The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Tire Size

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSX'er587

15+ Year Contributor
May 9, 2004
Novi, Michigan
I was about to buy sumitomo tires off tire racks site but the size is 205/55/16..do u think that is too small? I have a 95 eclipse GSX and want to be able to get some decent launches and decent handling. Is that width just too small or is that ok? :dsm:

You drive a 3200# pig, so, yes, those aren't wide enough. However, to get everything that a tire has to offer, it must be on a wide enough rim. So if you're on 16x6 wheels (stock), then you really can't go much if any wider. 225s want 7" or 7.5" rims. 245s want 8" rims (and see benefits from 8.5").

My suggested 2G streets: 245/40/17s on 17x8 (offset: +37 to +40mm. Alterantive for drag-racing focus: 245/45/16 on 16x8 (same offset).

The point of those different suggestion is this: one of the things that makes a tire good for turning - i.e., a stiff sidewall - is exactly what you don't want for launching. Also, you want to keep the rotational moment of the wheel & tire as low as possible for drag-racing. Both of these argue fo a smaller-diameter wheel and higher profile tire for drag racing. But this isn't as good for turning, so you will have to compromise, although adjusting tire pressure can do wonders, too.

Last point: R-compounds (the pseudo-racing tires we use to autoX) have very stiff sidewalls. So we can get the best of both worlds. For example, a 245/45/16 Hoosier 03 or Kuhmo Victoracer on a 16x8.5" wheel has great turn-in and lateral stability, while also having a lowish rotational moment. Yummy. That's why you see those crazy Ultimate Street Car people on such. (Of course, one pot-hole when riding on a Hoosier R and it's tire to call the Tire Rack.)

- Jtoby

I ran 205s on my '95 for a year. It makes the steering wonderfully light, holds better in wet and snow, but also wore out rapidly. If you're doing "launches", it'll save some wear on the parts you hate so much that you are driven to attempt murdering them.

If you're driving close enough to the edge of modern tires' capabilites that you're in any risk of out-driving them, then you have no business on the street with a car anyway.

No business on the street? LoL ok bud anyways thanks for the help :dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back