. Just need to reassemble things now - and replace all the bolts that snapped off when I took things apart.:thumb:

Easy easy. If you need some extra bolts contact vtec_this ! They sell assorted bolts quite regularly! Will definitely help

I have had my talon for 4 months...did not run when i got it but i put some work into it and got it goin and almost road legal and ready for fun...in other words your son will love it man! these cars have their issues as do all but after you put the work into it you both will have some fun again.
Plus you wont have to look at buying another car that you dont know anything about

I have had my talon for 4 months...did not run when i got it but i put some work into it and got it goin and almost road legal and ready for fun...in other words your son will love it man! these cars have their issues as do all but after you put the work into it you both will have some fun again.
Plus you wont have to look at buying another car that you dont know anything about

The car has been inspected and on the road for some time now. It took a lot more work than I thought it would. One I got it running and driving around a little, the water pump started leaking. The guy who replaced it 7 YEARS AGO covered it under waranty. I only had to pay labor, which is the bulk of that job.

It's been getting my son to school and work. He's happy and it makes things easier for me. He leaves for the Navy in July, so I'm hoping it lasts until then without much trouble. Then we'll see what we are doing with it. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back