The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Strange Electical problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madcap

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 7, 2006
East Douglas, Massachusetts
So heres my problem. Last week I installed a full exhaust (down-pipe back). I finish up and open the door to get in and notice there are no interior lights. Then I find out my p/locks and windows aren't working. I check the fuses and they all looked ok. After about 1/2 hour of fuse checking and letting it run, all of a sudden it all comes back. BUT..... now my headlights noticeabley dim and the battery light comes on. I figure its the alternator and try to make from my folks house where I did the work to my Apt. in the city before it completely craps out. As I'm driving down the high I notice the Speedo seems of and the Tach is jumping around from 0 to 3000 like nuts. Needless to say I didn't make home. Tried to jump it, didnt work needed a tow.
OK, I thinking its GOTTA be the alternator. I swap it out for a new one and I jump start it still no power on the inside. Plus it doesnt hang on long and dies. So, I toss in a fresh battery and it starts and runs(but still no power inside). So, I now I gotta assume it would only be a matter of time until that battery dies if drive it like it is. Sorry for the long post but I need help badly.

Did you check the fuses under the hood? I had the same problem and it was the 80 amp fuse under the hood.

eviltalon1 said:
Did you check the fuses under the hood? I had the same problem and it was the 80 amp fuse under the hood.

I checked the fuses under the hood. Which one was it? I'll take another look and double check. And as far as I can tell the grounds seem ok.

Well I checked under the hood again and low-and-behold I found a blown 100Amp fuse. Good news is I have all interior power function back again. BUT the battery still isnt holding a charge. Anyone ever run into a problem like this?????

Have the alternator checked. Its possible to get a bad alternator. Happened to me 3 weeks ago. I bought one from advanced in a crunch ( boss yelled at me over that). It was bad. Took it back and got one from NAPA, all was well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back