The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

The difference between a small 16g and a big 16g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsm-onster

DSM Wiseman
Jul 11, 2004
Bloxom, Virginia
As a farewell to my small 16g (sold it on ebay), here's a little bit of first hand experience had and study I've done with the turbo that may b beneficial. Some of you, of course, already know this. But, this is good info that I've noticed and think it should be brought up to those that don't know and are on the fence about which 16g turbo to buy.

I bought my small 16g instead of a big 16g for one VERY important reason. Vs. the big 16g, it is much more efficient and only flows about 2lb/min less. At 38lb/min flow at the edge of the map it has PLENTY of flow for a 350whp goal. The most common goal for a person buying a 16g.

The small big and evo3 16g have the same turbine wheel and turbine housing.

Small 16G:

1) Flows 38lb/min at 65% efficiency at 21psi (ambient pressure 14.67psi).
2) Smaller compressor wheel for faster spool speed
3) Over 70% efficiency up to 36lb/min and up to 25psi at that flow. Any lower boost at that flow or any less flow at higher boost is MORE efficient.
4) Higher efficiency islands. Less energy is wasted to heat instead of converted to boost. So it takes less exhaust energy to achieve a boost. Less exhaust energy means higher boost at lower rpms, or faster spool. The small 16g has a substancial 77% efficiency island

Big 16G:

1) Flows 572cfm at 60% efficiency at 25psi. 572cfm X .07 = 40lb/min.
2) Larger compressor wheel has more rotational inertial which slows spool.
3) Over 70% efficiency up to only 444cfm. 444cfm = 31lb/min. Anymore flow demand or any higher boost at that flow demand is under 70%.
4) There's no plus 71% efficiency island substancial enough in size to help reach boost with less back pressure than a small 16g. More back pressure at spool up and more lag equal LOTS less torque.

I've been around both turbos for years and the big 16g is always more laggy even after direct swaps and has always needed more timing tweeking during spool up, which I attribute to the less efficient compressor demanding more exhaust manifold pressure to get the job done. All for 2lb/min in peak flow??? My stock longblock except for fp2 cams with 3" exhaust and ebay fmic setup extracted 36lb/min from the small 16g, on a warm day at 22psi. If I want those extra 2lb/min, I'll get an evo3 16g and go for the extra 4lb/min it provides over the small 16g. In the meantime, the small 16g is FAR more efficient and spools noticably faster. Which is not a suprise since the small 16g was released after the big 16g was taken off of the evo cars. To me, the small 16g is MHI's revision of the big 16g.

The small 16g compressor map shows kg/sec for airflow. The big 16g map is unlabeled. But likely m^3/sec in airflow. Otherwise it would be in kg/se and not much better than the 14b compressor WRT flow.

Conversion factors:

(PR X 14.67psia) - 14.67psia = Boost
kg/sec X 60sec X 2.2046lb/kg = lb/min
m^3/sec X 60sec X 35.3ft^3/m^3 = CFM
CFM X .07 ≈ lb/min

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I don't know about you, but the big 16g isn't worth it to me. Yet, for some reason they sell for the same price or more than the small 16g when new. The big 16g is older tech that produces marginally better results when pushed to the absolute limit and anywhere before that is inferior in almost every way.

The evo3 16g has the same size exducer as the big 16g and spools about the same because of it. It has a slightly larger inducer diameter and a smaller diameter hub, which increases flow. It also has thinner blades. Which I think makes up for the slightly larger inducer diameter to create the same spool speed of the big 16g. The evo3 16g also is still 70% efficienct up to about 38lb/min. Since it spools the same as the big 16g and flows 3lb/min more than the big 16g AND is still 70% efficient at up to 38lb/min, if you're willing to deal with slightly more lag than the small 16g to get more flow, then don't bother with the big 16g, IMHO. It only flows 2lb/min more thant he small 16g and the evo3 16g spools the same and is more efficienct.

Interestingly, the 151K rpm line is probably a safe maximum that MHI is showing for the sake of warrantee and oem applications, correct? Take a look at the 60% efficiency band on the small 16g compressor map. It is easy to extrapolate in your mind how the curve would look after 151K rpms. There's more flow there. You will have to push the turbo, but the bearing section is the same as the 14b bearing section, and the 14b has a 170K rpm line on the compressor map. I havn't calculated the tip speed of the small 16g at specific rpms, but it's clear that more flow is there. And as evidenced by many results with a clipped small 16g, the compressor can push more flow than 38lb/min.

How would the Small 16G's total overall flow potential vary depending on exhaust housing choice?

-6cm2
-Ported 6cm2
-7cm2
-Ported 7cm2
-Bullseye TMM1 (8.5cm2?)

Just curious; I know how important turbine housing choice is to getting maximum compressor efficiency out of Garrett turbine wheels....I'm not sure how relevant it would be to milking the Small 16G for all it's worth. Sometimes a bigger turbine housing and losing a couple RPM's of spool is well worth it to gain some flow on top.

Well as you know, the turbine has nothing to do with the compressor map. The compressor map only shows flow potential. A better flowing turbine will cause you to move down and to the right of the compressor map. You will have more flow at a lower PR. The 6cm^2 housing will move you up and to the left.

Porting a turbine housing does not alter the a/r so does not increase the flow of the turbine housing. It is done to increase the flow of the transition, IF no seal ring is used. If you don't use a seal ring and you port match the transition from the manifold to the housing, then you've created a larger volume in the collector. This no doubt reduces velocity. Which all around is not very good for a turbocharger.

Awesome. Yeah I realized the a/r would be the same, I just thought maybe the added flow potential of the the ported turbine housing would allow the compressor wheel to shine a little more- much like clipping a turbine wheel.

So you're saying the Small 16G with a standard, unported 7cm2 turbine housing mated to an Evo III exhaust manifold with the sealing ring in place would be the best choice to achieve maximum flow out of the Small 16G?

How would a different size compressor cover affect the flow map?

I have a HRC Super 16G, which is a Small 16G with slightly larger compressor cover that also gets rid of the j-pipe.

From what I read a larger compressor cover will make it more efficient at lower psi, but hurts you at higher boost. This correct?

Thanks.

Here's how the big 16g fairs with a compressor cover upgrade from the td05h to the td06. the td06 cover map has no 145K rpm line but you can see the peak flow is not that different.

Attachments

• Compressor cover comparison.jpg
    Compressor cover comparison.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 4,818
Thanks Matt. Looks like a larger cover widens the map and makes it more efficient.

The large cover lowered high boost efficiency and put the surge line farther to the left. No difference in 60% flow efficiency. Trading high boost efficiency for the benenfit of preventing compressor surge isn't a good trade for a 16g :)

Here's my personal speculation on where the 145K rpm curve would be on the td06 big 16g compressor map:

Now the small 16g has a larger trim number and smaller magor diameter. I'm not exactly sure how much those two variable will change the effect of compressor a/r.

good info, i have made 375hp at 19-20 psi on a small 16g....i think..it came of a jdm galant motor....also had yellow top injectors but it might have been a big 16? any way i have made 375hp and ran 12.3 at 114mph in my galant. good turbo for a mild daily car.

Yep. I like mine. Great spool and great power. Really freaks people out when they get beat by a S16G car. It does great on pump gas @ 22psi Creeping to 25-26 with timing at a max of 18* by redline.

What about enlarging the turbine housing exit... Before it enters the 02 housing...

I have a 14b, and I believe the small and big 16 use the same size housing, but the transition to say an evo3 02 housing/ punishmnet 02 housing like I have is a full 2.5".. Whereas the exit on the turbine housing is less than 2.1".... I had my "exit" I'll call it, cnc'd/ enlarged and matched to the evo 3 gasket...

It seems as if the spool is earlier, but also seem to run out of air faster........ Makes sense, I guess....

Any input on this.....

I have run 12.32@109 with my 14b..... I'm starting to wonder if this is slowing me down....

I love the 14b. Yes port matchign the outlet is a big help for a 14b. I ran a 13.5 with a FWD and stock fuel and smic with a 14b. I love them!!! Porting matching will help curb turbulance and will give larger outlet, both will assist spool and overall flow. Anything that helps the turbine get the gases out better helps the turbine flow better.

I love the 14b. Yes port matchign the outlet is a big help for a 14b. I ran a 13.5 with a FWD and stock fuel and smic with a 14b. I love them!!! Porting matching will help curb turbulance and will give larger outlet, both will assist spool and overall flow. Anything that helps the turbine get the gases out better helps the turbine flow better.

Thanks for the info.... I love my 14b too..... My 12.32 is on smic, 650cc/ upper pipe/ maf-t/

I've since added a quartermaster clutch, and the huge ETS fmic... Along with other tid bits...:thumb:

Glad to see you not give up on it though you have a 109mph trap. What is your race weight?

The only reason I havent switched yet, is money is too tight....

My car is Laser rs.... Has no a/c, no cruise control, no abs, no rear wiper,from the factory... I've since pulled the p/s, a line busted right by the rack, so I pulled it.... And since its been parked
I've also pulled the heater core, (refuses to work), and anything else thats unneeded...
I've also got a shep trans, qm clutch, 2g mani, punishment 02, cop, evo8 intake,and some other bs....

I know my car looks kinda ghetto...But its fast....

By Welcome!, shot with KODAK CX7530 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA at 2008-12-11

Did anyone ever come up with an Evo III map? I know you and I discussed this way back, Matt, in this thread. I recall Josh talking about the similarities between the two maps here.

The evo8 and evo3 are the same. I was under the impression that the a/r of the comrpessor housing is different between thewo. But evein if it is, look at the difference in the big 16g maps with the td06 housing. No flow is lost but efficiency is. But i've seen the evo8 16g up close and I can't see an a/r difference from my rudamentary measurements. The evo8 compressor map is the same as the evo3 compressor map. Those that tote "there's no map wo we don't know the flow" are lost and they may say this turbo can flow 50lb/min for all we know. Well they also know nothing about the evo8 turbocharger. . . Robert of Forced Performance is correct.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back