The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Headlight wiring problem? [Merged 4-8] melted socket

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95gts-eclipse

Probationary Member
Feb 6, 2008
new bedford, Massachusetts
Just recently my passenger headlight went out so typically would assume blown bulb went bought new bulbs and replaced and it still didn't work so then i proceeded to pull out the volt meter and check the outlet itself and was getting no juice there were could the problem be if one headlight works and other doesn't? i have looked for the wiring and it goes down to a splitter type thing under the passenger light nothing look burnt or anything then the wires go behind fender and was looking for any advice before i rip apart my front end to find these wires

I had the same problem with my car, but i have the halo projector lights,
i went and bought new bulbs and it still didnt work,
who ever did the wiring in my car did a shitty job and the wires rusted out and had to be replaced.
hope that helps.
but i would looks for stretched wires

Look for melt damage to the socket the bulb plugs into. Replacements are on the racks at the parts store, and Posi-locs will hold forever if you don't feel like soldering in a hole.
The plastic on the 2G terminal holders is crap and tends to melt out of shape. Once that starts, the contacts loosen, resistance goes up, the connection heats up and melts the holder. Up-watting the headlights will almost guarantee it happening.

My left headlight was out so I went to change it and the plug on the harness is melted around one of the metal prongs and on the bulb where it connected to the harness. What could be the cause of this. Id like to get a new light in there asap so I dont get pulled over but the harness is pretty damaged so Ill have to replace it and i dont want it to just happen again when I put the new one in. Id like to fix the source of the problem.

Thanks,
Ryan

The factory plastic is shit, as are the factory spade terminals. They get hot, lose their spring, begin to lose contact, arc and melt the plastic housing. A new set of plugs from the AutoGrandKragenPepChiefBoysZone is all you need. Twelve bucks.

Do not bump your threads. Ever.

My driver side headlight was out, so I went out and bought some new bulbs and while I was taking the old bulb out of the socket, I noticed the whole socket the bulb fits into was burnt out. It looked as if someone took a lighter to one side of it.

The wire was corroded right before going into the socket and it looks as if someone took a lighter to it.

I cut the wire and taped it off the wire for the time being.

So, obviously I need a new part but am wondering if anyone knows the part number or can help me find it.

Also, what could be the cause of this? If I rewire a new headlight socket onto the existing wire, how would i know if this problem would not occur again?

Sorry I don't have a picture of it, but I can get one this wknd if need be.

You probably had some corrosion there. When electricity flows through a corroded wire it creates heat. The heat of the wire then transferred to you bulb socket.

Yah too much current. Current=heat. My hid's did the same thing except got hot enough to melt the plastic together, and make the entire wire harness one wire.
Go to the junkyard and cut off the harness you need.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back