The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Short shifter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96talonchick

Proven Member
Feb 3, 2016
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
On my other 2g's I have eBay shifters. They needed slight modification to use as well, it's eBay crap. What I want to know is do shifters matter and should I spend the extra for a better name than eBay crap? Picked up a 2g AWD and want to do things more than half ass this time.

Bar none, the best mass produced short shifter for the 2g is the B&M shifter. They can be had used, as they are LONG out of production. I would also replace the base plate and shift cable (trans side) bushings.

A short shifter can help take some of the "slop" out of the shift assembly. You would notice a much more positive engagement with one. The basic idea is to reduce the amount of movement while shifting making for a "quicker" shift.

Last edited:
Agreed on the B&M shifters. I bought one new, when they were still produced, when I had my first spyder. I loved it. The gsx donor I bought for my 2nd spyder, just happened to have one as well. I put it in that spyder too, but it was one of the few parts I removed before selling the car. I no longer have a manual DSM, but my current gsx will get a manual swap eventually and the B&M will go on it too. They seem to be properly weighted and just make shifting feel so much better.

Stay away from the eBay crap. The closest thing to the B&M is the Megan short shifter from what I've been seeing. Been looking into one myself but I'm torn between that and chopping the stock shifter about an inch.

They will sell for whatever someone is willing to pay for one. When sold new, they retailed around the $165-180 mark. No doubt, one could still fetch that today for a used unit in perfect working condition. When they were regularly sold in used condition (while new ones were available), they would average in the $80-125 range.

Last edited:
I got a cheebay on then happened to find my B&M at a junk yard up in DC 3 years ago. Paid 25 bucks for it. A good amount of old DSM's had them, my buddy found one for his 2g not too long ago at the same junk yard, he ended up paying 20$.

I had a noticeably different feel between the two.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back