The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

squeaking sound...help?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talon11

20+ Year Contributor
May 14, 2002
Reno, Nevada
For about the last month, my car has been making a squeaking kind of sound whenever I go from excellerating to coasting. It only happens when upshifting or letting off the gas from between 3 and 4k rpm. At first I had thought that it was just my shift linkage squeaking, but I found later that it makes the sound whether I shift or not, so it has nothing to do with the linkage or the clutch. Since it occurs during a change of torque to the car, is there a possibility it could be my transfer case slipping or something? Any Ideas?

Had a shrill noise coming from my motor, found the TB to be very loose so jumped into the TB nightmare. I found the TB tensioner pulley, the idler pulley and the bal shaft pulley were all completely dry. pried off the seals, flushed with degreaser and packed full with high-temp grease.Have the belst back on now but have questions regarding the timing of the bal shafts. My understanding is that the oil pump bal shaft is in correct phase when if you rotate the bal shaft timing mark to straight-up and then release, it rotates towrds the timing mark on the motor. Is there a similar procedure for aligning the ther bal shaft in phase? It looks like the bal shafts rotate 2x for every crank pulley rotation. I know there is a way to insert a screwdriver into an access hole to align these shafts, but can't seem to locate the plugs and appears there is not enuf clearance to get in there with a screwdriver--so what's the alternate procedre for timing the bal shafts?
What is the verification procedure for cranking the motor thru by hand--basically, given all the horro stories, would like to make sure all is correct before firing it up--OK,OK,yes, I'm totally paranoid about breaking the motor--any advice greatly appreciated--gregorio

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back