The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

[RESOLVED] what is this? (Charcoal canister)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostingsx98

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 23, 2008
Seven hills, Ohio
i currently have a 98 gsx. I was doing my intercooler piping and there is this black box located in the front lower driverside with all these hoses and lines connected to it...
Can anybody tell me what this black box does and can i remove it so i have more room for my intercooler piping?

Looks like this? (Please ignore the green circle :p)

84841d1214797142-2g-engine-bay-electrical-connections-27.-evaporative-purge-solenoid-medium-.jpg

That's your charcoal canister. It can be removed if you don't have emissions testing. Otherwise, it has to stay in for your car to pass.

I believe that Is the charcol box on a 2g you can remove it, since it's part of the emission system it will throw a CEL and u may not pass local emissions testing.

It actually doesn't throw a CEL, and you can pass emissions without it.

Don't forget to re-route the vent lines from the gas tank. Otherwise you'll get a nice whiff of gas fumes, bleh.

i want to take my canister off too but how do you reroute the fuel tank hoses? Btw when it gets hot outside where is the gas tank going to vent the fumes if the canister is removed?

i want to take my canister off too but how do you reroute the fuel tank hoses? Btw when it gets hot outside where is the gas tank going to vent the fumes if the canister is removed?

The atmosphere if not rerouted correctly.

All the canister does is takes the fuel that evaporates and is temporarily held there till it is drawn into the intake manifold to be burned. It prevents excessive pressure build up in the gas tank. If you remove the can and you roll your car you could leak fuel... something to think about.

I don't think that it's just a FWD thing. On my 97 GSX, I have the cannister underneath the battery and on that side, I have an automatic transmission cooler that was stock for my car.

d

okay i have questions about this. Do I route the two lines together or do I run them somewhere else??

I just read another post that said put a small filter in place of the canister.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/pro...took-my-charcoal-canister-off-what-about.html

For yall with 98s, they moved the charcoal canister which was under the battery on previous years and put in under the driver side headlight. When they did this they replaced the hose clamp at the end with a tube that pointed down to vent to atmosphere.

95 - Charcoal canister under the battery and hose clamp at the end
98 - Charcoal canister under the driver side headlight and a tube pointing down

I'll chime in on this one. My '98 Spyder GS-T has no charcoal canister. I got it used, but it was stock and unmodded in all aspects. Don't see why anyone would have removed it so I guess the car just didn't have it.

I bought my 99 gst used as well but I've checked several times and I don't see any lines nor a charcoal canister on either the driver side nor under the battery....

So I'm guessing some 99's didn't have charcoal canister's lucky me!!!! :D

I baught my GS-T Spyder bone stock with 32 000miles on it and it had NO canister, but I still removed all the fuel evaporation system anyways....

Some of the emissions stuff on late 2g GST's is in the back above the fuel tank. The charcoal canister is actually inside the fuel tank.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back